1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. coldstar

coldstar Member

Is there any kind of device i could buy to chnage the size of the video before it gets to the tv? to fix the overscan problme

2. patcan

patcan Guest

Hi all!
    So I have an AVI file and it works fine on my PC, but when I
    watch it on my Philips DivX player, the picture is not the same
    at all. The picture is changed beyond recognition. The file's info is
    as found in AviCheck
    AUDIO: 0 - AC3(0x2000)
    Average bitrate Per Sec: 448 kb/s
    Samples Rate: 48000 Hz
    Video: XviD
    B-VOP: Yes
    S(GMC)-VOP: No
    QuarterPixel: No
    Frame Size: 560 x 432
    Frame Rate: 25.000

If somebody could point out to the source of this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hi their..patcan..what do u mean by pic not the same at all..no pic, smaller pic,pixalated,,what
    hows the sound
    this is not standard for TV..Frame Size: 560 x 432,this will be a little smaller [TV Standard 720x480]..although it will show full screen on computer

4. patcan

patcan Guest

Well, what I mean is that a picture is unrecognazible at all. The sound is okay though. In the movie I can only see the outline of the characters but nothing is smooth. That's what I meant.

5. tmfloria

tmfloria Active member

Press the System Menu twice at the start of the movie and see if that fixes it....

Some Xvids don't like the dvp/642

6. patcan

patcan Guest

Hey, it worked. It's strange sometimes how this player operates. Thank you!

7. marcos90

marcos90 Member

Anyone knows if 642k suports , multisessions with DVD-R mídia type ?

8. Hiram85

Hiram85 Member

Hello I currently have this DVd player the philips dvp642 and say I am very happy with. There is only one problemo, when i burn stuff to a cd-r they play great in avi format. Now I have south park the season 1, and ripped it all so that it can fit into one whole DVD+R. Now I was able to fit all of them and burn them as Data using nero. Now when I put it on the DVd it Does seems to recognize it, but some how it starts then it says scene index and starts all over. It just keeps replaying over and over again. Like it only plays the first couple of seconds then it skeeps to the next chapoter or next video. Then plays again a few seconds. Can anyone please help me on this. All files are in .avi format in mp3 bitrate.

thanx

9. patcan

patcan Guest

Hi everyone!
    I have a bit of a problem. I watch many avi's on my DivX player and many of them work fine. However, sometimes I play an avi file and the sound is very low and I have to turn it up to maximum just to be able to hear a thing. Anybody has any idea as to why this could be!?!?
    Also, sometimes when I watch an avi file, I see squares appering on the screen as if somebody is pressing the FF button ( rewinding forward) and it skips a little piece and then goes back to normal. After some time, it will do the same thing again. If anybody has any idea, any input would be appreciated. Thank you all for your help!!!

10. Marjancek

Marjancek Member

Hi there. I have the dvp642 almost a year now, and every more often it can't play what I'm trying to see, what makes me really disappointed.

Both incorrectly decoded films or not read at all films are becoming a real problem, making my reader almost obsolete.

Is there any new up-date that could widen the spectre of encodings that my reader reads? I haven't been able to find anything at all at philips.com.

Thank you very much,
    Marjancek.

11. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

My kids broke the battery pannel off the remote control, and now it is lost. I don't like the remote, and never have.

Is there a good replacement for the 642 remote? Are there universal remotes that work better????

12. watersfx

watersfx Member

Hey. I was wondering is this idea was at all possible. I like the idea of burning divxs to DVD but I like the menu setup of a traditional dvd. Would it be possible to create a standard dvd menu structure (.vob, etc.) which links to the divx movies on the disc (.avi or whatever)? So for instance would it be possible to have a motion/picture menu showing the covers of a few dvds, and when one is clicked the philips player plays the cooresponding divx file?

13. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

watersfx, no, sorry. On a PC, you can get DVD-style menus with MPEG4 video by using either ratDVD or DivX 6.0, but the DVP 642 doesn't support either one. (It'll play DivX 6 videos, but not the menus.)

14. coldstar

coldstar Member

Hi can anyone help me im having a hard time with subtitle files they work smetimes and other times they wont all are SRT format some i have converted from other types but are SRTs now the dvd player shows them being on the disc and a subtitle file but wont let me select them with the subtitle buttion on the remote any ideas?

15. r6danl

r6danl Member

Can someone tell me if there is a fix for the "VERTICAL LINE" problem? I can't seem to find much info on it. Will a firmware update do the trick? If so then what version. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am so annoyed by the lines. Thanks!

16. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I gave up on the need to constantly reset the color part of the picture menu to get rid of the vertical bars and got another divx capable dvd player and am much happier now. Let's face it-the DVP642 is yesterday's news.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  17. r6danl

r6danl Member

Which player did you get and is it just as capable with xvid as the dvp642? Thanks!

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm looking for a Divx DVD player that plays standard Mpeg files as well as all other formats !! Any help would be appreciated.I've looked everywher..all specs I've read are either DVD & Mpeg..or Divx DVD..but not all..I have an AMW v101 that I like cause it plays any type of standard DVD's & mpeg files..it has never failed..of course price is relivant..hoping for $100. or less

20. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

The DVP 642 plays MPEG files.