1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. theauteur

theauteur Member

I have read through the thread, and I have downloaded Auto GK and set all the settings right. I am able to go directly from a dvd to .avi to my dvp 642 brilliantly, thanks to this forum.

However, I don't want to use the same process for my non-compatible .avi files, unless I absolutely have to.......because it is very time consumming, it takes about 3 hours on my machine, and I don't want to lose quality.

Are there any settings in virtual dub or auto gk for a quick conversion?

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

theauteur..No it does'nt..only take 3 to 4 mins for most..but some can take a little longer..but not hrs..Their are a lot of answers for the 642 in this thread..U just gotta read them all from the begining
    Especialy for AVI to AVI

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2006
  3. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

@ rick5446

Thx for the insight, I'll look into it.

;-D

4. jmikeh

jmikeh Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2006
  5. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@ theauteur et al

See my post on pg. 43 (1/7/06) for re-encode info

6. cgl88

cgl88 Member

Does this player support SACD? Can someone confirm?

7. Mr2001

Mr2001 Member

8. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

What gets me is why people are still messing around with this antique when there are so many superior units out there?

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

10. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello cbrooks,

Wal-Mart always has it ($79.99). Radio Shack used to sell them, but price was higher.

Roma

11. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello theauteur,

Virtual Dub or VDM will also be helpful to convert your avi to something your player will play. You will find a lot of good info on the forum if you read it from the beginning, or read last 10 pagers to start with. I also posted images how to use VDM to do the job (page 44).

Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2006
  12. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello to all,
    Just to let everybody kmow - I believe that image.com has done some changes to the site. That is why some old images in guides might have changed to just a picture. I am fixing my guides on page 44 uploading the images to an updated site. They will be back shortly. Sorry for the imvonvenience.
    Roma

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  13. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Sorry if this has been asked earlier in this thread, but it's impossible to know since it's so damn long...

Anyway, has anyone tried playing dual- or double-layer discs loaded with .avi files on the Philips? In other words, 20 or 25 350MB TV shows, something like that. I know the player can handle dvd-video burned on dual-layer discs but I'm wondering specifically about .avi files and if the layer break will throw off its ability with these types of files. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mrchub..Why would U want to waste your money on D/L..Unless U are considering a couch-a-thon for 25 hrs or more..U gotta get up eventualy anyway..Just to damned expensive..On a regular 4.7 U can get a total of 12 episodes [Deadwood,Rome] etc..Personaly I've got to get up on episode 2 to take a leak,fix me something to drink,popcorn.YEA just a little sarcasim..But not meant to be mean..IT is definetly to to TOooo Expensive

15. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Rick5446, yeah, you have a point (and I certainly do spend too much time on the couch with my remote and a Red Tail Ale). You're right about Deadwood, etc., as my dvd shelf can attest. But what about a whole season of Lost? I'm willing to spend less than 2 bucks (what it costs now for dual-layer on sale in the US) for a single disc to put those 25 eps on. I've had good luck with Ritek DLs from newegg.com and spend about $1.75 per if I buy them at the right time.

And BTW, Deadwood is so damn good that only full backups of the real dvds will do!

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2006
  17. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

Thanks, but the issue for me really isn't really 12 vs. 14, it's a full season vs. half a season. That tool looks useful for the qpel, etc. removal, though I rarely run into that these days anyway.

So, has anyone tried a dual-layer disc loaded with .avi files on the Philips? Anyone?

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mrchub..I have'nt,but maybe somebody will respond..IF U got an R/W U could try

19. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Rick,
    That prog looks great...thanks!

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

rick5446, there's no such thing as a dual or double layer RW, unfortunately.