1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. pvssr

pvssr Guest

Seek Function Not Working :(

when u press display button twice it shd enable u to seek to any arbitary pos. right? in my case the first display shows the time elapsed the next time i press it i just see a hand (kind of stop sign).

any solutions.......................................

2. vibe69

vibe69 Member

well i did the rencode on a tv episode which is like 40minutes long and it took me close to 1hour. and i have a p4 2.4C, 512ddr ram (dual chan), 120gig sata hdd. i dont think its worth doing this it takes forever..

3. animedrag

animedrag Member

please disregard this post. i couldn't delete it completely.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  4. sarb2001

sarb2001 Member

Hi everyone!

I have my DVP6423/37 for a week now. It came with the soft version 1109 preinstalled, so no need to upgrade.
    Now, what I could tell you about subtitles:

My player is reading subtitles, .srt, .sub and some .txt without problems, even if the subtitles are NOT in the same folder as the movie and even if the name of subtitle is NOT the same as the one of the movie. (I run a test, giving to a movie named Liga.avi, a subtitle of another movie, named high.srt, and worked just fine)

If the subtitle in not in the same folder, I highlight the subtilte, press "Subtitle" button on the remote and on the screen appears "DivX subtitle selected". Then I go to ROOT, select the folder with the movie, highlight the title of the movie and press PLAY on the remote (not OK). Subtitles will be on screen during the movie.

But if it not appears, press "Subtitle" button until you see on screen "subtitles 1/1". After that, will work just fine.

5. freblo

freblo Member

Hi Everyone

I've had may DVP642 for avout 2 months now and I love it. I've read some of the postings about this player and that it doesn't play some AVI files. Here's what I do and if this info has been posted before forgive me but hopefully it will help someone out.

After I download and AVI file I check it with the program AVIcodec (it's free - I think you can get it at this site) If it says the avi is coded with Divx 5 I leave it burn it to cd and its ready for the player. If not I use the software "Dr. Dixv" to reencode it using Dixv home theatre option (this is time consuming but it works) the re-encoded file I burn to cd and it is ready for the player . I haven't downloaded a avi file yet that I couldn't use in the player and I must have over 50 cds worth.
    Anyway again I hope this helps someone out - I know when I first got the DVP 642 I was a little discouraged because it wouldn't play everything I had.
    It took awhile to figure it out, but now I love this machine!!

6. bruinkat

bruinkat Member

This is strange. I just purchased the player a few days ago and my box says it plays DVD-R/RW although I have not tried it yet. The only problem I've had is trying to play one of my anime dvds. It says codec not supported. I have no idea what codec it is. I just burned it off of a torrent site. It's Ai Yori Aoshi.

Also I had a problem playing one of the Divx animes. I burned Nozumo Eien but it cuts off some of the sides and the subtitles. How can I get it to show the entire picture? Any way to update firmware and make these play?

So far I am satisfied that it's able to play other formats no problem and the DVDs pictures quality is great!

Ah! someone was complaining that the remote did not have an eject button. Sweet that someone figured out you can do that by holding down the stop button. thanks!

7. detroit0

detroit0 Member

codec is what plays the files... converts the file on the disk to audio/video that you see. the error you got means the file is not compatible with the player... soooooooory.

8. FreakBun

FreakBun Member

Hiya. This is quite the thread! I think we need a FAQ to answer common questions in a comprehensive manner, and save us from sifting throough pages and pages of posts.

That being said, my turn to add the clutter and possibly repeat previous posts.

1. The dvp642 does not like you to re-name long filenames with Nero before burning. The files do not appear on the menu.

2. I got rid of my grey lines by routing the dvp642 through my VCR using rca cables. I simply use the line-in or "F1" feature on my VCR to watch stuff using the dvp642.

9. timekills

timekills Member

Heh. That's the first time I've heard of using Macrovision to GET RID of annoying lines on your video.

(i.e. routing the video through your VCR before going to TV.)

10. GreatwoIf

GreatwoIf Member

I just got my DVP642 player today from amazon.com. I plan on using it mostly to play hardsubbed animes downloaded from the internet.

I'm finding that the player has trouble playing xvid files from http://yhbt.mine.nu/. GSpot shows that it was encoded with xvid but I can't figure out which version. I've sifted through many of the pages on the thread and it seems to suggest that QPEL and GMC causes problems for this. How do I tell if the video's using those features?

Thanks

11. castaban

castaban Member

The new beta version of Gspot will show you if it is encoded with Qpel and GMC

12. sarb2001

sarb2001 Member

I received a soccer match on a DVD-R from a friend of mine in Europe. The game was recorded from TV with a DVD recorder in PAL. It played just fine on my Philips, here in Canada, even I did not made it "region free". But I tried the same disc on a Yamaha DVS-550S (wich also plays DivX) and it has been some problems, like frozen images for few seconds.

Also, ref. to re-encoding: I have some video clips encoded audio with some codecs 0x0161(MSAUDIO2/DIVX, Microsoft Corporation). It doesn't play on my Philips. But I re-encoded using VirtualDub. At the begining I was a little confused because VD recognised the Microsoft Codec, but couldn't proceed to re-encoding. So I instaled a package from here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DivX_MPEG-4_Audio_Compressor.htm and Radium Code MP3 and everything was OK !

13. Vince787

Vince787 Member

I am using the latest beta version of GSpot 2.52.
    What will it show in GSpot if a video is encoded
    with GMC & OPEL?

I looked throught the thread on this subject but I could not find an answer to my question!

Thank You,

Vince

14. roylayer

roylayer Guest

In the codec box, you will see four little black boxes under the Stat box. The first box will display Q-pel if present, and the next one will display GMC if present. (Hover you mouse over those boxes for a tooltip that will tell you that.)

15. GreatwoIf

GreatwoIf Member

ok I downloaded the latest beta GSpot and I think you can tell by just looking at the QPEL and GMC icons on the upper right.

So I opened that video file from my link earlier and it doesn't show those two as being present. The symtoms of trying to play this video file on dvp642 is that the screen's black and there's the word play on the upper left in white. It just stays there like that indefinitely -- the remote won't respond, I would have to press the standby button and wait a few seconds for the thing to turn off. Would one of you guys mine downloading that video file I mentioned earlier and see if it'll run on your phillips dvp642?

I have a screenshot of what gspot finds in this video file here: http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/greatwolf/images/gspotscrn.jpg

Thanks

16. GreatwoIf

GreatwoIf Member

ok I found out the problem. In GSpot, I noticed Multipart OpenDML AVI on the first line when I scroll up in the Container area:

Multipart OpenDML AVI, "rec list" style
    (133 frames in first part, 33073 frames follow)...

Apparent the player doesn't understand that. I fixed it by opening this in VirtualDubMod and then just saving it again in Direct Stream copy mode.

17. Sands

Sands Member

I just got DVD burner, so I tried including the subtitles. I got a prob... I burnt five movies on a DVD including their substitles files: .idx and .sub. But they won't work. So what subtitle files work? Do I have to convert the idx and sub to something?

18. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

Sands,

In my experience, DVP642 does not support idx+sub subtitles. You've have to convert it to a srt or single sub file for it read.

Do a search for programs that do this type of conversion on google.

19. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Anybody know a way to convert matroska audio to mp3 that can be recombined with the video using VirtualDubMod to make avi?

20. sarb2001

sarb2001 Member

Sands,

The subtitle *.sub are working on this Philips. But the best is working *.srt. You can modify a subtitle file with Subtitle Workshop and save it as SubRip (*.srt). After that, the player will play subtitles even if they are in another folder.