1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. MastaZorg

MastaZorg Guest

2. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

someone please tell how i can use my ASUS TV7134 WDM Video Capture with came with my comuter i tryed to make it work on windows movie maker by connecting a cable to my vcr because i want edit my movie but i am have big trouble??????!!

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Heads up everybody U can now buy the Philips DVD DVP642 at Circuit City..they have an extended 3 yr warranty..which i recomend with this player..due to the fact i've read more faults with this player then any other..I know if u got a good one u got a good one..but most complaints I've heard are around 6mons they go tits up..I my self bought one at Walmart just over a mon ago what a pisser coulda got the warranty

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Phil...00066/catOid/-12873/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

4. iamspanky

iamspanky Guest

i've had this player since last christmas and i have two questions.

1. i can't find the firmware, can someone please link it for me? thanks
    2. i encoded the a dvd to mp4 but for some reason it won't read it. all that happens is a hand shows up on the top lefthand side. i would really like to see this file on my tv. do i need to upgrade my firmware? please help!! why won't it play my mp4 file??

5. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

What tool did you use to encode it?

You should try using AutoGK to encode it to an AVI file, not an MP4. Make sure you select ESS standalone compatibility when you install it.

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Quick Question for anybody..I've seen a lot of players that ADVERTISE Mpeg4. Will these players play AVI's, Divx,Xvid's,I know they are all based on Mpeg4 technology.With their own little HO-HUMs.I see a lot of these players emerging,& cheap too.Starting at 40bucks & UP,I do enjoy the fact that I can put a whole TV series like Deadwood,or Lost on 1 DVD. I don't miss chapters,as U can do a time jump

7. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

All I can tell you is to go someplace where you can actually lay your hands on the player and bring a test disc of xvid/divx material and see how that particular player handles it. Other wise what ever model you choose-investigate it as throughly as you can-google it, whatever. Other than than that I can't tell you any thing else. And go to sites like this and see if there are any forums on it.

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Anybody know anything about this player its on sale at compusa,today is the last day,would appreciate a response ASAP..THANKS
    DP3182 Progressive Scan DVD Player
    Manufacturer: US Logic
    Mfg Part #: 020658
    Product Number: 319618
    Was: $59.99
    $49.99 (16% Off)
    SAVE $10 after:
    $10.00 instant savings
    Audio CD
    Divx
    DVD
    DVD-RW/-R
    DVD+RW/+R
    Kodak Picture CD
    MP3
    S-VCD
    VCD
    # Compatible with PAL & NTSC System
    # VFD display
    # Progressive-scan

9. SnakeA5

SnakeA5 Member

Can someone please help me?

I recently gave this DVD Player to a friend of mines since I upgraded to the Oppo unit. Problem is, I forgot to take the "Progressive Scan" option off in the menu when I gave it to him.... now he cant view any video because he only has a regular TV. He lives in California and I'm in NYC so the idea of bringing the unit back to my place, fixng it and returning it to him is pretty much out of the question...

Can someone please give me the Remote strokes to get to the Progressive Scan option & turn it off?

If so, I'd really appreciate it....

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello SnakeA5..U don't say what kind of DVD Player..& what happened to the manual U still got it or did it go with the player.Seems to me this is something that lingers around long after something is gone..U can Probably go on line & find the manual if U don't have it

11. SnakeA5

SnakeA5 Member

Oh.. im sorry.... The DVD Player is the Philips DVP642 Divx Player... The one that this Thread isa titled about?

Eitherway... I dont have the instruction manual and the manual would not be able to help me.

What I need is a Stroke guide for the remote control to tell me how to turn off the Progressive Scan in the Setup Menu.

for example...

Press System Menu... Press "select" button...press down Arrow twice....

Something like that^^

I need to turn progressive scan OFF. Thanks.

12. Nk05

Nk05 Member

When I watch a DVD with more than one angle (in this case a music video DVD), there is an icon in the upper right of the screen that has a picture of a camera and then "01/02". It never goes away and I cannot figure out a way to make it go away. This is very annoying. There HAS to be a way to get rid of it.

13. Crais

Crais Member

I am having a situation where my DVP-642 pauses briefly in between individual .VOBs on authored DVDs. It doesn't seem to matter what software I author on, or which particular brand of DVD - or + R that I burn to. Has anyone experienced this? Any known remedy?

Thanks...

14. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I found an interesting divx capable HDMI upscaleing player the other day, the JS4127 at Sears for $69.99. You know the old saying you get what you pay for? So very true!! THe mpeg 4 playback on this thing is hit or miss at best.

15. memfrican

memfrican Member

wow, ok big problem. i've had this player for a very long time. gone through alot of research on the web and other forums, but none to any avail. here's my problem, maybe a simple solution, but anyways, i was watching the recent episode of LOST, as a mpeg4 file on my dvp 642/37 firmware 1109. been watching divx, avi, mpeg movies for over 6 months, no problems. so i'm watching the episode and it stops at 20 minutes. so i reset it and it said "NO DISC." i knew this was a problem immediately. i got one of my dvd's i've burned (which all work in this player) and put it in. again "NO DISC" error. so then I got a regular dvd rented from blockbuster and same thing, "NO DISC" error. i was pissed and shocked. especially since i couldn't finish my episode of LOST! haha, but anyways so i let it sit for about 1 hour, same problem. then I tried one of my regular music CD's, that worked, so then tried my data disc again, and it still didnt work.

so then i got my 1109 firmware cd out and flashed the player. still not working. now i need some help. i think i might just need to clean the lens using a dvd cleaner-cd. i'm sure the CDR has a different lens than the DVD lens, meaning why the music cd's are still playing in my drive instead of all my dvd discs.

anyone have a situation like this, and how did you resolve it?

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello..memfrican..Sounds like your player lasted its life..most here say 6mons..I'm on my second 1 in less than 2mons..it was over the 30 day return..so i got stuck with it..i went out & bought an LG LDA511 AT CIRCUIT CITY 133.49 plus the service warranty 3yrs 29.99..the reason for the service war. is i watch about 6 dvd's a day..& while I'm sleeping its on repeat..this way its really tested..& if the damn thing breaks I'll get a new one..I push EM

17. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Check the board to see if capacitor C316 is bulging. If so, get a 1000u capacitor >=16V and replace it.

18. memfrican

memfrican Member

i'll check that out and let you know what i find. does this dvd player have a different lens for cd's and dvd's? when i opened it up last time, i only found one lens. and from my problem, i can play audio cd's but not dvds. weird.

19. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Buying the LG player was a good idea, I've brought,tested and returned 5 different divx/xvid capable players in the last 2 months and the LG is the one I kept, although I got the older LGDVB418 instead of the 511 because it has a tray instead of slot loading since I've read that the 511 scratches "flipper" discs and I have a few of those in my collection.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello..zrdb...Well I'm on my second LG LDA511..at first I thought it was the player so I took it back..But it turned out to be the DVD's..unfortunately it is the slotted type..which I'm not to thrilled with..but I did buy the 3yr warranty for it..Anyway sometimes with the Ritek & the TY's [printed Disc's only]they hang on the way in & out..These are the only 1's that do this..Dedicated DVD's,Shiney RW's all unprinted surfaces,these are OK...It's Sunday so tomorrow I'll give them a call & see whats up with this..Also if this is a continueing problem..I would rather have a tray loader if they still have one..other then it hanging upon loading & open..the player has excellent features..plays everything I've put in it..Hope they can resolve this problem for me..I hate having to push & pull on the DVD's..I could be damaging the player..O-Well thats why I got the warranty