1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. akwingnut

akwingnut Guest

Hi there I purchased the DVP642 and have flashed the newest firmware but still i am having problems with this unit. When i burn a dvd+r media movie whatever it plays fine but it gets glitches and the closest i can say about these are that they are pixaled really bad???? hopefully that makes sense to someone that can help me??? plus it doesnt play all divx or xvid media.... heard of that called "QP Locked" Quarter Pixal Locked? If anyone can help me please do so thanks

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I had ther same problem with some Qpel xvid downloads. I used the program just mentioned and reprocessed them-viola, regular xvid that works fine on this player. As mentioned elsewhere here this unit can't digest Qpel or GMC encoded xvid.

3. bryan_168

bryan_168 Member

yeah i can confirm that DivX on DVD-R wil play on a 630, kinda... just a few problems... sometimes the lip sink is out and i havnt been able to watch a film right through yet, usually at some stage the picturre wi jst freeze n stop n ill have to reset the player...

i dont know if this is the player r the DVDs i used to burn the fils onto them, also i never put firmware update on the system, but i cant for some reason i can copy the three files onto a CD.. this might just b because ive installed a new DVD burner n its been acting up n all.. but the files i copy to the DVD-Rs r fine on my comp but on the VD player thay stop for no reason and the lip sink is out alot of thime on alot of the films..

ne suggestions?

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Just two-1st try reflashing your firmware to the latest version. Burn the downloaded files onto a cd as per the instructions. 2nd-try the program I've mentioned 2 times, it'll correct improper encodes so this player can handle them.

5. pvssr

pvssr Guest

zrdb:

it looks like the Mpeg4 Direct Maker has no option for AC3 sound? have u got it to work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  6. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

If you do a dropdown on the select destination file encoding menu you'll see that it does support mpeg 3 and a few other formats.

7. pvssr

pvssr Guest

zrdb:

yeah i saw that...
    but it has no option for 5.1 sound which is mostly coded using AC3 in my files...

8. rocman

rocman Member

I bought the DVP642 from Wal-Mart last August, and so far I've found it to be a pretty good player but definitely not polished at all.

For example, there's the vertical scanline "jail cell" effect when playing divx movies. I found the problem to happen primarily with S-Video output, although composite sometimes has the same issue.

Another issue is that on some movies, the picture has an overall greenish taint to it. This is true especially in dark area. This is getting to be very annoying - does anyone here know a cause/fix for this problem?

As far as DVD-R, I've burnt 5 discs worth of Divx files, all play fine except for one. That one has a data folder, I don't know if that's causing the issue or not. The other 4 discs are just divx files in the root directory.

9. Crais

Crais Member

I thought that was just ME! Glad to know I'm not alone. This can be mimimized by setting video properties to standard rather than bright output.

10. rocman

rocman Member

Yep I always keep it on "standard", anything else really just produce trashy output.

But now the greenish tint is really bothering me. Is it just me?

11. B00cifer

B00cifer Member

Wondering if anybody can help me out.

I just burned 20 episodes of Family Guy to Dvd-R, and when i play, the menu comes up like normal, I play a file, then it plays for a few seconds, and starts skipping through all files, playing about 5 seonds of each. (all avi, files burned with Nero to data Dvd)

Thanks in advance

12. thender

thender Guest

anyone know if ritek 8x DVD-Rs (purple data side) are compatible with this player?

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I know what you mean about the bar effect and it druives me crazy. What I have to do (and I admit it'a a pain in the ass) is go into picture menu and select normal picture from the profile and exit, then zoomin and then out, the "bar" effect goes away. Problem is, if you skip to another selection most often you have to go through the whole thing again. I've noticed on some divx and xvid material there are no "bars".

14. pvssr

pvssr Guest

somebody plz post a guide for converting xvid to divx using virtual dub in shortest possible time.

15. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Why would you want to do that? This player will play many forms of xvid as well. For a problem xvid that doesn't have square pixels, MPEG4 Modifier (http://moitah.net/) can convert it to square pixels quickly (i.e. no re-encoding) and easily.

If you are having some other trouble, I don't know what to tell you.

16. vibe69

vibe69 Member

what about the QPEL error? any fast and easy way to fix that?

17. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Sorry, I don't know about qpel.

18. pvssr

pvssr Guest

roylayer:
    i meant xvid's with GMC and/or QPEL
    also OpenDML avi are not opened in Mpeg4 Modifier

19. roylayer

roylayer Guest

OK. I thought you just wanted to convert all xvid to divx for some reason. (Some people don't realize that some xvids will play on the dvp642.) I know that certain variations don't work. Sorry that I can't help you more!

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Did you guys even read my earlier post about the program I found? It'll take care of Qpel, GMC and any other problems.

it'll take