1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. ssih

ssih Member

Well, I downloaded Mpeg4modifier from two different locations, and I got an error each time I tried to run it. At one of the download locations was this: "It is written in C#, so you need the .NET v1.1 Framework to run it." Unfortunatly, I have absolutely no idea what ANY of that means.

2. Nk05

Nk05 Member

I have some divx avi's I am trying to play on my DVP642, and for whatever reason the timing of the playback is really messed up. It will play at normal speed, then jitter slightly faster for a half second, then play normally, then jitter. It's very annoying. Any way around this?

3. zmzn

zmzn Member

ssish the NET v1.1 is from Microsoft. You can download it using Windows Update.

4. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

anyone know of any player that can play more media filed then the 642? Like the new nero digital ones?

5. patcan

patcan Guest

Hi everyone!
    I wanted to watch some japanese cartoons through my Philips DivX player. These cartoons are in files which can be viewed perfectly fine on my PC. However, when I burn them on to a DVD and try to watch them on the divx player, the translation subtitles are too low down the screen to be seen. There are two lines of subtitles. The first can be seen, but the second one is out of the picture. Any thoughts or help on how to go about fixing such a problem will be appreciated. Thank you!

6. lilricky

lilricky Member

You'll have to tell us what video format are the cartoons encoded in and what captioning is being used.

7. patcan

patcan Guest

the cartoons are encoded with XviD MPEG-4 at 23.976 fps and resolution 640*480(4:3). The subtitles are not in a different file, they are just part of the movie (I guess made part of the pictures). Hope it's enough information. Thanks

8. keizo

keizo Member

I also want to watch some japanese cartoons as patcan said. these are referded to as anime. But thats beside the point, the files that I use are .avi through my Philips DivX DVP642 player. These cartoons are in files which can be viewed perfectly fine on my PC. However, when I burn them on to a DVD and try to watch them on the divx player, I have the same problem, the translation subtitles are too low down the screen to be seen. There are two lines of subtitles. The first can be seen, but the second one is out of the picture. and sometimes it is steached to far on each side to catch the begining and end of it. Any thoughts or help on how to go about fixing such a problem will be appreciated for now 2 people please help.

Thanks

9. lilricky

lilricky Member

10. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

I have a few questions about upgrading the firmware...

1.) My dvp642/37 came with firmware 1109...Does it have macrovision?
    2.) I want to upgrade to the new firmware 0517 because I have a hard time seeing the subtitles. Does this firmware version make the subtitles more readable?
    3.) I don't have any CD-R/Rw's...I only have DVD-R/Rw's...Can I use DVD-R/RW's to upgrade instead?

11. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

I wouldn't upgrade to the 0517 for it is only for regions 3 & 6 if you try to play a Region 1 DVD on it , it comes up with Background sound only and the voice track is gone.. Dunno why .. But I just re flashed mine back to the previous ver because of it....

12. AponKosto

AponKosto Member

Help PLz!
    I Got THe dvd play dvp642/17 and i put the frimwire n did something Now my Power doesnt turn on it always in standby mode when i turn on my power nothin comes out. the red light for standby mode goes away but nothing comes out not even tv screen or my dvd cd the frimwire cd is still stuck there th power doesnt go thu my player soemthin is wrong any one knows how to fix dat the dvd player is k but not the program

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You could always use it for a boat anchor?!?!

14. sfgsg

sfgsg Member

for those who are still having trouble with subtitles (i.e. having problems getting the srt to work)....i found that it could be because the srt was created with a unix line ending instead of the dos line ending. to be quite honest, i don't know what that means, but when i convert the srt from unix to dos, the srt finally works on my player (i had used every method mentioned on this forum to no avail before...). i used this site to convert my files:

http://www.software-path.com/cgi-bin/line_end.cgi?justconvert=UNIX2Dos

i hope this helps someone.

15. ssih

ssih Member

Firmware 0517? Where can I find out about this - i.e., what does it do? Is it new firmware? If so, why does it have a lower number than 1109?

16. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

I wouldn't bother with the 0517 Firmware it only supports Regions 3 & 6 and if you try to play a DVD from another region like say 1 it only plays the video Back ground sounds but there is no dialog.. (which was weird) so I would stick with your current firmware

17. ssih

ssih Member

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

18. mok

mok Member

can the dvp 642 play XVID or DIVX with DTS audio track? ***assuming that It's connected to a DTS capable receiver of course***

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  19. beatfulda

beatfulda Member

Can anyone help me with this problem...
    I encode my Xvid's according to the "philips dvp642 xvid re-encode settings" page somewhere in this forum...However, sometimes, for some Xvid's, the bottom half of the picture flickers when I play it. There is no qpel, gmc, packed bitstream, etc. The bitrate is around 1200. It plays fine on the computer. Somebody in another forum thinks it is because of b-frames, but I have some Xvid's with b-frames, that play fine...Can somebody tell me what is causing the flickering?

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Beatfulda, I've had the same problem many times, but only with 4:3 source video, not 16:9. Example: created 13 Xvids of season 1 of Six Feet Under, which is a 4:3 source, and got the lower half flickering on almost every file, some more than others. But, when I back up season 3, which is 16:9, I don't get the problem. Same with many other episodics (Sopranos, 24, etc.) which are NOT 4:3. Are you having the problem with source video that is other than 4:3?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2005