1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bruinkat

bruinkat Member

I'm tired of burning my anime onto DVD-R or CD-r and seeing "codec not supported" on the Philips. What can I do about it? re encoding it would take too long for a 26 or more episode anime. Isn't there firmware on Philips that can be updated to make them play? Or how about converting the files to DVD? Is that any faster or slower? I normally download my anime series from bit torrent and burn them all at once. On DVD I can fit up to 20 epsidoes which is great! but codec not supported doesn't do it any good.

I would like to know what I can do so that i don't burn them and find it is a waste. I heard about the program I can download to find out if the files are not divx QPEL etc..

Also what do I do with the anime that does play but the picture is cut off on the sides and on the bottom?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. AkumaX

AkumaX Member

bookmarking this long thread; i also remember seeing someone w/ directions to adding borders to divx files, because it kept cutting off the subtitles from anime. how?

3. Ace-kun

Ace-kun Member

i would also like to know how to add borders all around an avi file before any of the encoding to mpeg-2 or vcd.

4. blued888

blued888 Member

My DVP642 already arrived! I have the following questions/clarifications:

The screen appears to be slightly cut off at the right-hand side. Is this normal? If not, how is this problem fixed? I'm using the 4:3 LB setting which supposedly puts black bars on the top and bottom of the screen in order to properly fit the video on the television screen. (Based on the manual)

Is pixelation (is this the same as bleeding?) on some XviD/DivX files a sickness of the player? (i.e. when an actor moves, semi-transparent blocks of his trail movements appear) Is this really only solved by double pressing on the system menu button?

The picture is also more grainy than our Pioneer DVD player.

How come some of the XviD/DivX files look better when outputted (to the tv) from my PC via video-out on my R9800? Isn't the image quality supposed to be on par or better with video-out from the PC?

How is the "go to time" function used for XviD/DivX?

In the Philips website " 4x video upsampling for improved image quality" is stated. Is this automatically enabled on the player?

Btw I use an S-Video cable. Thanks! Any help/responses would be greatly appreciated.

5. bruinkat

bruinkat Member

Blue- I also get the image being cut off but on the bottoms so the subtitles are gone no matter if i use PS or LB. I don't get black bars.

To my knowledge the pixelation is normal in the Xvid for the Philips player. What version firmware do you have?

Also I just updated my firmware to v 1109 and damnit I STILL get some AVIs that give me the "codec not supported" error, grrr.

Can someone help with the problem of cutting off subtitiles on the bottom and with converting the avis to dvd?

6. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

One thing when you output video out of your computer's video card to a tv is that the computer has way more processing power to make the xvid or divx video look better than the DVP642 has. Another thing is the computer has (usually) more codecs to deal with different types of downloads. I know from experiance that you can't convert every download to a format that the DVP642 can play.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  7. blued888

blued888 Member

Follow-up to my previous post.

Included is the illustration of what is not seen on the TV (highlighted in red), and I think that's a fairly substantial amount. Movie dimension is 800x336.
    [/quote]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  8. oaftab17

oaftab17 Member

I, like some others on this thread, have encountered a strong greenish tint on dark scenes with this player. Its obvious when using component out. A great way to catch this is to watch the spider scene in The Return of the King with component - and then with Svideo. Everything is strongly green shifted.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with our specific unit, or whether its a general problem with the model? Has anything helped?

I'd be grateful for your comments!

9. nabb

nabb Member

I have seen a one or two post regarding this player "Chirping", but cannot find conformation that all chirp or only some. Can anyone
    help out on this?

10. Magick29

Magick29 Member

Quick question. If a DVD has a scene with multiple angles, a little camera icon appears in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Problem is, we watch a LOT of DIsney DVDs, and since they are in several languages, all of the credits and scenes with text, like the dwarves beds in snow white, are on the disk several times and appear to be multiple angles to the player. SO, during the credits, etc, that damn camera icon is always on the screen. Anyway to turn off multiple angle support, or just disable the onscreen display?

THanks,
    Chris

11. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Hi, could use some help with mpg files I've taken from SVCDs which won't play properly by themselves on my DVP642. Here's what I've done so far:

1) downloaded two sets of bin/cue files representing two SVCDS
    2) used Nero to create the SVCDs (selecting image recorder instead of actually burning discs)
    3) used Daemon Tools to mount the SVCD images, then copied the AVSEQ01.MPG files from each SVCD's MPEG2 folder to another folder on my desktop
    4) previewed the resulting mpg files to make sure they looked good, then burned them to a dvd-r with Nero and stuck them in my Philips, assuming they'd play great as other mpg files have.

The problem is I get the red VCD logo on my Philips (instead of the mpg2 logo), and when I start to play the files they are completely blocky and pixelated. Apparently all mpg files aren't created equal, even though the files play great by themselves in Window Media Player, Nero Showtime, or any other software app.

Since, like a true genius, I've already deleted the original bin/cue files AND the SVCD files I created from them, I'm kind of stuck. Can someone please tell me how I can process these mpg files to make them compatible on the DVP642? I have Womble and VirtualDub. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  12. TiLK

TiLK Member

Hello, I have a 16:9 Sony projection TV and I was wondering if it was possible to move the subtitles up or down with the DVP642. There are a couple of formats on my TV: Normal, Full, Zoom, and Wide Zoom. Normal is 4/3, Full is basically 4:3 but it stretches the picture horizontally so it covers all the screen, Zoom is normal 2x zoom on the certer of the picture.
    When set to Normal and viewing a widescreen movie (1.85 or whatever), there are black bars on all four sides and therefore the movie doesn't take all the space. When I set it to Zoom the movie itself now takes the whole screen, but it hides 1 line of subtitles below the picture so I have to set it to Normal to see all the subs.It there was a way to change the position of subtitles by changing coordinates or whatever that would be great and I could watch Der Untergang in peace. Thanks.

P.S.: I would just like to add that the subtitles don't work when they're on a DVD-R (and yes the disk is closed). I have to re-burn the movie to a CD-RW (closed also otherwise I can't skip while the movie is playing). On the DVD-R there's just an interrogation point icon in the menu and it doesn't recognize the file (srt)

13. dki

dki Guest

mrchubb,

I had a similar problem in that I was converting DVDs to MPEG4 in hopes of playing them on my DVP642 using Nero Ultra. No dice. It played on my computer but nada on the DVP so I wrote to Nero about it & got this reply:

"Dear valued customer,

thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

Your player has to be able to read Nero Digital.

At the moment there are only a few standalone player able to play Nero Digital, but more and more players will be compatible in the future.

Nero Reloaded has to be installed on a machine then you can play NeroDigital in Showtime."

So, looks like the Nero Digital version of MPEG4 isn't recognized by the Philips! Too bad. I believe the KISS players from Europe play the Nero digital format.

14. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Try using Auto GK to encode to divX or Xvid. The divX encodes work perfectly on my DVP642.

15. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

dki and roylayer, thanks. Actually it isn't Nero Digital files which are the problem (the mpg file was burned with Nero, but it isn't a Nero mpg4 file, nor any other kind of mpg4 file). I used Nero for burning only. As it turns out it's something called the RF header in the mpg of an SVCD. It needs to be removed, which I did with Womble. Now the mpg file plays flawlessly on the 642.

roylayer, I thought about using AutoGK but didn't want any quality loss if it wasn't absolutely necessary...but thanks anyway. AutoGK is absolutely indispensable for those of us who own this player.

16. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Member

Hey all
    I am new here. I registered just so I could ask a question.

I just got my DVP642/37 and it came with the current FW (1109). It was manufactured 01/05.
    It has played everything fine so far. I only have store bought DVDs, so I didn't expect a problem until...

I bought a DVD+R disc from A&E.com
    It was for one of their shows and they only sell DVD+Rs.
    I threw it in and after about 30 seconds the image froze. It played fine for those 30 seconds. It loaded fine prior to that. Anyway, I thought it was the disc so I returned it and I got my new disc today. The same thing happened. I called their customer service up and told them what happened and they said that it is probably my DVD player. I said, it couldn't be because it is new and it says in my manual that it is supposed to play DVD+Rs. They suggest I call Philips CS.

I did. I just got off the phone with them. They seemed to know what I was talking about and that it has happened before. They said that they are working the kinks out of some new Firmware. Right now the firmware causes more problems than it solves, but they expect to have it fixed "very soon".
    I asked the lady if I should return the disc I bought and she said, "no, we should have the firmware fixed soon and it should play your disc."
    I am not to tech savy but she said that the reason my disc didn't play was because of the "speed" the disc needs to be read at was not possible with my player...YET.

So anyway, what I am curious is...has anyone here ever experienced this problem? If so, what did you do about it? or did you just ignore it?

Either way they are supposedly working on a solution for it.

Let me know though.

-Raph

17. roylayer

roylayer Guest

I pretty much only deal with DVD-Rs, and they seem to work fine. (Ironic, since, at least in some places, Philips mentions only DVD+r in their documentation, causing some people to question whether the player will even play DVD-Rs!)

However, I did buy some DVD+RWs lately and had a strange problem with it. I erased the disc using EZ CD and DVD Creator 6 and burned an AVI file to it. The file looked fine in Windows Explorer and played perfectly on the PC.

However, when I tried playing it in the DVD642, the new file was not there - only some entries for the old files that I thought I had erased! (These were probably only directory entries, but still...!) I tried a bunch of stuff, and I'm not sure what did the trick, but I was finally able to burn the file and have it work. I burned a real video DVD structure to it, and that worked fine. Then, when I reburned it with the AVI file, it finally worked fine too. I also put the file inside a folder instead of at the root level, so I don't know if that made any difference. I've done the exact same thing with DVD-RWs many times with no problems. Strange!

Anyway, I am less than impressed by my first experience with the +RW world and the Philips player. I'm going to stick with -RW and -R.

18. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I use DVD+R and DVD+RW with AutoGK & DVDShrink. I have never had a problem. Try another brand.
    (When installing AutoGK, be sure to enable support for standalone players)

19. 13Jinx

13Jinx Member

Also just got a DVP 642 and have Nero. When making VCDs, my player won't recognize the Menu that the Nero Wizard allows you to make. Anyone have any ideas why this might be or how it can be fixed? Thanks!

20. 13Jinx

13Jinx Member

PS: Spoke with Philips today and they don;t suggest downloading the firmware upgrade on their site.