1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Member

Yea. As far as the upgrade, that is the same thing I was told. It is there on their site and it could fix my DVD+R problem, but they don't reccomend using it just yet. I hope they get it fixed soon. I need to see my A&E Super Heroes Unmasked DVD+R!!!!!

Yea...I know I am a loser.

2. roylayer

roylayer Guest

How completely stupid! If they don't want people to download it, why don't they remove it from their website?!

3. 13Jinx

13Jinx Member

Agreed! I actually tried to do the upgrade before I called or found this forum and it didn't work. Fortunately the player still works! Anyway, can anyone using NERO 6 Ultra tell me why the custom menu the wizard tool lets you create for VCDs or SVCDs doesn't work or is there something I'm missing?
    I finally figured out to make discs that work using Nero without menus (after reading many many posts!!!) but it would be cool to use ALL the features of Nero. Thx!

4. goldstar

goldstar Member

what are we going to see with this new upcoming firmware upgrade? Are they going to add more codecs?

5. goldstar

goldstar Member

I have this one video clip that i got online, it is about 300mgb and 1 hour long with great picture and sound quality, the file is *avi but divX encoded i think. It plays great on dvp642 except for one little thing, I cannot fast-forward, when I try to do that I get a little hand in the top left corner, sort of saying not possible. This really sucks cause this clip is 1 hour long ))

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  6. 13Jinx

13Jinx Member

I understand/hope they will include the Nero Recode stuuf for mpeg4. Does anyone have any idea why y mpeg4 codec for Nero might not work? I'm trying to burn a SVCD and I keep getting a meesage that I need to buy the retail version (which I have!).

7. goldstar

goldstar Member

I think Nero is adding something with the file, sort of a signature that dvp642 can't recognize. Sometimes I burn movies just by drag and dropping with no problem, of course sometimes that doesn’t work deepening on the codec, and then I go back and use different software.

About not being able to use Menus with Nero, I don’t really know, I don’t use Nero, but I do use this one software that comes standard with Sony computers that have DVD recorders, and it is great you can add Menus with no problem, but it only works with DVDs

8. dki

dki Guest

13Junx & Goldstar,

According to Nero, the Philips won't play Nero Digital however, there are some European (Kiss & Siemssen) decks that will. Here's what they told me:

"thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

Your player has to be able to read Nero Digital.

At the moment there are only a few standalone player able to play Nero Digital, but more and more players will be compatible in the future.

Nero Reloaded has to be installed on a machine then you can play NeroDigital in Showtime.
    thank you for your email and your interest in our software.

here is a player: http://www.nero.com/de/Siemssen_DVD_Player.html"

9. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Guys, I've had my 642 for months and am happy with Xvid and DivX files on it. I also have the full Nero suite, but haven't messed with Recode at all because virtually every comparison I've seen says that Xvid is a superior codec anyway. My question is why is there so much buzz about whether or not the 642 will ever be able to play it when there's free stuff like AutoGK out there which can create kick-ass Xvid files which WILL play on the 642? Is the Nero mpg4 codec really worth it?

10. blued888

blued888 Member

Is there a DivX/XviD resolution limit on the DVP642? 'Cause my 800x___ XviDs are cut off on the right side of the screen. The DVP642 only shows about 4/5s of the video.

11. cgl88

cgl88 Member

For: multisession or disc-at-once.

Will the DVP642 be able to read a DVD+R that's been burned with multisession? I know for mp3 disc burning DAO is better to ensure playback, but is the same true for dvd burning avi/divx files?

12. roylayer

roylayer Guest

I've burned and played multi-session DVD-RW and DVD+RW with no problem. (These contain AVI and MPG files, not VIDEO_TS files.)

13. icechai

icechai Member

14. Dropik

Dropik Member

I have my philips dvp642 for a while and it's not working realy well. I stored my divx movies on a dvd+r. when i watch them, after 30 min. or so i can see like sound is not synchr. with picture.
    Every movie is like that. Always sound goes forward and picture stay 0.5 sec behind.I use Gordian Knot for long time. Any sugestion ? Maybe something wrong with keyframe

15. 13Jinx

13Jinx Member

Has anyone used the NEODVD converter? Just wondering if it works any better than Nero. I would still like the ability to make menus for my VCDs!!!!

16. mosspa

mosspa Member

I've just about all but given up with Nero 6. These people must think they are Microsoft. The amount of bloat added between Version 5 and Version 6 is sickening. I was a very happy camper with Nero 5. After killing the wizzard the first time through Nero 5 does not try to be helpful. It doesn't try to look trendy, and it does what you expect it is doing. I have had so many problems with getting Nero 6 to do the stuff I want, I always revert back to Nero 5. I would never trust Nero 6 to do video conversions correctly. Any time I burn video files with Nero, something else has created the image that gets burned.

Moss

17. cgl88

cgl88 Member

I've had no problems playing divx and some of the xvids, but I have a few xvid/AC3-encoded videos that Philips will not play - Have there been any firmware upgrades to support this codec, or will i have to make some kind of format conversion to the file?

18. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You might try running it through either Virtual Dub or Virtual Dub Mod.

19. rocman

rocman Member

Friend's copy of relatively high resolution Seinfeld episodes show up fine except the people have blue skin... it's hilarious, but i was wondering if this is a known problem with anyone?

20. GreatwoIf

GreatwoIf Member

blue skin?! HA! that's the first time i've heard of it. Oh, when you say high resolution, how high? The naruto anime that I try on my dvp642 is 640x480 and I do notice some sides being cut off.