1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Try pressing the System Menu button twice.

2. pvssr

pvssr Guest

roylayer:
    NO. I am not talking abt xvid files where the picture is unviewable.
    Usually in action scenes (and using divx low motion 3) there are blocks of low resolution formed i.e. u can see the picture sort of blurring. Any solution for this.

3. psicologo

psicologo Member

Am I correct in that this standalone will not output files with a resolution higher than 720x480, even if that data rate is held at or below 3600kbps? The reason why I am interested is that I just purchased a small LCD widescreen HDTV and wish I could play back some of the high-res shows/sample clips I've acquired at their native resolution of 720p or 768p. The only "DivX HD-compatible" player I know of that can do this is quite a bit more $$ than this particular model, which is about $60 right now at Wal*Mart.

4. icewill36

icewill36 Member

div 3 low motion is crappy encoding anyway. its going to look blocky regardless, even on PC.

5. timekills

timekills Member

I'll have to check to reconfirm, but I don't think the player will play MPEG4 (i.e. Xvid/DivX) files with uncompressed (PCM and/or ASPCM) audio. I think it has to be MP3.

6. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

After reading a number of posts I think I have the solution to the problem of QPEL/GMC avi's not playing on the 642. My question is this: What is the best program to re encode the files so that they will play? And can you walk me through the steps to re-encode? I am a newbie, please be patient with me.

Blair :)

7. vibe69

vibe69 Member

well u said u had a solution, lets hear it, its not ur solution if someone guides u through rencoding it.. its alrdy been figured out way before u even knew what a divx file was....

8. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I tried the firmware for the 630 and it didn't make any difference at all that I could see.

9. pvssr

pvssr Guest

While playing a file the video plays fine but at times(for 1 sec or maybe less) the audio just goes silent. This becomes really irritating when this happens frequently. I think it has something to do with the data below.

This is what GSpot reports:
    Interleave: 23 vid frames (959 ms)
    Audio frames: Split across interleaves
    File Length Correct

The rest of parameters are fine. PAR=1.0, DivX-3 Fast Motion, MP3 48Hz 96kbps CBR audio. When it says audio "Split across interleaves" what does it mean. Could 642 have problem playing such audio.

Is there any way i can re-encode this file.

10. BlairF27

BlairF27 Guest

My solution is to re-encode the avi files. But I have no idea what program to use, nor how to walk through re-encoding.

11. careyciii

careyciii Member

blair
    I've seen more than one message in this thread about re-encoding. Take a little time and peruse and I'm sure you'll find the answers you need. Figure It'll take less time to read th 25pgs here than to re-encode.

12. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

If I re-encode HDTV captures to divx, what is the max resolution that the dvp642 will take?

I guess it could take at least PAL resolutions, I think 720x525??? But maybe it could take higher.

I tried 1280x720 and it didn't work, mostly because the player doesn't do HDTV, however there should be something inbetween.

13. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

A little update on my guide to re-encoding a couple of pages back:

- New xvid movies use the 1.0.3 codec, so you may run into some problems in VirtualDub if you try to re-encode and have an older version of the codec. My reccommendation (sp?) is to get urself the latest FFDSHOW before doing any re-encoding (I believe feb.16,2005 release is the latest at this time of writing).

- Generally, I've found that any movie file that has BVOP, NVOP, GMC, or QPEL will cause problems on the DVP642. As mentioned before, always make yourself a copy to test it first. Use programs like Easy Video Splitter to quickly make yourself a sample file to burn on cdrw.

- For VBR error issues, get yourself VirtualDubMod, it support variable bitrate, whereas VirtualDub does not. Just make sure you click on "no" when they ask about changing the audio header of the file. (VirtualDub will do it automatically).

14. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Arag0rn wrote:
    I agree about GMC and QPEL, but I have created divX5 files with both BVOP and NVOP that play fine on my DVP642. (Firmware is the one before December's release.) I used DVD Decrypter and Auto GK to create the files.

Thanks for helping to identify what this player can and cannot do. I will be running a number of tests of my own in the near future and will report the results here. Perhaps between all of us, we will be able to figure it out!

15. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

NVOP and BVOP have worked for me on a few occasions for DIVX, and even XVID... but generally , it will have problems....

My note above about VirtualDubMod, make sure you select YES (to keep the audio header), if you should have a VBR audio xvid file.

16. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

Alright guys, here is the end-all solution to your xvid video problems. Get yourself VirtualDubMod and the latest xvid codec, and re-encode with the following settings. They have worked on 100% of my xvid movies that had problems previously. Give your thanks to [bold] XvidPro [/bold] over at the Xvid.org forum...

* Encoded with XVID 1.0.3 codec
    * NO QP, AQ, Treillis, GMC
    * MAX consecutive B-VOPS set to 2.00
    Quantizer ratio used: 1.50
    Quantizer offset used: 1.00
    * NO PACKED bitstream
    * Closed GOV checked
    * Interlaced encoding off
    * aspect ration set to SQUARE
    * PROFILE LEVE @L5
    * used MPEG for 2 disc+ encoding and H.263 for single disc encodes
    * Chroma motion set
    * turbo set always
    * VHQ varied from 1 - 4
    * MOTION SEARCH PRECISION always set to 6
    * MIN/MAX IBP quantizers set to 2/31 respectively

He mentioned that you should check off legacy AVI 1.0 for compability to make dvp642 work, but I've found that leaving it at AVI DML 2.0 default will still work.

17. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Thanks, arag0rn, thats nice and concise. Too bad these posts aren't numbered so that when the inevitable same question arises three pages down the road someone can't direct them to your post. This particular item really ought to be a sticky, no?

[bold]D'OH![/bold] Looks like you're thinking the same way...thanks for posting the tips as a separate thread. Now if you can just figure out how to get the damn thing to resume play for an Xvid file ;-)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  18. vibe69

vibe69 Member

can soemone give a detailed description on how to get rid of qpel and stuff cause the above post i cant find half the stuff when i select XVID and then hit configure... please and thank you

19. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I think what they are trying to say is that if you do the reencode as per instructions the Qpel and GMC will go away, I've done it myself quite a few times. Just make sure when you set up the xvid codec you don't accidently enable Qpel or GMC on the options menu.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  20. vibe69

vibe69 Member

how long does it usually take???