1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks a Lot..zrdb...I'LL check Bestbuy..How long U had the unit..just curious whether or not to buy extended warranty ? If they still carry the unit

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

This model is no longer carried by BB, there's another LG model that they carry, but it has a vacuum loading slot (no tray) I've read where it can scratch "flipper" discs, basically the same model with some cosmetic changes. As to extended warranties-I think they are a bunch of BS, no cost to the stores that hawk them, just pure profit-stay away at all costs!!

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks..zrdb..I don't like that type either..tray type scratchs enough as it is..I think I'll try & find a store on the net that carries it..I'll call the JR Store monday they have 800#..I've had dealings with them before..good service..good cus. support..when i 1st bought my avayon i f%#k it up & They sent me rite to the dist. & we fixed the prob right over the ph...very quick ph return response..but don't really know about some of the stores that list this prod.As I said earlier from about $70. to $200. ! Don't mind paying as long as I get what I'm paying for..If U find a reputable dealer on the net let me know,and again THANK YOU

4. currygoat

currygoat Guest

Mr2001: thank you for the reply. I opened it up just now (Oct01) and capacitor C316 IS INDEED BULGING up a bit. I found instructions on how to fix from someone called 's002cjs': link: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=4117&Search=Search&

one question though: I forceably opened the CD tray to remove the disc which was in there. You know, it kinda opened with force and I could hear the gears clicking against each other. Did I irrecipably damage the thing you think?

update: I kinda forceably pushed the CD tray back in again. Heard click/clanks. No visible broken plastic or anything. No idea if I somehow permanently broke it until I fix the capacitor issue :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

HERES a QUESTION for all..can u mix AVIs-Divx-Xvid's & Mpegs on the same Disc? Will THE PLAYER reconize them

6. sneek

sneek Member

i have a DVP 642 - brand new and i cant seem to play subtitles the subtitles are named the same as the movies file
    ps: the movies are in divx.

7. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

rick5446, yes, you can mix AVI, MPG, MP3, JPG, etc. As long as it's a data disc (not a DVD-Video, (S)VCD, or audio CD), you can put any data files on it that the player supports.

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thank You Mr2001

9. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Hi, I just got one last week from bestbuy, and it plays just about everything I put in it and seems to make very little noise. Maybe (I hope not) you got a bad one or something. But mine didn't come with a remote because the model was out of stock and i had to buy the floor model, so I bought a universal remote and everything seems to work fine except does anyone know? if when you burn AVI onto a DVD+R and play it in the Philips dvp642 if you can fastforward or rewind 2x 4x 8x etc. Everytime I try it just skips to the next track and I'm just wondering if it's because I don't have the original remote?thanx.

10. r6danl

r6danl Member

If you have a directional pad on that remote then try to press to the right for fast forward and left for rewind. On the factory remote fast forward and rewind are really the left and right buttons on a directional type pad with "OK" in the middle. OH ya and it will only go as fast as 8x. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  11. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Thanks! I have a directional pad on the remote, but unfortunately it seems to be programmed only for (up)chan+(down)chan-(left)vol-(right)vol+. It is a philips univeral remote oddly enough.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello badwulf...U should be able to order a dedicated remote..although they might price gouuge..the last one I bought cost me 5 times what the bloody TV cost..but unfortunately i needed that specific remote foe menu features no other would work..
    Just keep posting here..somebody will show up with what U can probably use..you will like this neighborhood

13. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Thanks rick! This is the best forum I've found so far on video related topics. I've just contacted philips and they told me I could order the remote for $20. But I think I've found another store that has them in stock so I will probably return the one I have. Cheers!

14. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Hey...here's a question. I'm having trouble burning some mpeg-4's to a dvd and getting them to play on dvp642. There's 15 files and I've used roxio easy media creator and also cdrwin to burn them using make a dvd data disc. Am I dense or am I doing something wrong? My xvids play fine doing it this way. But when I put the disc into the player it takes a long time to load and the menu comes up listing the files but they won't play. All I get is the hand. Please help!@

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Ive got the same problem sometimes..also will skip a file sometimes..if i restart[open-close] the Disc it will play,but it sometimes skips a file..but when i go to menu [it reads start then stop then the hand] I have'nt tried running the files through NanDUB yet that is going to be my next venture to see if the files are fully encoded..I had to do this with [7 Seconds]to get the vocal to play on a stand alone..it played fine on computer,but garbiled on Player..might be a similar type of problem..Doubt it though as when i burn them seperatly they seem to play fine..I'm beginning to think its a glitch in some or all players

16. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I seen this behavior with 'bad' encodes. Try re-encoding and give it another try.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

HELLO..mhudson7..Do u mean run it through nadub again ?

18. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

19. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Almost forgot...if you use AutoGK, you MUST enable ESS standalone support during installation. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well I got another NEW problem with this frigging player...when i eject the DVD..the tray comes out but no DVD..I've got to take all the friggin screws out to remove the DVD..3 times this has happened in 2 days..guess I'll leave the screws out till I figure this out..dirty rotten flixin-maxin-spliggin-flugin-diddly-wattin machine..gonna throw it in the out house hole..see if that helps