1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Well, personally I have never had the need to try a DL disc... even all 6 episodes of $tar War$ fit on one DVD! I'm just curious to see if it would work, that's all. mrchub, if ya don't want to chance 5 bucks or whatever, just burn yer series onto 2 DVDs... Same diff, no??
    You are the guinee pig mrchub... until someone else has the need to do it anyway... just think of it this way... you are a pioneer in your field, you'll be paving the way for many generations of DVP642 DL burners to come!! Maybe instead of saying "I am going to burn a dual layer disc"..... it'll just be... ummmmmm... something like.... "I'm going to pull a mrchubb"!! LOL! :)

Seriously, good luck and let us know what ya find out if ya do it please. Thx!

2. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@mrchub: Its going to work, so why not? Even if the 642 doesn't play it, your next generation player will. If I had a DL burner I would do it! Just think, you'll be a legend in your own time!

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mhudson7...All THAT & U don't even own a friggin burner...Well then I guess your up for story tellin..YOU'LL never guess what I just did?? I but 9 GIGS OF AVI's on one 4.7 DVD & they said it was impossible..But I found this neat little tool that allows U to do this..So now I don't need D/L Discs

4. kindlot

kindlot Member

Rick - What program? I'd like to check it out.

5. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

OK, you guys have stroked my ego enough. Now I just need to decide what to put on that sucker. Too bad none of the current TV series are finished for the year yet.

6. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Member

Hi all. The remote for my dvp642 died and I need a new one. So I went to Best Buy and bought a Philips(since it is the same company) brand universal remote. So I program the tv and vcr into it and everything is fine until I use it on the dvd player. You cannot scroll through your videos and you cannot fast forward or rewind through them while they play. You would think since it is the same company the remotes would be programmed the same, but no. I even tried to reprogram it with all of the different Philips codes, but it still did not work properly.Does anyone know of a universal remote that will work with the dvp642 without a problem?

7. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Yeah-try the one that comes with the LDA-511 player, and throw the 642 away.

8. kindlot

kindlot Member

Abe: I know it sucks but if you need to you can order the remote for $20 from Philips go to the support page http://www.support.philips.com/productSelector.html put in the dvp642/37 and on the bottom right is an Optional Accessories link you will find it there

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kindlot..I just knew U would ask...AVI ReCompress...takes about 12hrs..very poor quality

11. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@rick5446: Dont' feel too bad for me yet. I have a Plextor PX-712, but it doesn't do DL DVDs. Great burner otherwise.

@mrchub: How about all six episodes of Star Wars.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mhudson7...I'm just playin with U ..Just hope U got a sense of humor..I've been their done that...it all comes to those who wait

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2006
  13. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Member

kindlot, thanks for the message, but I just tried that and it said the remote won't be available until May. This sucks.

14. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

@mhudson7, sorry, man, but those films are backed up as dual-layer discs in all their glory. I don't have any movies as xvids or divx, only TV shows. To my eye Star Wars/LOTR/The Matrix/etc. suffer a lot as .avi files. Just my opinion.

15. kindlot

kindlot Member

Hey Abe - There is one more way although it isn't very honest. You could always pick another up from circuit city or somewhere, switched the remotes and return it. Just a thought.

16. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@AbeVigoda: My OneForAll 5650 and 7801 both work with the 642.

17. usinpa

usinpa Guest

not sure what i am doing wrong i burned xvid files to a dvd-r dvd+r dvd+rw and dvd-rw and sometimes it just keeps loading other times says no disc also have mixed playing of mpg files some do some dont any clue what i mite be doing wrong.

18. kindlot

kindlot Member

usinpa - Is the unit new? What burning program Nero?
    Burn on an RW and check it with the pc and make sure the data is on the disc. When you burn the disc make sure it is finalized.

If this is a new unit I had to return mine because it would not read RW disc's. I wrote about it in this forum 24. March 2006 @ 11:36 a couple of pages back and it will explain what happened.

19. cbrooks

cbrooks Regular member

Hey guys, I've read through the post, and kinda got lost, lol.

I (obviuosly) own the dvp642 and I have some troubles playing some .avi movie files. This whole thing is new to me and I was just wondering how u can put the proper, up-to-date codecs on it?.

Thx soo much for ur help ;-D

20. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

@cbrooks, you don't put codecs "on" the player. All you can do is make sure the firmware is up to date (and it hasn't been updated in awhile, so it's likely you have the latest if you purchased the player recently). If you have file which won't play, it's likely either the encoding (if the divx file was encoded using QPEL you're screwed) or maybe the media (I get lots of red question marks next to file names when I burn .avis onto crappy dvd-rw discs, for example). Another common problem is a weird "I've just dropped acid and those colors are bleeding all over the place." This can be fixed by hitting the system menu button during playback, then hitting it again. Why this fixes the problem is anyone's guess. Other than that you'll need to be more specific about the problems you're having, what the files are, etc. Good luck.