1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. vibe69

vibe69 Member

how do i see if i have macrovision turned on?? plz help i want to update to 1109 but im afraid :(

2. detroit0

detroit0 Member

well... if you tried to play a macrovision protected dvd and record it in a vcr, you will get a distorted copy if macrovision is turned on.

3. vibe69

vibe69 Member

well i updated to vers 1009 everythig seems to be working just fine.

4. ssddss

ssddss Guest

Hello all,

I created a DVD with 2 avi files (movie was split into two) both use xvid AC3. When I play the DISC in the phillips DVP642/37 it skips 1st one and start playing second one..

I had same solution with another DVD also it skips first and plays second. Using same compression when I create some other DVD it works fine....I'm confused how come some are working some don't...any suggestion ??

5. acande1

acande1 Member

Hi all....just a thank you first of all for the massive amount of good info and user support for this great cheap DVD player...now onto my question

I have 1 specific movie which plays just fine on 2 relatively new (~4months old) DVD players (Sony, APEX),however, this movie will not play on mine or my friend's DVP642/37 (v1109 firmware).

What I mean by "not play" is that when watching it on the 642 the video freezes and the audio drops out at the same time every 3 seconds (it is pretty consistent). I thought it was maybe a bum DVD by some chance but tried 3 different times, to no avail.

Incidentally, its video encoding is MPEG2 and audio is AC3. It is more or less a standard DVD backup.

Any thoughts?

6. ddpdaver

ddpdaver Member

One of my divx movies is freezing at the exact same spot everytime. This disc is spotless without scratches. Could it just be a bad burn? or is there firmware I have to upgrade my new philips dvp642/37 bought yesterday? also, I cannot fast fwd or rwd divx movies?

7. ddpdaver

ddpdaver Member

Forgot to mention it plays flawlessly on my computer.

8. detroit0

detroit0 Member

acande1 -
    i think ac3 may be the problem - i recall there be issues with this... have you tried other disks using the same encoding?

ddpdaver -
    there likely is something crashing the codec on playback. i do recommend the fw update.

ssddss -
    sounds like a coincidence the first file skips and second plays... probably something about these files is causing the error. you could try putting them into seperate directories to see if it helps... also make sure to follow simple naming convention. there can also be an upper limit of files in a single directory.

9. Crais

Crais Member

Does anyone here use Procoder 2.0 to transcode to Divx? I've found that fast forward and reverse with Procoder files do not work with the DVP642. With all other programs such as transcodes with VirtualDub, vidomi, etc., ff/rw works just fine. Am I missing something? Is there a workaround? Thank you.

10. posuser

posuser Member

I hate procoder...that may be why, not sure though. All i know is that every time i use procoder it screws up my bitrate and turns a dvd quality video into a vcd. Its garbage, i use tmpgenc. but anyway, no procoder isnt the issue because other people have had problems when using other encoding programs, but for some reason..im not having that issue.

11. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Okay, so I just got this player (/37) a couple weeks ago. I'm loving it so far with the exception of the overscan on my tv cutting off the subtitles to my anime...but I know the various ways of getting by this. In fact, for some who hadn't tried this yet, some TVs allow you to adjust the overscan by use of a "service mode menu." For info on this and to see if your TV has one of these service modes, check these links:

http://www.epanorama.net/links/servicemanuals.html#servicemode
    http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html

But that's not really what I wanted to post about.

What I wanted to ask you all about was the firmware. I haven't checked yet to see what version I have, but I saw that you can rollback and such if need be. Does anyone archive such things just in case? If not, I'd be happy to archive some of the older ones if anyone has them still and post a link here.

Also, what exactly do these upgrades do? What do they upgrade? Any chance that maybe one day, one of these upgrades could fix it to display long file names? What about a "zoom out" feature so that the overscan wouldn't be such a problem? I dunno, I'm just trying to figure out exactly what is upgraded.

Also, where exactly do I find these upgrades? I saw this link:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_37/

which has the latest one and documentation, but how is one supposed to find this without knowing about it? I guess i can stop now, but I'm sure I'll have more later...

12. detroit0

detroit0 Member

lots of talk about the older firmware.
    there is this site hosting older versions:

http://home.ica.net/~robert/Philips

Personally, I'm very happy with 1109 so
    i'm posting this link since so many seem to want
    to compare to the 0531

*** one note about the Macrovision --
    my understanding with fw 1109 is that
    Macrovision is enabled if you try
    recording to a dvd recorder, but not
    for vcr.

ALSO -- If you want vobsub support, please join my 'letter writing' campaign to philips...

http://www.feedback.philips.com/con...RS_RECORDERS_CA&param3=DVD_PLAYERS_SU&param4=

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  13. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

oh, cool. okay, I've been wondering about this macrovision...this is some sort of copyright protection thing, correct? I haven't done a whole lot of research on this yet, but that's what I gather...so you're saying that with 1109, MV is enabled, but only if trying to copy to a DVD-R? However, if we were to try to record to VHS, it's not a big deal. And if we don't copy anything at all, then it's really not a big deal. Okay...I can deal with that. I understand now.

Is there a site or document that lists the changes from each version of FW? As in, what exactly was changed/added?

14. detroit0

detroit0 Member

15. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

Awesome :) Thanks a lot for that. I'll have to go through it a little later, but there is tons of good info in there. At the top is a link for a small section of it translted to English. However, I used an extention for FireFox to translate the entire page.

Here's a link to the translated plage:
    http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?u=http://www.ryan.com.br/prod_dvp642.htm

It seems that it didn't translate the entire page. I tried a few different methods, and all stopped at the same point. Not sure, why, but I guess the free tanslaters will only do so much of any given page...maybe?

Anyway, I just went through and copied and pasted what I wanted to read into another tanslation page (http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en). And made sure I selected the right translation method.

hope this helps everyone else out there :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  16. xer00

xer00 Guest

detroit0 is right

i tired coping to vhs
    it worked just fine

wont let me on dvdr

17. amish

amish Member

Hi there please can someone help me?!

I have the dvp642 and have burnt 2 divx files onto cdr. they have not worked. I used gspot and they seem fine according to the spec needed on divx.com.

also can I burn divx movies onto dvdrw and still play on the player? The instructions only mention divx on cdr/cdrw.

I have tried a few xvid file to no success. How should I be copy them to cd/dvd?

18. Sands

Sands Member

I just go this player yesterday after reading on it online here and videohelp.com. I'm satisfied. I haven't gotten much sleep the past week, so I didn't get to test it that much. But I'm really really reallyyyyyy excited to get started on watching today.

I, too, was hesitant to do that 1109 upgrade. Since it might messed up the player or I could do the process incorrectly. But fortunately, while I was burning the upgrade, I checked my current version and would you know it, I already have the 1109. Phew!!

From the divx movies I've tested, I've ran into a couple of problems. My ANTITRUST movie, works fine, video-wise, but the audio is messed up. It halts every 1 or 2 seconds. I FF'ed and it was still the same. Actually the audio seemed to be wayyyyy behind after FF. So I have no clue how to fix that. Also I had a couple of CD-Rs with short clips/movies and not all of them play. I didn't bother to check the files. Let's just say they were MILFHunter movies. Hehehe.:D

Also, those asking about the FF and REWIND for divx:
    I was having problems with this too, BUT then I figured it out... DO NOT PRESS THE ACTUAL FF(>>) AND REWIND(<<) BUTTONS, RATHER THE LEFT(<) AND RIGHT (>) BUTTONS BESIDE THE "OK" BUTTON.

19. Mattroid

Mattroid Member

amish:

I've been playing DivX files off of DVD+Rs, so I don't see why RWs wouldn't work, as well, despite what the manual says.

As for XviD, the few I've tried have worked fine, so I don't know what to tell you. I do all my encoding with TMEGEnc, though, and those XviDs weren't encoded by me...

20. noralain

noralain Guest

Hi,

I just bought new Philips DVP642 with lastest version
    VER1109 642/37 01 S 1
    I have some divx movies burned in CD-R with extension .avi
    It works good in my computer but it doesnt work in the DVD player?

this is the codecs details of the AVI movie that i burned it in CD-R:

Audio Codec: AC3Filter
    Video Codec: FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
    Aspect ratio: 19:8

my Philips DVP642 with latest version couldn't play this file? whats wrong? did i miss something?

Please help