1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Borric

Borric Member

Should I try the older firmware? i dunno.. it seems the divx/xvid movies are really pixelated. I heard you can go back to the old firmware( i didnt even test it, i updated it right out of the box)

if so, where can i find the older firmware?

Does it matter, im using composite cables? I really do think thats for dvd quality.. but i dunno

2. detroit0

detroit0 Member

for these people with playback problems, it could be due to the codecs you're using for the encodes. your best bet is probably going to be to use to official divx codecs from divx.com. the xvid 1.0+ codecs also work stunningly well in my experience. you can do the whole (re)encoding process with autogk and the results are pretty much guaranteed. then use decent dvd or cd media along with nero and you'll be fine. i think there was something about the player doesn't like multi-session disks as much so try not to do that. just create a simple one session data disk in nero and burn those puppies and you'll be fine. also -- the firmware update *HELPS* file compatibility.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. localnewb

localnewb Member

Hello, I'm new and I have a problem with the DVP642 player.

It works fine and all, but when I played an AVI file, it started off with "Reading Index" then it stopped, then again, it came up as "Reading Index" and then stopped. I cannot play that file, which I'm easily able to play on the computer.

Specs of the file:
    File : 700 MB (700 MB), duration: 0:54:52, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 65 %
    Video : 649 MB, 1656 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 736*400 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported
    Audio : 50 MB, 129 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, Supported

Mind you, another file with XVID Mpeg-4 worked fine (it had AC3 audio, but that worked fine, as well).

Any help would be appreciated.

4. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Yeah... it has some trouble with Xvid. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. that sucks, but you know...

5. Borric

Borric Member

I use AVICodec on most of my files, to get some info..

and most of them say 40ish% quality.. is that why most of my movies are washedout/pixalted?

6. tdu

tdu Member

Have you guys used the "system menu" trick mentioned earlier in the thread? WHen I first got the player I would say about 60% of the files I tried to play worked fine. Using the system menu trick, about 95% of them play. I originally thought it was just Xvid problems that were giving me problems, but I rarely have a problem with them anymore.

I do get some slightly washed out files, but I assume it's from bad encoding.

7. sfernan

sfernan Member

Regarding OpenDML, I have noticed a few of my xvid files show up under "stream" box in GSPOT as OPENDML(AVI v2.0). The Video Codec shows up as Xvid. I am planning to burn these on CD's (~ 700 MB). Will I have to demux and re-mux. I have read that > 2G files need to be mux and remux before burning to DVD. I was wondering if i need to do the same for a CD.

8. outlawz_

outlawz_ Guest

Hello, i have one problem with my palyer, it cannot read DVD-R multisession disks past changes made after the second session. It seems it reads exactly what was on the disk in the first and second session but nothing after. I've changed and added more files (changed 2 subtitles, added 2 moviefiles (divx) with two subtitles each) and it does not read any of the changes, the only files shown are the 2 movie files and subtitles ( the old version of subtitle even though i have updated the file since ) from the first and second session. Both the dvdroms on my computer can read the disk properly. My player is retail/no firmware upgrades(i am hesitant about upgrading because of the negative posts ive read about it). Any one know what the problem might be?
    Thnks for any replys.

9. Kangasama

Kangasama Member

Hello Everyone,

After reading through the information in this thread and other forums I have a few unanswered questions that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I have a Philips DVP642/37 Player it came with the 5301 firmware. I inserted dvd-r data discs with divx movies and corresponding subs burnt in folders ( named exactly as the movie is ) which were .srt files
    eg.

Phoenix 01/
    Phoenix 01.avi Phoenix 01.srt

An Icon with a question mark appeared next to the .srt files and when I attempted to select them and then press subtilte as per the instructions in the manual I got a small hand indicating that this action was not possible. SO I updated the firmware to the 1109 Firmware.

Same result. I have only one movie file and .srt that worked. (When the firmware was 5301 and as 1109 ) So I know it is possible for the player to play .srt's. I have no idea why it will not play these .srt files. It plays all the movies but will not recognize the subs as divx subtitle icons. All these disc's work perfectly in my Mac powerbook running OSX and in a Toshiba satellite running Win XP.

I have tried burning a cd-r as an ISO 9660/ I've tried renaming the .srt to .sub / I've tried shortening the names/ removing spaces special characters. Nothing I have tried has gotten the player to recognize the .srt as divx subs. I get the "?" Icon instead of the "..." Icon that is suppose to show up. Has anyone else run into this problem ? Are there any solutions currently available for this? Is their a specific "way" .srt's have to be made for them to work?

I bought this player primarily to be used for its ability to play .srt and it seems this is the only thing it WON'T do. Thank you in advance for any assitance/advice you can offer.

10. detroit0

detroit0 Member

outlawz_ :
    don't use multisession

Kangasama :

sounds like you're doing everything right pretty much. i recommend using 'msdos' style filenames... 8 characters, no spaces, no special characters. Don't put too many files on one disk. name the .srt file exactly the same as the .avi file except for the extension.
    Then start the player, insert the disk and enter into the menu. Select the .srt file and press subtitle button. then play the movie and press subtitle button.

11. hg_

hg_ Member

detroit0 said:

"Kangasama :

sounds like you're doing everything right pretty much. i recommend using 'msdos' style filenames... 8 characters, no spaces, no special characters. Don't put too many files on one disk. name the .srt file exactly the same as the .AVI file except for the extension.
    Then start the player, insert the disk and enter into the menu. Select the .srt file and press subtitle button. then play the movie and press subtitle button."

so i replied...

the other thing not mentioned is to make sure your .srt file is plain text. easiest way to do that is to paste it into notepad and then save it form there.

way back on page 5 of this thread, in august estebbins said:

"ASCII refers to a regular text file. If you have any question about whether a file is ASCII, you might try copying the text into Windows notepad and then save it using the ANSI encoding option. This will leave you with a plain text file with no formatting, in a very basic character set. Either save it with the file extension (exampe .srt) or change the file extension from .txt after you save it.

If you find the file is too big for Notepad, just use wordpad.exe only make sure you are using the "Text Document" when you save."

windows xp or 2000 should have no problem opening large text files in notepad.

is there someone who can tell mac users? anyone using linux should have no problem, osx users too. ;)

-hg_

12. Pal9

Pal9 Member

Is the User Manual for the DVP642/37 wrong when it says (on page 17 under the NTSC setting):

"It will change the video signal of a PAL disc (VCD only) and output it in NTSC format."

I'm concerned about the "VCD only" -- I've read on this forum that it converts PAL to NTSC for DVD's too, so why does the manual say VCD only? (Before I order the boxed set of PAL cds I'd like some reassurance that they'll actually play on my NTSC tv, despite the User Manual.)

Thanks

13. roylayer

roylayer Guest

PAL DVDs play fine on my NTSC TV.

14. acande1

acande1 Member

Roylayer:

Would like to ask you a few questions as I have been unable to get PALs to play on my RCA. Incidentally, its a nothing special 36in RCA....no component video inputs, just S-VIDEO. I've tried a couple PAL DVDs with the DVP on it and a newer model SONY to no avail.

1) What model TV do you have?
    2) Can you post the audio/video encoding specs from GSPOT (or something similar)of a PAL DVD that works with your DVP642? I'd like to see what is wrong with mine....
    3) What options do you have for audio/video in your DVP642

15. drew2k

drew2k Member

Kangasama:

Check your User manual for a loose page (addendum) on how to use subtitles with DIVX. It was at the end of my manual, but in case you don't have the addendum, the steps are:

1. Highlihght the external subtitle filename
    2. Press [bold]SUBTITLE[/bold] on the remote - should see [bold]DIVX SUBTITLE SELECTED[/bold] on screen.
    3. Highlight the movie and press [bold]OK[/bold] to play it using the previously selected subtitle.
    4. During playback, press [bold]SUBTITLE[/bold] on the remote to select the avaiable font: subtitle 1/1, encoding latin 1, encoding latin 2, encoding latin cyrillic, subtitle off.

This is my first post here - lots of good info all around, so I hope I helped!

Drew

(Edit: Didn't see someone answered this already. Oh well!)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  16. tdu

tdu Member

Well, I completely fried my player last night. I was installing the new firmware and the room had a power outage (long story as to why). Anyway, now the thing has the update CD stuck in it and won't boot up or anything. I am assuming it's toast unless anyone has any other suggestions...

When they say don't interupt the firmware installer in any way...they mean it. Just for other users info.

17. detroit0

detroit0 Member

tdu -
    too bad. i know there is a way to save your device. i would try to identify the flash chip used. in some cases there are alternate ways to program it, either by removing it and using a programmer connected to a pc, or by booting with an alternate flash card and then swapping in the bad one for the update. it's probably not going to be easy though, so you're probably better off taking it back to walmart.

-- another comment regarding subtitles:
    not sure if it matters, but unix text files are
    in a different format than dos, this may cause
    a problem if the srt's are unix formatted.

18. GrimmTY

GrimmTY Member

Macrovision IS active after the latest update. It doesnt matter if you make it region free, I tried and its still active.

With Macrovison is DOES NOT matter if you intend to actually tape the content or not, its on when you use the VCR as a passthru to the TV. So ANY VCR passthru with the new update will NOT work with Macrovesion Protected DVDs--The DVD will work but you will get light and dark video, fuzzy lines or any number of Macrovision protection schemes.

For those saying that they updated and dont see any Macrovison protection you should perhaps check with a Macrovison protected DVD as you are most likely trying with one that isnt protected with Macrovison or one that has had the Macrovison protection removed ;).

The DVP has ALWAYS had protection for output to a digital recording source this update doesnt change that. I am not sure about the protection but I think its diffrent the regular Macrovision protection.
    --------
    Newest Update:

The newest update DOES allow GMC but only DivX with 1 waypoint (which is pretty useless) NOT XviD.
    It also fixes the problem with XviD encodes, those wierd colors or "acid effect" which we had user supplied manual fix for already.
    It also fixes many audio out-of-synch problems with DivX and XviD.

It doesnt seem to have fixed subs at all nor have they added supprt for longer file names :(

It WILL NEVER have Qpel support as the chip isnt made for it and doesnt have the processing power.

My suggestion is to update to the newest firmware as long as you arent passing the signal thru a VCR because if you arent Macrovision isnt a concern.
    -----

Now back to lurking...

TY

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  19. HDS

HDS Member

hey i got this player and it doesnt have fast forward or rewind on it. wtf??? let me know how i can do it!!!

the remote only has next chapter or previous. no ff or rew buttons......

tnx

20. vibe69

vibe69 Member

right beside the OK button.

i got the newest 0119 firmware and iam passing my signal through my vcr to get it to the tv since that doesnt have the red,yellow and white jacks on it. and it still isnt affecting mine output :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005