1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tdu

tdu Member

I can tell you that I leave mine on "Standard" pretty much all the time and have no issues brightness or darkness with any files I watch. I think I have only have to change it to "Soft" once out of about 50 movies I have watched.

2. blink142

blink142 Member

[bold]DVP642GUY[/bold]
    i'm totally having the same problem. it's exactly how you explained it. i'm having to adjust the "smart picture" to soft or custom or else the picture is too dark. it seems like no one else is having the same problem.

does anyone know if this is something we should be concerned about? should we exchange for a new one?
    thanks in advance.

3. ssddss

ssddss Guest

dponce80 and SStar269 Question for you there are two menu buttons in the remote which one ????

4. psimancer

psimancer Guest

question for the owners have any of you tried to play a minidvd (dvd on cd) disc in this player i am speaking of the dvd format files burned on a cd-r disc which in superep mode (320x240) will allow a 50 minute tv show to be stored on one cd recordable disc
    and play like a normal dvd disc
    the format is available in nero burning rom software and at 20cents a cd and entire 21 show season only costs $4.20 wheras storing the same on dvd in standalone playable format costs about $15.00
    oh and nobody steals my cd's but my dvd's get borrowed all the time *evilgrin*

ty fer yer time and patience

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2004
  5. tdu

tdu Member

ssddss, the 'system' menu button. Which is the one on the right looking down at the remote. I can also confirm the 'trick' seems to correct almost all playback problems. I had 4-5 movies that werent' playing right, and fixed the problem.

6. ssddss

ssddss Guest

Menu trick works fine. System Menu..once the movie started I pressed the menu button and again pressed the same menu button to close. Once the menu was closed my crapy look video started looking fine...

Codec : Xvid..AC3...
    I love it. Thanks for the person who found the trick..

7. tdu

tdu Member

"Thanks for the person who found the trick.. "

Ya I second that. I am not sure how you discovered that would fix the problem, but a huge thanks.

8. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

That menu trick... I hope they fix this with the next firmware release. It seems like this is just a bug and quick fix for the bug. The instruction manual doesn't mention this trick and doesn't tell you how to tell the dvd player their are subtitles in the same folder as the avi.

9. marlenus

marlenus Member

will this player play mp3pro as well as mp3?

10. lilricky

lilricky Member

Tried to test mp3pro, but it seems the only encoder is commerical and I cant seem to get it to like the wav files I produced. Could you point me to some legal mp3pro files so I can test it out?

11. marlenus

marlenus Member

i figured id ask before i tested it. anyway, i burned mp3pro content and it played it, however i forgot that mp3pro will play on all mp3 players at reduced sound quality. so it played, but i'm not quite sure if the player was playing true mp3pro (it just had a regular mp3 logo next to the songs). it sounded normal enough though, im not sure how obvious it would be if it didn't support pro.

12. fdlchurch

fdlchurch Member

Hello there. I just got my DVP642/37 and I'm having some trouble with it. The mpeg's I am trying to watch on it, play fine but the picture is so big that I cannot see the entire screen. I have tried to change the video settings to get the pic to fit but that doesnt work. I had an apex before this and you could zoom out and the picture was smaller, but at least you could see the whole thing.

I'm clueless about this stuff and I was wondering if there is anyone who has a solution to this problem or can suggest a program I might be able to use to make these video's the right size before I put them on cd.

Sorry for my stupidity! Thanks in advance for your help on this!

13. zmzn

zmzn Member

Most of my DivX files are encoded to 384x288 with 48k sample rate 96kb/s bit rate MP3 audio. I've noticed when playing the files in the DVP642/17 that the audio kind of stops for a second or two and then starts back up. The video/audio remains in sych after sound comes back but this gets very annoying while trying to watch the movie. Has anyone els had this problem and if so is there a way to correct this? I have flashed to the latest firmware but the problem is still there.

14. Gorm

Gorm Member

Hello.
    "Happy" (?) owner of DVP642/37. I wish I could read all 11 or so pages, but I am so angry right now I can't concentrate. I am angry because I am confused.
    Now, my problem.
    I recently purchased 50 pc. pack of DVD-R "Smartbuy" 4x
    I already have burnt maybe 10 disks as data disks (between 4 and 10 .avi's on each). Doesn't play - spits it right out. However, if I encoge .avi to .mpg, then burn Video DVD, using same disks, it works. WTF??? If I burn data CD using one of the files mentioned before - it works. I will try different brand DVDs, but what am I suppose to do with 50 pack spindel I've already bought? And what if next DVDs I buy won't work either?
    For all you lucky guys who have no problem with DVD-R playing .avi's, what mode did u use? Does the DVD burner play a role? I have BenQ DW822A. I tried to use Nero (6.0.0.11) and Roxio ECDC (6.0.0.171). I just checked, looks like I used UDF in ECDC and ISO9660 in Nero. Burned at 4x. What am I missing? It shouldn't be rocket science. I am computer guy... :weep: What's wrong?
    ANd the last question... I bought mine on October 29th. It says on the back of the unit that it was manufactured in August. Is ".../37" the firmware verion?

15. Crais

Crais Member

ZMZN:

Yes, I have the exact same issue. I first noticed it with some ancient divx files I d/l'ed from Usenet.
    But yesterday, I transcoded some mpeg2's to Divx with Dr. Divx. I still had the same issue sound issue. A few posts earlier, someone suggested that NTSC frame rate might be the issue; not sure though. I hope this is something that can be resolved in the future through a firmware update.

16. Givver

Givver Member

17. Foxcraft

Foxcraft Guest

Does anyone know wether this player will support subtitles if they file for the subtitle is laced into the video but not acutally part of the video feed, or does it only work when the two are placed on the disc as two seperate files with the same name?

18. posuser

posuser Member

I tried to read through these pages, but I got lost in a plethora of derailed and off topic posts :) So i figured I would add an offtopic post of my own, I apologize in advance. Does anyone know of a website or store that has this player in stock? Everywhere I go, it seems to be sold out. Am i screwed until after xmas or do i have a chance?

19. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Regarding the 1109 firmware. I just flashed my player successfully, and am wondering just what the "improvements" are. It fixes neither the occasional red/blue inversion problem nor the funky bleeding color problem when playing Xvid files. Not only that, but unless it's my imagination the quality of previously fine .avi files has actually degraded! I just watched a dvd full of 350MB DivX files which previously played great. After flashing to 1109 the picture appears noticeably darker and is jerkier than before. Tomorrow I'm calling Philips to see if I can go back to the 531 firmware, since this "upgrade" sucks. Anyone with a different experience please advise. Thx.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Thanks for the heads up. I was gonna reflash with the new firmware but I think I'll just wait until some more feedback before I decide if I will or not.