1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

What models are you recommending?

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ zrdb..I'm sure that alot of people here agree with U on the Philips DVP642.I for one do!But then again their are a few that have gotten a good one,not many I'm sure.But along with bad experience on players,it would be nice to hear about the alternative players that we turned to and found to be worthy Players.I myself have posted & started new forums pertaining to this.I still have my Philips,but expect the worst of it,& will just trash it when it goes bad.But I have had good experience with US Logic DP3182 which I bought at CompUSA,& the AVAYON DXP1000 which I bought at J&R Store on the net.We all like to know about good units & RELIABLE places to buy.Both the player I mentioned,have not refused any Disc that I've but in them to date.I've had them both for about 6mons now.My Player is on constantly,24/7,I never turn them off,they always have a Disc in them even if I'm not watching.I'm going to make sure that the unit is staple & worthy

3. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

What models do I recommend? It seems that anything LG makes works quite well, I have both the LDA511 and the LGDVB418, either one does a fantastic job with xvid/divx and are upscaling models to boot. There are quite a few threads on these models here.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@zrdb Well I have to agree with U on LDA511 and the LGDVB418 being great Players.Except for the LDA511,it has a slotted front no tray,the printed surface Discs that I use had a tendency not to want to load or eject [they would just slipp & slide]had to give them a nudge to load & pull to eject.Other then that,this was a great player..Had to take it back tried 2 diff 511's.I panicked when it swallowed 2 Discs & would not eject them just slipped,I had a HELLUVA time getting them out
    I know it must have something to do with the surface of the Discs,but I'M not willing to give up my TY's or Riteks,& I like Discs U can print on
    I called the factory they could'nt explain [no way to increase the tension on the rollers]

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Well heres another Player to hit the retail Market
    Don't know anything about this unit,just seen it at CircuitCity

At:CircuitCity
    Astar DVD Player (DVX6881)AST DVX6881
    • Progressive scan
    • DivX compatible
    • Multi-format playback
    • A/V versatility

Price was:$59.00
    You save:-$11.01
    You pay:$47.99
    Mail-in rebate(s):-$10.00

Progressive-scan playback: When connected to a digital TV, this versatile slim-line DVD player delivers smooth, enhanced progressive-scan (480p) images.

DivX compatible: For your added viewing pleasure, you can play DVDs that are in the DivX format.

6. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

The price is right! Any info on the chipset?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@mhudson7..No! Like I said I don't know anything about the unit.
    But my point being Divx AVI Xvid..is starting to get a lot more attention.Retailers at a local basis are starting to carry more & more player..which is good in my opinion..my self I would rather have a Player that no matter what I shoved into it it would play..Well not a tortilla

8. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

I'm looking for MediaTek 1389 based standalones. However, one of the 1389 versions was not recommended by a review I read a while back. Wish I could find the link again!

9. wbonner

wbonner Member

I bought a DVP 642 around February 2005. In late October or early November it stopped working. Everything appears to work, except when any disk is inserted it whirs for a while, then finally displays the words NO DISC on the screen. Unfortunately the player comes with a 90 day warranty, and even with my credit card extending (doubling) the warranty, it was beyond the easy fix.

The player does not recognize any CD or DVD or burned CD or DVD anymore. I do not know if this is a physical probelm with a motor or focusing servo, or if it is a firmware problem. Phillips wanted $54 to fix / swap it out of warranty. I could buy a new one for close to $60 from other retailers, so there was no way I wanted to fix it at that price.

Any suggestions on how to make the DVP642 work again are appreciated.

I picked up a Toshiba SD-K850SU dvd player from costco for $79 to replace it. The new unit has some different features, both good and bad, but at least I am hoping that it will last more than six months.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ wbonner..As far as fixin your 642,it might be more trouble then its worth..But if U start on pg 1 here their are some possibilities,for fixin..Personaly I think the 642 really sucks..it seems most here that post give it a real short life span..but then their are a few who really like it
    All of us here would like to hear your pros & cons on your new player [Toshiba SD-K850SU].We are always looking for improvements.But what MOST OF US WANT IS A PLAYER THAT,what ever we throw at it,it will play
    My personal experience is with the AVAYON DXP1000,& the US LOGIC DP3182.So far both players have worked out just fine,they both have played anything I've put in them.The US LOGIC was a little cheaper & seems to handle QPEL,but I still run my files through nandub to remove it,so they play in any player I have or that my friends have.Nothing is more disappointing then a Disc that does'nt play

11. wbonner

wbonner Member

Re: [bold]pros & cons on your new player [Toshiba SD-K850SU][/bold]
    I'm downloading a test disk right now because I have run into some files that the player will not play, but I don't know if it is a problem reading particular DVDs, or it it it a problem with a particular format. http://www.divxtest.com/What-is-DivxTest-Where-can-I-find.html

If anyone can suggest any other test disks, I'll run through them as well.

Now to the new player in no particular order:

Pro: It's quiet. No stupid motor clicking like the DVP642 that I should have treated as a warning that it was going to fail.

Pro: The on-unit display shows useful time sort of stuff (like most DVD Players) when you are watching a regular DVD, as well as when ou are watching a DivX / XviD file. I wouldn't even think of this if I hadn't experienced the bad display of the DVP642.

Pro: The on screen display (when you hit display on the remote) displays information about the time, file playing, codec, audio codec, and more when playing a file, and some other stuff when playing a regular DVD.

Pro: It seems to play XviD fairly consistently.. I've not done a capability test yet though, so I'll check it out later with specifics.

Con: It has a blue led lit bar across the front of the unit. I like blue LEDs as much as the next person, but I don't want a set of it partially in my vision in a dark room. I've got a 55 inch widescreen TV, and I want the DVD Player to sit nearby [bold]unobtrusivly![/bold]

Pro: The remote is well layed out. Pro: The remote uses standard Toshiba codes, so I could type in one set of codes on my sony amplifier remote, and it supported the important functions on the DVD Player. (My sony doesn't have a display button for the DVD functions, so I can't put the toshiba remote away just yet)

Pro: It displays long file names, with both upper and lowercase. I've been using an older version of Roxio Easy CD Creater, and burnign the disks in ISO / Joliet Filesystem. I don't know if it deals with other file systems as well. (UDF or ISO 9660 Level 2)

Pro: It will upconvert via HDMI to 480p, 720p, or 1080i. Con: It won't do the same over component outputs, and that's all my TV supports. I'm running it in 480p.

More later, possibly with pictures of the display stuff, and solid info from the test disk.

12. Adam8756

Adam8756 Member

You guys have really made me want this player. Great feedback. Only question I have: If I want to burn a DivX .avi file to be played in this player, can I do so by just burning the .avi to a CD-R as data?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

@ Adam8756... Thats all U have to do..U can even burn them to a DVD R or RW as many as U can get on a DISC.I always put them on a RW to make sure they play alright & if I like the movie enough as a keeper.If the Quality is just soso,but still a good movie I'LL watch it.Then just put it in my list & wait for it to come out on DVD.
    I D/L a lot of Series like Rome,Sixfeet Under,etc U can get 12 Episodes on 1 DVD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2006
  14. Adam8756

Adam8756 Member

Thank you very much rick5446. Since I don't have a DVD+-R/RW drive, DivX is really my only option. I could just use Nero Burning ROM to create the data disc, no?

15. loxdox

loxdox Member

Adam you sure could, works great!

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

YA you can..BOY o boy..this is 2006 everybodies got a DVD Burner.They are cheap !! YOU'VE got to have an old computer ? Must take ages to D/L
    sorry not trying to be insulting

17. drecker

drecker Member

I have owned the Philips DVP 642/37 for a year and it plays Xvid files pretty well on a burnt CD . Now i recently got a new laptop with a NEC 6650 A DVD-RW drive. I have tried burning the Xvid/AVI files on a DVD+R and DVD-R . On both occasions i can view the burnt xvid files on the DVD+R and DVD-R on my desktop dvd rom . BUt each time i put these DVDs in my philips dvd player the dvd player rejects it and tray just opens up . I use Sonic basic software to burn the DVDs. Can any one please help me out with this problem . would be greatly appreciated.

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

U don'say what Media U use or what program U use to burn with or how U burn them [data iso] in Nero

19. loxdox

loxdox Member

drecker: read back the last couple pages. the answers you seek are there. it is a codec problem most likely and the previous posts will tell you exactly what to do.

20. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello loxdox,
    That is the only program I have been using for a long time.
    Why don't you want to buy DVD writer? They are very cheap now. I have recently bought and installed Pioneer 110 for a friend of mine (I have 108). It reads and writes everything. I have not had any problem.
    Roma