1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Poofy5..What name brand Media are U useing..Sounds more like a Disc prob too me.If by chance U are useing a good name brand,then U might try running the AVI through VirtualDub,or NanDub.Just make sure U set your Video to DirectStream & save your new AVI as [movie name].Again invest in some DVD RW's,OfficeDepot just had a sale 7.99 for 25

2. pingpong1

pingpong1 Member

Dear Poofy,

Ok, let me get this straight. You want to know what Format you should burn your dixv files so you can watch them on the dvp5140.

1) I dont have a DVP5140, but have had 4 different DivX compatible Philips DVD players, and so far they have loaded DivX files in the same way.

2) When you say FORMAT, are you refering to the type of CD/DVD you want to create? e.g. Data CD, video CD, etc.

If you are then I use Create a Data CD/DVD, I do not use multisession as I have found that anything you add later no does not play on any of the DVD players. Always finalise the disc.

3) If burning several DivX's onto one DVD, make sure you label the Divx files wisely as the name of the file is the title that shows up in the menu.

Not sure how else I can help, as I always found this part quite straight forward. The only thing with DivX I cant stand is all the codecs and compatibility issues.

Anyway I hope I helped.

Regards
    Billy

(In Nero) should I burn my DivX files to so I can watch them on my Philips dvp5140?

3. loki21

loki21 Member

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

loki21..Little bit of a price difference.U can't really trust name brands any more.I have found that less expensive (cheap)is sometimes better or the same same as,On the inside.Fisher($150.00)for example,is Daewoo($49.00).BOTH identical on the inside,just different cases.Anyway would have to have a few more specs on your Pioneer.Let me know if its got a GoTo Bttn on it.That is a feature I really miss.Also 1 draw back on the 5140 is the pause,if U are away frm the unit for more then 10mins it cuts of,no resume
    The same unit iat the J&R Store is 76.00inclding shipping
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=PIO+DV393S.&JRSource=zdnet.datafeed.PIO+DV393S.
    Its definetly got some good fearures
    Conveniences DV-393-S
    Advanced GUI (Graphical User Interface) Yes
    Advanced Disc Navigator with moving thumbnails Yes
    Resume Function (Stop Key) Yes
    Continue Play Memory (Last Memory) Yes
    Repeat Mode (All, Title/Chapter, A-B) Yes
    Programme Play Yes
    Still/Step Play (Forward/Reverse, DVD Video only Yes
    Slow Play (Forward/Reverse, DVD Video only Yes
    Random Play Yes
    10-Key Direct Search and Play (Chapter/Track) Yes
    Title Search Yes
    Track/Time search Yes
    Remote Control Unit Yes
    Auto Power-Off Yes
    HERES A LITTLE BIT BETTER SPEC SHEET
    http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=12188&taxonomy_id=45-64
    Bloody Brits got it all over us when it comes to SPECS & TV shows
    BET this unit is over 200bucks US IN England

I would definetly buy this unit if I needed another 1,just to run it through my torture test.You would know the 1st day if it is what U wanted(bells&whistles),if not take it back..Buy the 3Yr extended warranty.RUN the unit 24/7 for three mons constant,if it holds up thats good.But definetly buy frm a local outlet(Walmart 30day return policy)even if U pay a little more.Shipping is not covered on any warranties
    OK so I ramble,just wait you'll be 60 soon..HAHA

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2006
  5. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  6. ironD

ironD Guest

Hey Rick......when it goes off when it's on pause, when you turn it back on and it says loading....push the play button once or twice and it will resume where you left off.

D

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ironD..Thanks for the tip,that worked just great.Got any more little TIPS?

8. loki21

loki21 Member

thanks rick. i think i'll go to walmart and pick up the 5140.

9. ironD

ironD Guest

Ha ha.....I am glad I was able to help. I forget where I read that, because someone hipped me to it. That's the only one I can think of...oh you know about making it region free?

D

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ironD..oh you know about making it region free?
    NO i don't ? is their a significant reason for that

11. Madness

Madness Member

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Madness..VERY GOOD THREAD FOR THE 5140..I noticed a firmware update for the 5140/12,is their a difference frm that to the 5140/37.
    Dumb-ASS question what is DVD-WMA
    I know what a DVD is,& I know WMA is windows audio.So is DVD-WMA music in the WMA format on A DVD.
    I've converted some MP3s to DVD its quite time consuming,did'nt really find it convenient as some songs skipped in an unpleasant way on the DVD,so I went back to the plain CD mode
    I know this is of topic!But the 5140 is supposed to play DVD-WMA..I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL IT IS!!!

13. Madness

Madness Member

From what I gather, "DVD-WMA" is just as you said: WMA files on a data DVD. I've never used WMA, myself, not giving into the "MS-BS." I always used MP3 and have put them on DVD+RW's, making "DVD-MP3" discs.

As for the player variations, all I know is that the "/12" version is for Europe and the "/37" for the US. However, there is an upgrade now available for the 37 (link below) but I haven't yet tried it. The PDF readme file simply states that the only improvement is an, "audio performance upgrade." More details would've been a plus.

http://www.usasupport.philips.com/productDocuments.html?ProductCode=DVP5140/37

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Madness..Thanks for the info..Audio DVD Creator..Apollo Audio DVD Creator..These are the programs I've tried,but about every third song is skippy on DVD's [Ritek 4xRW],but on CD their fine.What program do U use?I like the idea of hrs of music

15. Madness

Madness Member

I wouldn't rule out the media. Ritek, while it isn't the worst media, isn't the greatest, either. I've used 4x Memorex-branded Ricoh +RW's (of which the latter is a top OEM) and have had no skipping trouble.

To make MP3's from my CD collection, I always use Exact Audio Copy w/ Lame. Never failed me.

16. RedFarmer

RedFarmer Guest

I'm thinking of getting this player as a replacement for my Centrum Gemini 350 (have problems with its tray). The Gemini player does a pretty good job with playing XViD files, will this one do the job just as well?

And... Can i select which srt subtitle i want to use and then just play the movie or do the subtitle need to be named the same as the movie and it will play it automatically?

I may be off here but why so much buzz about DiVX, isn't XViD the most common format these days?

Answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

17. RedFarmer

RedFarmer Guest

I think i found the answer about the subtitles. Srt subs and such need to be named the same as the movie. Too bad as i have lots of XViD DVD's not burned this way =(

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well Exact Audio Copy is good for ripping CD's but not for putting MP3's on a playable DVD

19. Madness

Madness Member

Duh! Thought you asked what I ripped with. To make the discs, I always use RecordNow! (same for Divx's).

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Madness..Don't sweat the little things in life.I read wrong sometimes too!BUT I'm still looking for a good MP3 to DVD Program,I've alway liked a lot of music on sumthin [reel 2 reel for example].Imagine a 4.3 gig disc with 3.5meg MP3's,thats over 1200 songs.You'd NEVER HAVE TO GET UP TO change the Disc