1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  2. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Are you bumping the player before ejection?

I can't imagin how the disc will slip out of the tray.

3. badwulf

badwulf Guest

Hey mhudson7, what's the best tool for reincoding. I have divx converter but it doesn't accept these mp4's. Also I have digital media converter, will that work? One more question can I convert psp to divx? Thanx a million!

4. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Sorry badwulf - I couldn't tell you. I've only had experience re-encoding avi's that wouldn't play on my 642.

rick5446 - sounds like you got a lemon. Take it back and get another. This player works great for me.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm going to leave the screws out so as to see if I can figure it out,the next time it happens.But like everything goes now that I'm watching for it,it will probably never happen again..I really can't see how they jump off either.The retainer runs from side to side

6. goshob

goshob Member

Hi,
    I am facing a problem with the player. When pressing the buttons on the remote by random order a combination was made in such a way that the player switched off. The re was a message “closing” shown on the screen of the TV. Since than I cannot start the player back in operation neither from the remote, nor from the player. Unfortunately I did not remember the combination for locking the player…
    I will be glad if someone can help in that.

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well like i said from oct 7 till oct 14th the player has been doing fine [about 3 mov p/day],with the screws out,bet if i put them back in,it will do the same thing

8. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I seem to remember reading in the owners manual about resetting the player back to the factory settings by unplugging it while holding the power button in the on position or some such thing.

9. dralex

dralex Member

Hi all! I bought recently Philips DVD DVP642 - and i really like it!. the only question i have is re: region codes. I brought a few DVD from Europe (region code 5) and i put it in and the DVD was playing it without problems. Does it mean that i'm fine and that i don't need any Region code hacks to install? I've read somewhere that DVD can play different region codes for up to 5 times and then it stopps playing DVDs at all. Is that true?

10. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

The dvd player that will not die-it keeps coming back to life! As mentioned earlier I dumped mine and moved on to something else. I'm much happier for it.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well then..zrdb,why don't U share with us what U moved on to..we are all interested in improving the quality of our equipment..also at what cost,& a reliable place to purchase

12. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I did about 8 or 9 pages back, what I got was an LGDVB418, which is an upconverting player (920P & 1080I), it plays most files a lot better than our old friend, only downside I've noticed is it's a little picky about what media you burn your files onto.

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello again..zrdb-what media so far have U found that the player is a little picky about..this info would be helpful to all that are interested in buying this unit..i did see a couple of the lg models at circuit city..one was a combo DVD,VCR,Recorder..under 300bucks

14. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

This is really crappy...

I checked the specs on LGDVB418 and nothing says it officially supports DIVX or even XVID.

Fankly that is the reason for this thread.. DIVX compatible DVP-642 and how to get the most from it. The only problems I have seen from people are on defective equipment.

15. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

...or defective files. Re-encoding problem files has been 100% successful for me. Search this thread for detailed instructions.

16. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Read the owners manual-it states that it supports divx 3-5 and xvid-I can vouch for that fact, it seems to be picky about certain generic brands of dvd-r's, reencoding isn't always the answer, either.

17. keizo

keizo Member

Does anyone know where I can download an upgrade for this dvp642 player?

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello dcmorrow the LG HD-Conversion DVD Player (LDA511)does[bestbuy is the cheapest].SEEMs the LGDVB418 does not
    HD DVD playback: In addition to progressive-scan capability, this stylish DVD player can upconvert movies to high-definition 1080i resolution through the HDMI interface. This means you can enjoy all of your favorite films in stunning high-definition.

Multi-format playback: Enjoy movies, music and more, thanks to compatibility with DVDs, CDs, MP3s, DVD audio and other digital media formats.

7-in-2 memory card slot: Enter a world of digital media versatility with the multi memory card slot. Access files from MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, Smart Media, Memory Stick®/Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash and Micro Drive formats.

Divx® compatible: Enjoy high-quality movies that you've burned from your PC.

A/V versatility: With HDMI, component and S-video outputs, it's easy to incorporate this DVD player into any home theater system.

Digital audio outputs: Use the digital audio outputs to receive amazingly realistic digital sound that will enhance any soundtrack.

Note: HD-compatible TV required to view DVDs in HD format.

19. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I wonder if the LDA511 will also play divx encoded video with HD resolutions. IE: 1920x1080i, not just upconvert the output but process that kind of data stream.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

check out bestbuy or specs on web