1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. akwingnut

akwingnut Guest

zrdb,
    This program that you are talking, the VCD version does it convert the divx/xvid back to vcd format? I heard that WinAVIconverter was another program that works well with converting to dvd format or any other format what is your take on that?

-AkWingnut

2. vibe69

vibe69 Member

so whats this new xvid 1.1 thing im hearing about encoding, and that the dvp-642 handles them poorly, ive tried a movie and it was all blocky and stuff. now i tried this movie napoleon dynamite and it was out of sync, it was a xvid but whats wrong with it i dont know i tried the system trick but it didnt seem to help.

3. pvssr

pvssr Guest

zrdb:
    this software does not support AC3 sound. also i did not find any option to keep the audio stream as it is. virtual dub can do all of this and is free.

4. akwingnut

akwingnut Guest

pvssr,
    i have worked with virtual dub also but not very much to have enough experince with it i guess, also does it fix the QP lock problem? how much of it have you used before?

Edit#1
    pvssr,
    thanks for the input, can you also convert to SVCD Format? I really have never tried to do divx because until i got the Philips DVP642 i had an APEX that read svcds soooo. i guess you can say that i am really new to the divx/xvid scene thanks for you help.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  5. pvssr

pvssr Guest

akwingnut:

yes. it can fix qpel/gmc problems.
    simple procedure is..
    1) open an avi file
    2) select video->fast recompress
    3) select viedo->compression (select divx/xvid here)
    4) select audio->direct stream copy
    5) select file->save .avi

as for step 3 u can select various compression parameters here. i'm not sure which give best result and are the fastest.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  6. vibe69

vibe69 Member

i hope that is to remove qpel, cause im doing it, under mpeg 4 codec V1. please tell me if there is a better and faster way of doing this...

7. Crais

Crais Member

As a matter of fact, after you posted this, I've been checking many of my latest "Andromeda" transcodes in the player, and I think you are right...everything does seem to have a slight greenish tinge...especially yellows, browns, and fleshtones. It seems to be especially prevelant when a color is not especially intense, such as a deep red or blue.

BTW: I've noticed that the "jailhouse" vertical line artifact is most noticeable with transcodes I have made with VirtualDub, and is non-existant with a freeware utility called "AutoGK".

Further, if there are those of you who are stumped by the process of making a DVD642 "happy" divx or Xvid, this may be just the program you are looking for. It is a suite of software that takes AVIsynth,VobSub, Besweet, and VdobMod and ties it all together into one GUI, and automates the process of demuxing, audio encoding, inverse telecine, grain removal, and two pass encoding of mpeg2s to either Divx or Xvid. It is very fast; I average a bit over 30 fps at 512x384 1000kbs 2 pass Divx 5.21. I can't believe the fluidity of camera pans when a video source is properly treated as film...the results are absolutely stunning! I could never achieve these results on my own with VirtualDub. I make a high bitrate mpeg2 DVD profile capture with my BeyondTV-Hauppauge PVR-250 combo, and transcode with AutoGK....it's just fantastic. I use Divx over Xvid, because of the inverted color issue in the DVP642, and the DVP642 seems quite happy playing them without issue.

http://www.autogk.net/

8. detroit0

detroit0 Member

yes, autogk is a-w-e-s-o-m-e.
    but the philips player has lost me as a fan.
    i still like it because it plays mp3 files from
    a dvd. and the dvd playback is ok.
    but for divx... i am better served by
    xbmc.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  9. Crais

Crais Member

I know what you mean....the thrill is gone. It would be nice if Philips would be forthcoming with some bugfixes in the way of firmware upgrades. Still, I love the ability to be able to drop an mpeg2 DVD onto disc without the hassle of authoring it first. The only problem with this, is that when fast forwarding through them, the player often burps and kicks me out to the root menu.

Oh yeah...the ability to play PAL is great too...I picked up the entire Twin Peaks DVD set for $65.00 on eBay (PAL).

I guess it's easy to overlook the good stuff when you have a nagging problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  10. squebz

squebz Member

this is really doing my head in!
    without getting technical, i am having extreme trouble playing any of my xvid avi files on the philips dvp630/05.
    is there anythink i can do apart from converting the files to divx or mpeg, as the reason i bought the player was primarily so i didn't have to convert anything.
    i have installed the latest firmware from philips, to no avail.
    the following is an examle of what i can not play:

audio
    audio format mpeg layer 3
    average data 16.170 kb/s
    sample rate 48.00 khz
    channels 2

video
    frame width 576 pixels
    frame height 240 pixels
    frame rate 25.00 frames/second
    data rate 112.47 kb/s
    video sample 12 bit
    video compression xvid.

11. steam371

steam371 Member

Does this thing play dvd r-? Phillips tech support does'nt know their ass from a hole in the wall!

12. pvssr

pvssr Guest

what is MPEG4 B-VOP and N-VOP?
    are they supported in this player? (DVP642)

also "Pixel Aspect Ratio" must be 1.0? or is it "Display Aspect Ratio"?

13. rocman

rocman Member

Yes the philips player can play DVD-Rs (I got Memorex made in Taiwan 4x from bestbuy, and they all play without any issue).

The main problem now is the lack of support on codec updates!

The player is cool when it works, but the more I use it, the more I want to go back to a computer (better image quality, unlimited codec support, higher cost of maintanence, long boot time).

14. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Hey guys... I've been coming to this forum for a little bit. I've helped around a little, though not as much as others. I pointed out the "menu trick" for instance, lol... point is, maybe what I'm about to ask isn't COMPLETE cheap self-promotion.

Anyway, I've made a post about the DVP642 on my new gadget's weblog. It would be nice if you guys gave it a look and told me what you think (the post and the site in general... ) :) Anyway, the permalink is http://www.ohgizmo.com/?p=23.

If you don't wanna bother that's fine. Those who do, thanks.

15. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I have used MPEG4 Direct Maker and granted it doesn't support AC3 but I don't find that to be a problem, my copy cost me nothing. It does a good job converting, say Qpel or GMC encoded xvid to regular xvid that this player can handle. I tried AutoGK and I couldn't get it to work.

16. Sands

Sands Member

OMG!!!! Does this shit not play videos with AC3 audio codec?!?!?!?! OMG!!! I just got SOME movies that has the AC3 and they won't friggin play!!! I'm so pissed. AHHHHH! This is the actual AC3 audio codec: ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc

I can't believe they wouldn't include AC3. So what can I do now? How can I play this with the player? AHHHH! So just for the record, WHAT ELSE DOES THIS THING DOESN'T PLAY? WMV, AC3?

17. rickrich

rickrich Member

Hi.

I bought a new Sony DSC-M1 for XMAS. It creates 640 x 320 x 30fps movies in the mpeg4 format.

Unfortuntally, the DVP642 can't handle the audio section.
    But mplayer can; so the DVP642 has to go back.

==========================================================================
    Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16000->192000 (128.0 kbit)
    Selected audio codec: [faad] afm:faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG2/MPEG4 Audio) decoder)
    ==========================================================================
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

-Rick

18. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Maybe it's time for Philips to design a new model or to look around for a new model from another manufactor.

19. detroit0

detroit0 Member

Yes. I can only recommend this player if you control all your own encoding and you don't use subtitles. Does anyone fit that category? Well, if you do you'll love this player. If not, well... you might like that it has a zoom mode on dvd playback for 4:3 and it plays dvd-r disks with mp3s...

otherwise set up a htpc or xbmc or ... (?)

20. squebz

squebz Member

what a busy few days.....and what a waste of time.i used dr divx and virtualdub to encode my xvid files into divx, put them onto cd-r with b's recorder.....and put them into this darn dvp630/05.......and its exactly the same, the screen says loading, a few revolutions of the disc and the player opens, ejecting disc, no message.
    i tried tmpgenc and converting it to xvidmpeg4 and divx.....exactly the same.
    with most of my files being xvid, which dvd player has the highest compatibility with this codec?
    otherwise its back to mpeg encoding, but there's too much quality lost with this.
    thanx.