1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Are these subtitles U added

2. zmzn

zmzn Member

I use both the DVP642 and the DVP5140. One big differance I can tell on the 5140 is the lack of 'resume playback'. What I mean is if I stop the playback of a DVD movie and leave for more than a few minutes, the 5140 shuts down and upon returning I press the Play button, nothing happens. I have to press the power button on the remote to restart the player. The bad thing is playback starts from the very beginning and not where I stopped playing the DVD move. The DVP642 did resume playback where I left off. Other than the resume playback (which to me is very annoying) I have no issuse with the DVP5140.

3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

definitely the 2 things that bother me on this player is the auto powersaver (afterl ike 15 minutes)which cant be turned off and the lack of ability to press display and type in manualy the time you want to skip to on xvids...but overall its a great player.

4. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

You do know that on the DVP5140 you just press play after you power it on and while it is loading it says "resume play" and it will resume a dvd. It however will not resume avi/divx files - which DOES annoy me, are you referring to those files or actual dvd movies?

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I just use the A B Repeat Bttns for 10 15 secs if I'm leaving for mor then a few secs

6. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

huh?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

qwik3r2...HUH

8. qwik3r2

qwik3r2 Member

Sorry i was confused about using the A/B repeat button and what that did exactly

9. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Question for widescreen TV owners - does the 5140 display XVIDs with the correct aspect ratio? My LG LRA-516 stretches them sideways.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I've got a 60" Sony most movies are played in a W/S Format.Every once in a while I'll get one that is cropped on the sides,or sides & top,Bttm.But it still makes for a nice size viewable area,about 40".When I run into a movie that is a little fuzzy,I use the zoom on the player to shrink the movie for a little better picture

11. matamoros

matamoros Member

Well, I have the Phillips 642, works sorta good, but rushed out to buy the 5140 at walmart since online was outof stock, on sale for $49+. Works well, does play a lot of assorted avi files that the 642 didn't play, BUT some things play on the 642 and NOT on the 5140. Namely some MST3K episodes I downloaded recently as part of a memorable 135 GB torrent and burned to a dvd. The message comes up something like "video codec not supported". Hm. I guess thats DivX for you, too many weird variatitions, but the 5140 is a definite improvement. Menu is better, seems to go from one file to the next more smoothly. Saw the 5960 at bestbuy for $84 has a usb input on the front for music/pix and supports divx ultra or whatever.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I myself classify any Electronic device U buy under $100.bucks as throw away when they break.But to the same respect,i will buy these type of units from somewhere that sell a cheap extended warranty [2-3 yrs]for 20.bucks,Still under 100bucks [JIC].WalMart does not offer this.I can't for the life of me figure out why people still go to WalMart,when these units are available at places like Target,Circuit City,& now even Radio Shack carries the 5140.These places still have extended warranties.The 642 has more Cons then Pros as I've read in most forums.I was fortunate with my 642,it broke within the 1st 30days & I was able to take it back.The 5140 seems to be more reliable,but I'm still skeptical as Phillips does not have a good repore with me.Some of their warranties are getting better,but not all.A year ago DivX Players were scarce on the consumer market,now it seems everyone is jumping on the band wagon.As popularity grows.I myself have talked 8 of my friends into buying these units.They are just so pleased.Also as I'm a movie Addict & a Series nut,I am able to convert all to DivX & STORE as much as 6 movies to one Disc & 12 Eposodes to the same

13. matamoros

matamoros Member

Yeah, I am philosophically opposed to shopping at walmart if I can avoid it, but it was $49 and newegg and amazon were out. Don't believe in extended warranties in general, word is that if you return something to walmart, raise a little ruckus and you will get refund/exchange even without having bought the item there. The power of billions. Sure dvdplayers are cheap, what about them should be expensive? There are several people I share divx movies with, I buy them players, sure don't want to pay $300 if I can pay $50. Kinda funny to see somebody buying Onkyo or somesuch just for the name.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

matamoros...Actually RadioShack had it cheaper last week when I was in their...it was like 42bucks..Also if where ever U shop they will do a prics check on other retailers & give it to U for the same price or even 10% cheaper..CircuitCity does that for me all the time

15. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I usually pass on the extended warranty, but DVD players are making me reconsider. My LG LRA-516 just crapped out after only 9 months (Actually, it still works except it blacks out for a few seconds whenever a bright picture is displayed, such as an explosion etc.). The parts are still under warranty, but the labor warranty is only 90 days. I called and they will repair it for $69 in advance. I think I'll trash it, get the 5140 with the extended warranty, and cross LG off my list hence forth.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thats the only reason I get the extended warranty..But I really abuse my electronics..T V & DVD Player are on 24/7

17. matamoros

matamoros Member

Rick, thanks for the recommendation for Radio Shack. For some reason I didn't consider them, now I will. As far as repairs, I think dvd players are like vcrs became, use them 'til they break, throw them away. Somebody who has successfully used an extended warranty needs to convince me otherwise.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

matamoros..I bought an LG 32"TV at BestBuy,it went out on me after 1 1/2yrs.Took it back to be repaired,to no avail,they could not resolve the problem.They gave me a brand new TV.Of course the extented warranty on a 32" TV is just a tad higher.Mine was,I think at the time 179.00bucks for 3yrs extnd.It is a bit of a hassel as they take forever,my whole experience took about 5wks.But just glad I had the warranty,saved me 800.00.I to was like U,still am to a point.Todays technolgy is inhanced,but name brand quality has deteriated,U definetly don't know whats inside.I bought a Fisher VCR back when,I paid about 120.00 for it,I needed another unit about a mon later,WalMart had a sale on Daewoo 29.00.I thought what the hell!Turned out the Daewoo was a Fisher.Just a different case.This will be my last post on this as I'm really getting off topic...SORRY Folks

19. matamoros

matamoros Member

thanks rick,
    not really off topic, since the dvp5140 is the defacto cheap dvd player for divx and suchlike for people who don't want to pay more than they have to, so it attracts a crowd of a certain mindset. btw, since last post i have found it works for a great number of vids that won't play in the 642, but still not perfect. much much quicker to recognize files than the 642, that thing must have a really slow processor.

20. rsvirani

rsvirani Member

Can you play XviD AVI files straight off the USB flash drive on the 5960 philips?