1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Thanks! I don't anticipate needing it either, but... better safe than sorry!

I have 2 of these players, so I will update the firmware on one but not the other at first. That way, I can compare the two and hopefully be able to determine what some of the differences are.

2. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Hmm... actually, I don't see an earlier version in http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_37/. The dvp642_37_fus_eng.zip file that is there looks like the same one that is linked to from http://tinyurl.com/6u8c9 (http://www.usasupport.philips.com/productDocuments.html?ProductGroup=HOME_AUDIO_VIDEO_GR&Categorey=DVD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&SubCategorey=DVD_PLAYERS_SU&Product=DVP642%2F37&SubCategoreyTitle=DVD+Players&SelectedImageLink=%2Fresources%2Fimages%2Fno_image.gif&ValidPost=true&SubCategoreyOther=&Level=Product&Submit.x=9&Submit.y=2 )

Is there some other place where I can find the earlier firmware?

3. aaronetc

aaronetc Member

Does anyone have any literature from Philips that says the DVP642/37 supports DVD-R(W)? I got one today and have had every DVD-R I throw at it spit out, even after upgrading to the 1109 firmware. These include Imation, Maxell and Dynex media, containing standard DVD video and one containing DivX files. Everything else has been fine -- CD-R's in VCD format or containing DivX files and commercial CD's/DVD's are great. I don't have DVD+R's around to test, and the manual and box only indicate DVD+R (I got it from Amazon, which does list DVD-R in the product description).

Another strange problem (which makes me think maybe it's just a bum unit) is that if I press the power button while the tray is out, it doesn't quite retract all the way, leaving about a centimeter sticking out.

If anyone has any information that hasn't been posted here already, I'd be very appreciative. This seems like a great machine, but it's going to look a lot worse if it won't play any of my DVD-R's, or if I have to go through the hassle of shipping it back for a replacement.

4. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

Crais,

I will test .wmv files and get back to you on that. I'll run avicodec to get the file specs too.

5. tdu

tdu Member

I have also had a few .wmv files play in mine. I have no idea which specific type they were. I was very suprised when they played. They were on a burned data DVD with a bunch of other clips.

6. detroit0

detroit0 Member

aaronetc --
    player works great with compusa DVD-R... these
    disks are made by one of the big taiwan companies,
    it's either ritek or one of the others.

disk tray should close.

sorry about firmware link

7. sagittari

sagittari Member

I've been using exclusively DVD-Rs and 99% have played on my 642/37. Philips documentation says the 642/17 will play them (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_pss_aen.pdf) but I can't find anything similar for the 37.

8. timekills

timekills Member

sagittari:

The easiest way to put them both on DVD is to use an ISO extracting program (there are many - I use MagicISO, but there are tons) and extract the .dat file from the (usually) MPEGAV directory. You'll have to rename the .dat file after you extract it, because it will be called the same thing on each CD (usually AVSEQ01.DAT). Make sure you extract the MOVIE file and not a small .dat file that sometimes is placed in the VCD by the people who made the (S)VCD. Just choose the file that is 100-600 MBs in size, not the small one, if there is a small one.

Once you extract the .dat files, if you name them in sequence (i.e. movie1.dat movie2.dat movie3.dat) and place them all in the same folder or root of the DVD, the player will play them in sequence. You don't have to convert to mpg, or merge, or anything.

9. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

I just picked up this player today. The reason being, of course, for the DivX playback.

It wasn't until right after I took it out of the box that I realized something that STILL wouldn't work for my uses...see, most of the DivX files I have are anime fansubs. So, when played on an "old-school" TV, you can't see the subtitles due to the overscan.

Is there an easy way around this? I know I can use programs to re-encode the files with some black space around them...but part of the reason I wanted this player was so I didn't have to convert anything anymore (I've been converting mpg and avi files to DVD-Video)

I'm planning on getting a new TV soon anyway, so I was wondering if those flat screen or digital ones did away with the overscan BS like a computer monitor does? Seems like they would, but I've never really paid attention and don't have one of my own yet to test it.

Any ideas?

[bold]EDIT: I now have seen the post above answering a similar question. I figured that's what I'd have to do. Kind sucks, though...of course, if anyone else has any more input, I'm all ears[/bold]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  10. Borric

Borric Member

I get this player tomorrow.. cant wait.. Ill wait on the upgrade.. see how it works first out of the box.

11. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Aaronetc, the 642 definitely plays dvd-rw discs. It's all I use with it, and it's never failed.

12. aaronetc

aaronetc Member

Thanks to those who replied to my question. I filed for a replacement with Amazon, so hopefully I'll be up and running properly sometime between Dec. 30 and Jan. 6. In the meantime, I picked up some DVD+R's to play with and am now really excited about this player's DivX capabilities -- it's going to be so cool to put entire seasons of 30-min shows on one disc.

13. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

You mean like all 22 episodes of S1 Arrested Development on one disc? Yeah, baby, it's schweeeeeeet ;-)

14. posuser

posuser Member

I was wondering what you guys thought about the comparison to a $100-$150 dvd player with progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown. I have a pansonic 47" HDTV and even with Monster component cables - its not as clear as I imagined it would be. My tv is tweaked...my ps2 is crystal clear, and the dvd's are a lot better on the ps2 when compared to the phillips. Do you think the phillips is just an average player at best, with divx playback? or do you think its above average when coming to progressive scan, chipset, and module?

15. seagullj

seagullj Guest

Can someone help me on this? I got my Philips DVP642K/69 (latest 1109 firmware) and everything was fine until I started playing a long DivX title (84 minutes) on CD-R. For some reason it when it reaches around 40 to 50 minutes the player stops and I get a ligh blue screen and sometimes distorted video. Sometimes the disc ejects after the playback stops. I have tried to use different discs (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+RW). All can playback clearly until it just stops before the end of the title. Once I managed to get the playback up to about 83 minutes on the same title but it stops near the end. I just cannot get this long title to complete without problem. If I play back the same title after this problem occurs, the playback can freeze event after first few seconds or few minutes. But after reseting (power off and on), the playback can last longer but never to the end of the title. I've also played the DivX trailers available on divx.com but these are 2 minutes trailers and no problem here. I also took a 2 minutes trailer and appended it repeatedly using virtual dub to create a 60minute looping trailer and same problem with playback. Overall it is a great player, but I bought it to play long DivX titles and this is what I cannot do with this player. Has anyone experienced this? Please help.

16. sagittari

sagittari Member

To Mattroid, re subtitles. I found this online, not sure if it will solve your issue or not. This was a response to complaints that the white subtitle text fades out on a light background. This trick gets the subtitles to display in a gray highlighted box.

1) Insert DVD/CD with single AVI/SRT file pair.
    Note: I did not have a multiple AVI/SRT disc handy to test.
    2) If data menu (navigation or folder/file list) does not
    appear, open it with Disc Menu.
    3) Select the subtitle file
    4) Press the subtitle button on the remote (selection will be
    confirmed)
    5) Press Disc Menu - play will begin
    6) When play begins, press the System Menu button (on the
    remote) twice - play will resume
    7) If subtitles are not displayed, press the subtitle button

Subtitles will be displayed with the translucent black
    background which improves readability. The font, however, will
    remain small and white.

Note that subtitle selection has no retention; so stopping the
    video and then playing again will require repeating all the
    steps.

17. sagittari

sagittari Member

Timekills, thanks. I have been trying different things and just can't get some movies to play. (With others the individual dat or mpg files work fine.) The weird thing with one movie is that I can't get it to play with just the dat file, or with the svcd files burned onto dvd, but when I burn the bin/cue onto a cd it plays just fine. But I don't wanna have to keep track of 2 cds! Oh well.

18. sagittari

sagittari Member

posuser, from what I've read I'd say it's only an average player, with divx being the main draw. there are more expensive divx players that will give you a better picture. i have a 32" tv and have been very satisfied with this player but if you have hdtv etc you might not be.

19. posuser

posuser Member

yes, exactly...the dvd player looked awesome on my 32" tube tv, but after upgrading to a 47" widescreen hdtv...everything now needs a boost in resolution and quality..except for the High Def channels. The DVD player isnt what i expected once i got the high def, but like you said...the divx player is what makes it acceptable. Thats the only thing i hate about widescreens, they pick up every flaw in the player, cables, and dvd, and even the tv itself.

20. ranmaman

ranmaman Member

hi i'm new and this has probably been answered but i didn't want to read through 20 pages of stuff to find 1 answer.

my philips 642/37 is spitting out about 1/2 the stuff i put in it, rether it be burned dvd's or divx discs or whatnot - yet the same dvd's work fine on any other player in the house. and some divx work and others don't

i son't know if it's just a S-TY player or i don't know what's wrong with it or whatever - i trie dthe region hack thing and didjn't do anything.

anyone be able to help me out and see WTF is wrong with the F-ING player - as far as i can tell it was a bloody waist of money if it just spits every freking thing i t put it back out