1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. C92

C92 Member

Lol, um Rick. What exactly is a MP3 to DVD program and what does it do??
    I dunno about you, but when i make mp3-DVDs or mp3-cd's I burn them as data [iso]in Nero.. And yes, Ive gotten over 1300 mp3's on 1 dvd b4 [Had a lot of 128kbps on it].

Which brings me to something I just figured out the other day thats semi-related to what you are talking about. Lately I've been burning DVD's with Xvid Avi Music videos. Well, yesterday I had a batch of 80 music vids to burn to a DVD but each music video was in its own seperate folder that also contained junk HTTP links and text files. I didnt really feel like opening all 80 folders and plucking the videos out then deleting the rest of the crap for the next 2 hours so I just burned as is, all 80 folders in the root dir each with a single video in it, and prayed for something good to happen. Well, it did. It turns out that the 5140/37 played them as if it was just a regular DVD with movies or music in the root directory. It went down the line playing everything on the DVD perfectly even though there was absolutely no music vids in the root directory. I did however have to enter the first folder and start the player on the first video, but after that it seemed to look inside each folder on its own and play EVERYTHING in that folder that it recognized disregarding what it didnt recognize. Yeah yeah, so im entertained pretty easy, so what :/ I thought it was the next best thing since I learned how to use the remote to eject the media!

2. C92

C92 Member

Well, hello folks. Lets see if we can revive this thread now shall we! I've had a Philips 5140/37 for 2 months now and its pretty much the best player Ive bought ever for under $60. I also own 3 Magnavox MWD 7006's and have had ZERO problems with either. They both have played everything they are supposed to and then some. I didnt use the 5140 too much when i first bought it because the Short Filenames really bugged me, and the Magnavox had double the characters that the 5140 did. I believe it was somewhere between 25 and 30. Its kind of a pet peeve I have. However, thats where the advantages of the Magnavox 7006 stopped. Besides that one thing the Philips 5140 is superior to the Mag 7006 in EVERY other way. No joking! Xvid/DivX//VCD/SVCD/JPG/Kodak Pic CD/MP3/WMA/MPG <----- Oh yeah it plays DVD-MPEGiso AND CD-MPEGiso. Plays differnt formats on 1 DVD or CD. For example I had Xvid movies in the same DIR as MP3's and WMA's and a JPG or Two. Played everything without flaw. I love this machine. Got it for 47$ at Wal-Mart. WOOOOT

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

C92..MP3toDVD is just what it implies..its a program that converts all your MP3's to dvd format..look at it this way!take 1 mp3 300million bytes& divide it into a dvd 4.36 [.300megs into4.36x1024=4,360.64million].thats a lot of songs on 1 DVD

4. GrimmTY

GrimmTY Member

Rick, you dont need any special program to put mp3's on a DVD just burn them like you do you divx files...as DATA. Thats it.

Why you would want to do that is another question as the player does not have any random play for mp3's and youll be stuck listening to them in order or highlighting each folder.

If you really want to play music get a squeezebox :)

As for this player, so far so good. I like it better then my DVP642s but I agree that not having a way to jump to a certain timecode with divx/xvid files is a real pain.

5. ryanvms

ryanvms Member

I have a quick question. I looked all over the internet and cant find the answer. I burn tv shows in standard avi file format to dvd-r as data dvds. I want to get a divx dvd player so i can watch them on the tv intead of the computer. The files play on my divx software on my computer , but will they play in a divx dvd player. again their avi files thats all i know. i never really worried a bout codec cuz i uzed vlc player and it plays everything. THanks
    Ryan

6. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Yes Ryan, if they are Divx or 3vix encoded files, they will play on any stand alone Divx player. The newest Xvid codec will also play on any stand alone, as they have now fixed many of the "problems" with custom quant type and 3 or more consecutive B-vops and the presence of N-vops.
    Re-encoding a file is very simple to do these days, and it is also extremely simple to diagnose problems with avi files with the right tools.
    Use and application called G-spot to determine which codec was used to encode the file.
    The current version of Mpeg 4 modifier is essential to diagnose your avi.
    Virtualdubmod is my application of choice for easy conversion when necessary.
    All of the above appz are completly free.
    Of course make sure that you have the latest versions of the Divx and Xvid codec on your computer.
    Tip: If you download video files (which I am not advocating, but hey, some people do this), look for files with Axxo in the filename... all of these files are compatible with any stand alone. ;-)
    Hope this answers your question! Happy shopping! :)

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ryanvms...Well it seems U know how to print,But don't know how to read..Just a punn..
    The answer to your question is pasted all over this forum..I bet U can't guess what the answer is [HINT Starts with a Y & ends in a S]..Can U guess?

8. ryanvms

ryanvms Member

Thanks for the g-spot tip. That came out wrong. Um i checked a few and their all in some form of xvid, so i guess im looking for a dvd player that plays specifically xvid codec.
    Thanks alot,
    Ryan

9. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

I don't believe you will find a player that is Xvid certified. Most of your files will most likely play just fine on any stan alone.
    The main things to look for are (use "mpeg4 modifier" for this, just drag your avi file onto the MPEG4Modifier.exe):
    Quant type: H.263
    no GMC or QPEL
    Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels
    no more than 2 consecutine B-Vops
    No N-Vops.
    All other readings should not make any difference.
    With these 5 criteria met, your file should play on any Divx player.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Xvid..Divx..AVI..All will play,with the exception of [GMC or QPEL]These will glow green in G-Spot if present.These files have to be converted..I highly recomend DrDivx

11. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

dvp5140 does play QPEL and GMC. This has been tested. Check out VideoHelp.com

12. ironD

ironD Guest

I don't know if I got a fluke or what but Qpel will play, but the GMC won't....
    D

13. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i have ran into many gmc files that will not play, they start to play for about 2 secs then freeze and say gmc not supported or something similar.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

basquiat...Thats very possible..Try useing DrDivx to ReDo your file won't lose any quality,might even improve it.Does not take very long

15. ironD

ironD Guest

I was agreeing with you....I have one and I know from personal experience that the GMC won't play but the QPEL will
    D

16. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i already use a program called avirecomp, works well, but when i first bought this player i burned many divx discs without checking because i assumed it would play gmc...now as i play some i see it dosent support them all.

17. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

Does the 5140 have the ability to resume play divx files with ultra content? I burned a regular divx file and pressed stop and turned the unit off and it didn't resume it when i hit play again and turning the unit back on, it just went back to the folder menu where i select w/e on the menu, quite annoying.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

qwik3r2...unfortunately these units don't have a goto bttn..But if i have to do something that takes a little longer than a cpl mins,I use the A B bttns to repeat a short sigment..

19. philup

philup Member

Is there anyway to make the subtitles on the Philps 5140/37 larger please? There to small.

20. ironD

ironD Guest

To be honest with you I don't see that there is a way, unless you might have a setting on your TV....sorry couldn't be more help,

D