1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

2. waffleman

waffleman Member

This is not an encoding problem, these are dvd images I am burning, not divx movies, there is nothing to re-encode, I am either burning .img,vob or iso files, they play fine in my computer, and on other peoples players, sorry I was not specific. I don't really have any divx issues it's the one thing on the player that seems to work most of the time, depending on if the codec is supported.

3. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I beg your pardon - now I understand. DIVX is such a common complaint that I just assumed...

Lets isolate variables. What do you mean the memorex re-writable works OK? Is it a DVD+RW or CD-RW? Could you burn one of the problem movies onto it and see if it works? Some player can be picky about their media.
    Also you mention that they play about halfway and quit. Is this consistent? I wonder if it is attempting a layer change (does anyone out there know if layer changes are coded into the data?).
    It may have something to do with the ripping process. Have you tried DVDShrink? (It works very well with my DVP642; see http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/).

All things considered, getting a cheap backup player may be the way to go. Keep your receipt just in case!

4. waffleman

waffleman Member

ya I think I have given up on it, they are all dvd's I am working with, and ya it kicks out half way through, these are 4.7gb discs, so there should be no layer switching that i know of, and I have used dvdshrink, nero, alcohol 120%, everything pretty much does the same thing.. so I think I am gonna try to find a new player, but I have been reading about lots of others that have the same issue, but they say they play it. So i think i might have to hit a store with a mess of discs and be that annoying testing customer that trys all the players. hehe

5. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

Just wondering...Does this player play movies that have been correctly encoded by XviD Codec v1.1.0 Beta 2 (Koepi's 04042005)?

6. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

I just bought a 642/37 today, which came with the firmware 1109. It seems like the Disc Menu button doesn't work correctly while I'm watching a DivX.. if I press it once, instead of going to the menu, it plays the first video on the disc. If I press it again after that video has loaded, then the front display says "MENU ON" and it shows the disc menu.

After reading the manual, I thought the MP3/JPEG NAV setting was supposed to control this (it's set to WITH MENU), but I guess not.

Other than that, it seems pretty good. I have a tricky DVD+R DL disc whose menus don't load correctly on the Norcent, Apex, or GoVideo players I tried, but they mostly work in the 642.

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  7. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Mr2001, once you have you have the "Menu On" setting enabled, don't use the "Disc Menu" button again with data discs. Use the "Stop" button instead to return to the disc menu. Yes, I realize that isn't very intuitive! It's not in the manual that I can tell. "Stop" takes you to the disc menu immediately, whereas "Disc Menu" forces the player to reload the directory before displaying the "Disc Menu."

8. Nk05

Nk05 Member

Having another problem - I was watching a divx this morning
    and when I tried to skip backwards (and forward as I later found)
    it went to the next file on the disc!

Is there any way around this?

It was an 77 minute concert... it was the last song and I had to leave the room so I went to skip back to see what I missed and it went to the next divx file!! So annoying!

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  9. ridgez28

ridgez28 Member

I have a DVP642/37 and it will not play my DVD-R. I burned 5 and none of them play. Any ideas thanks in advance. Also how can i tell the firmware rev? I was able to access from the remote but don't remember the code.

10. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

ridgez28, open the disc tray (hold STOP) and press 5, 6, 9, OK.

11. ridgez28

ridgez28 Member

MR2001 I thank you.

12. ronish

ronish Member

I have had this Player DVP642/37 for about 3 months now and it plays great. There are a few times when it will not play a copied DVD but it turns out that its not the player but just the media type being used or DVD not copied properly.
    My Firmware version uis 1109 and I wanted to see if there was an update to a newer version but unfortunately Philips site doesn't have any firmware updates at all. So I went looking for a firmware update on google and found this link for all the people that might need the VER1109.
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Philips/Philips-DVD-642K-firmware-1109.shtml

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  13. ridgez28

ridgez28 Member

ronish Thanks for the response. My player has 1109 firmware. The media I used was maxell DVD -R and it plays fine on the computer. This was the first time the player rejected anything I put in it. I assume you have been able to play -R media. What media have you been using? Thanks.

14. denis327

denis327 Member

Bought this player from Wal-mart(Canada) 3 days ago. It came with firmware VER1223(Dec 23rd). Does anyone know what's new with ths firmware? Apparently I have most of the problems discussed in this forum, such as;

1.Some DivX/XviD files not working at all(those with GMC or QPEL)
    2.VCD menus created with Nero6 not working
    3.Poor quality DivX/XviD subtitles. Vobsub not recognized.
    4.Zoom 1.5x not present for DivX/XviD
    5.Functions like slow rewind/jump to a specified time/resume not working with DivX/Xvid
    6. WMV/RealMedia/QT not recognized

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  15. hg_

hg_ Member

hi denis372.

6. WMV/RealMedia/QT not recognized

this player does not play (officially at least) wmv, quicktime, or realmedia.

i believe some people have had it play some wma files.

i'm using firmware 1109 and the only problems i've had are some sync issues with poorly encoded files and some vcds i created with sonic mydvd verson 4.5.

i've ben bitten by the qpel issue once with a downloaded file.

if you look a few pages back someone posted a link to that firmware.

-hg_

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  16. waffleman

waffleman Member

OK here goes, I think I resolved one of the problems I personally found, I was having problems with it playing burned dvd-r discs, and some +r's as well I recently changed some settings in nero to cache files smaller than (in nero by defauly is 64KB) I changed to 640KB and so far all my discs I have burned (3) have worked this was a consistant problem for me so I am going to continue to track it, let me know if this helps anyone, or if anyone came across the same issue.

thanks
    WAFFLEMAN!

17. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

I have a xvid file that has a size of 640 x 480...My tv is not widescreen....When I play that file, some parts of the bottom are cut off...Is there a way that I can make it so that I can see the whole image, since there are hard subs on the bottom of the image...

18. On353

On353 Member

I'm thinking of getting this player to play divx movies. I've been encoding some movies into divx and was wondering about the audio. Is it better to encode the audio in vbr or cbr for playing divx movies on the phillips divx dvd player? I'm using autogk. It has settings for auto audio, cbr, and vbr. I read that the auto audio is pretty much the same as vbr. Any advice?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  19. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

vbr seems to work as well as cbr. I ususally opt for mp3 128 vbr. If the movie is a concert or something where highest quality sound is important, then I use the original ac3 soundtrack.

20. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2005