1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. detroit0

detroit0 Member

it's picky. and it doesn't do subtitles right. compared to a computer, it's in the stone ages. However for a standalone player, it's among the best and it's not really too expensive. So.... live with it and hope they keep making improvement in the firmware.

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

It just depends on factors too numerous to list but in general it's a pretty good dvd player. I read in some review someehere that it suffers from the chromabug. That 's basically where you get colors bleeding, mostly red due to an decoder problem.

3. pcss

pcss Guest

I have a DIVX file which has been encoded using QPEL and naturally it will not play on my 642. If I use Nerovision to create a DVD for this AVI file will this QPEL deal render the resulting DVD useless in my Philips DVP 642 player?

4. daniel+

daniel+ Member

Ok, i'm starting to lose it from not beeing able to play subs with XviD files. I only get a fat question mark instead of the SUB icon on the "Disc Menu" after I've copied both .sub and .srt to the disc.

Do I have a problem or are subs only compatible with DivX on the DVP 642 (DVP 640 European version with latest firmware 1109 properly installed).

PLEASE enlighten me!

BR
    /Daniel

5. posuser

posuser Member

just plugged in Monster VIDEO 2 component cables, enabled progressive, and also changed connection type in the DVD menu from Svideo to component. Looks a lot better now on my 47" Panny Widescreen. Its dependant on the DVD, but on Resident Evil - it looks flawless...on the older dvd's, not as good...but with the newer defined mastered movies, its perfect for me :)

6. ranmaman

ranmaman Member

any one know why the fusk the palyer just spits shit out without playing it - just starts to load then it opens it self up and spits it out - i've even tryied putting it back in multiple times. just spits the fusking thing out. anyone know what the problem could be?

7. posuser

posuser Member

ranmaman,

we'd all love to help you bro, but you have to give us some more information instead of a rant.

what cd's or dvd's are you using, what are you trying to play? Authentics or backups? Are you burnings cd's or dvd's? If so, what formats ? Avi, xvid, svcd, vcd, dvd? Give us some info so we can help you buddy...

The dvd spitting out the disc can mean any one of 1,000,000 things.

Peace.

8. sagittari

sagittari Member

Daniel it will not play vobsub (sub or idx) but it will play any plain text subs (like srt). One time I did get a questionmark instead of the subs, but all others have worked. I'm not sure why the difference.

9. Borric

Borric Member

I got this tonight.. played with it, went ahead an braved it, and flashed the firmware.. this player is awesome.

it does have it downsides tho, the remote sucks ass.. switchin to another file on a disc, either locks up the player.. or is dog slow.. i have to go back into the root menu to choose a file

also, when i pause a divx file longer than 5 secs, an press play.. it like freezes.. can you not pause a movie file longer than a couple secs? I hope i didnt fry the player with the upgrade.. lol.. but, wouldnt it not be working at all if i did that?

10. xer00

xer00 Guest

I have the 642/37 ver0531, it seems to have macrovision

I read that 642s don't
    is this only w/ the 642/17s?

Thankx

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  11. ranmaman

ranmaman Member

well 1/2 of my back up dvd's work and the others don't backed up dvd's even divx discs - like i've downloaded some naruto eps - burn it to a disc - the bloody thing just spits it out., i'm using ritek dvd discs and being that it plays divs i just make a data disc with nero to burn it - i have 151 eps of inuyasha burned off and they all play but naruto and elfen lied seris won't play worth anything - i have a back up of king arthur the thing just spits it out but some other back ups work alright - not sure what the problem with it why it would spit the stuff out.

i even tried the firm ware hack and the region free code - nothing works - anyone else have a problem with it spitting it out? cause it's extremly F_ING annoying.

thanks for any help

12. stevobevo

stevobevo Member

Hi:

Looking at getting dvp642 player. Can someone tell me what happens if I put a DVD in this player with 6 .avi movies on it. Will the player let you decide what movie to play or do I need to have only one movie per DVD? Will this player play the .avi movie if it is on a CD?

Thanks.

Steve

13. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Borric, I experienced the same huge delays as you did when I switched from watching one video to another. I searched all over the internet for a solution but couldn't find the problem even mentioned anywhere. Quite disappointing. I found the solution by accident.

I was switching between files by pressing the Disc Menu button. (Seemed logical to me!) This causes the player to re-read the entire file system. I don't mind a one-time delay for it to do that on startup, but I sure don't want to wait between switching files! Solution: Simply press "Stop" instead. It will take you back to the file menu without any delays!

14. roylayer

roylayer Guest

stevobevo, you should be able to do what you want with this player. There are a some AVIs with unusual codecs that won't play, but you will be able to choose which file you want to play on either CD or DVD.

15. posuser

posuser Member

or you could just dub every file you get to divx format, which takes 25 minutes in virtual dub...then you'll never run into issues with compatibility...thats what i do, and im like 50 for 50 with divx...because i reformatted the video into divx format.

16. Borric

Borric Member

so far, its read all the discs i gave it. i've tried

at&t cdr
    memorex cdr
    RIData DVD+R
    TDK DVD-R

no problems yet. Im watchin star wars.. thru composite cables, still looks damn good ;P About my anime.. its not in a sub/srt file.. its like encoded into the file.. but yes, it cuts them off.. oh well.. maybe in the next update they can fix overscan.. all in all, im a happy camper with the player

17. pcss

pcss Guest

All I can tell you is my experience so far. I put I think about 16 .AVi's on a DVD and it only played the last 4. The book that came with the player says it supports .AVI's(DIVX) on CD's. Anyway, the player went through this long winded indexing deal and at some point would stop and I could select the Disk Menu on the remote. The menu showed all 16 files but no matter which on I picked it always started 4th to the last one. I must mention that all of these files are about the same size and 4 files always max out a CD. And yes this player will play your .AVI's burned as data to a CD.

18. posuser

posuser Member

The reason for it not reading your divx files was because they were downloaded by an unknown source and the video codec is an inconsistent form of divx. Use Gspot to find out how the codec was installed, and how the codec was actually implemented. Use virtual dub to convert the video codec the way you want it, i convert every divx file i aquire to divx 5.0 and i put 7 or 8 on a dvd, and they all play with no problems...

19. pcss

pcss Guest

GSpot actually says that the source codec is XVID. Please excuse my lack of knowledge concerning these matters as I have just gotten into this video stuff. Is XVID causing the problem in my instance? All I do know is that all of these particular AVI files are part of a television series and were encoded by the same group. I would love to figure out how to get about 10 or more to work on one DVD.

20. posuser

posuser Member

I cant speak for anyone else...but I dont like xvid codecs...they are unstable, and the player is supposed to play DIVX, and xvid, but it was made to play divx files...xvid was a secondary format.

I take all my xvid files, and use virtual dub. I set the audio to direct stream copy, and I use video compression and change the video to divx 5.0. The process takes about 20 minutes for a 700 meg file..and you cant go wrong.

I'll find the actual walk through procedure for you to change video compression codec to divx.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004