1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

@kindlot

What do you mean when you say "finalized"?

I don't get the advanced tab under properties because the burned file is not a recognized file. I can open/play the file if I specify Windows media player.

Is there a setting in Nero when burning AVIs to DVD?
    I already know to set to No Multisession.
    What shouyd the File system be? ISO 9660 only, ISO 9660 + Joliet, ISO 9660-1999
    What should the character set be? ISO 9660, DOS, ASCII

2. kindlot

kindlot Member

nyc_sub,

-> finalized (non multi session disk)make sure the box that asked if more files are to be added later is unchecked.

I use Nero 6.6 - I open start smart -> Nero Express -> Select Data Disc -> dump the files I want -> uncheck multi session and burn (works like a charm)

MHudson, your right a 720 will but nothing larger especially the 960x528 (and occasionally 740) people post all the time. A 960x528 is a possibility on his 606 of 24 listed above.

3. kindlot

kindlot Member

nyc_sud - also another thought do your files end in the .avi extension I know it sounds stupid but i've seen it all and your screen shots do not show an extension ;o)

4. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

@kindlot
    I don't burn multisession. I know the files are .AVI because I did a search using *.avi and the '24' episodes show up.

The replacement unit occasionally shows the menu while the unit displays 'Menu On' The left side displays 'ROOT' the right side displays 'ROOT 0'. However, the episodes are not displayed.

Could it be my dvd media? I use Verbatim DVD+R 8X

OR my burner? NEC ND-3550A 16x

What are my next steps?

5. kindlot

kindlot Member

nyc,

it could just be a stroke of bad luck and two funky units. If it was your burner or meduim the 642 would probably not read the disc at all. If it was a bad codec or too large a file size it would still show the files at the menu screen they just wouldn't play. If I understand you correctly the menu just doesn't see the files but when you check on your system they are on the disc and the disc is not multi session.

If this is correct probably the next logical step would be to actually view the file extensions by turning off your known file types and rename the files with a shorter file name and the .avi extension

I would use rw's for testing purposes that will save you some cash and eliminate cost. I know it sucks but since it has been a pair of units you can always call Philips 1-888-744-5477 they also have an online chat http://www.usasupport.philips.com/chatSubmitForm.html?ProductCode=DVP642

6. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Since you can only see the first eight letters or so of file names, it's generally better to use short names, such as 01.avi, o2.avi, etc.

Burn one episode onto a CD-RW and see if it plays.

7. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@zrdb - You talked me into it! I ordered an LG LRA516 today (half the price of Best Buy - check it out http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=LRA516). I don't think I'll be throwing away the 642, as you suggested, however.

I'll let you guys know how it compares.

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

LG LRA516 $299.00

9. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Trust me-you won't regret getting an LG player, they have the best xvid/divx playback of any player out there right now. You do know that the LRA516 is a recorder/player don't you? If all you want to do is playback you'd be better off with the LDA-511, plus it's an upscaleing player (720P, 1080I).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  10. nyc_sud

nyc_sud Member

It turns out the player is working fine. I downloaded sample avi files from divx.org and created a test data DVD. I can see the menu with the avi files.

It seems one or more of the avi episodes of 24 needed to be recoded. I used virtualdub with DIVX 5.0. Now it seems that the sound and pic are not in synch on some episodes!!!!!

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

nyc_sud...TRY XVID in V-Dub INSTEAD OF Divx seem to work better

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zrdb...THINK U meant LGA511

13. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

@zrdb - I need the time shifting more than the upconversion at this time.

14. kindlot

kindlot Member

on occasion I take a .ts HDTV files and convert them into one large mpg with HDTV2MPEG and then convert to divx with pocketdivxencoder on the home theatre setting at 199% quality. I like the technique because it takes less than 90 min from ts to dvdrw on a intel 2.6 for an hour recording and the overall the quality is really good.

Although I notice a jerk on playback from time to time it happens on the DVP642 and on the pc. It happens mostly on scenes with fast camera scans. Even though it is a decent watchable recording it is enough to keep me from archiving the file if I choose. Anyone else have a quick and good quality method to take a HDTV .ts and turn it into a DIVX for the dvp642?

15. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You're right-I meant LDA-511, heck-it's right in front of me-guess I can't read.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zrdb...SORRY BOUT DAT...chippy,chippy LG LDA511...Very nice unit,except if U try to load a Disc with a printed surface..you will see O B JUAN CAN'T READ

17. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

Got the LG LRA-516 today. Checking it out now. The only thing I don't like (so far) is the power must be on to eject a disc!

18. LondonGuy

LondonGuy Member

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I really don't want to look through a tonne of replies for this.

When I "updated" the firmware on my first DVP642, I lost the ability to play -R's, +R's played just fine, but it would not play -R's at all. Just a disc error. Not knowing how to rollback the firmware, I simply returned it for a new one at Wally World.

I've notcied that some divx/xvids just won't play. Partiiculary the encodes of Neighbours and Home & Away that are posted on Alt.Binaries.Multimedia and a few torrent sites. Then there's other divx/xvids that play but the video is all garbled and messed up. At first I thought it was 'non-standard' resoultions on movies that are like 800 or so megs, but last weeks VTV endcode of Smallville(the girl that controls glass) had the same problem.

What's up with this? Aside from re-encoding them, is there anyway around this? Is there a "fan-made" update around this?

I've also noticed it plays asx and wmv's, sort of. If it's playing a divx or mp3 right before, it will play the wmv/asx, but with no sound at all. Is it safe to assume that there's some sort of update that will let it be fully compatible with wmv files?

19. Dany22

Dany22 Member

hiya all,

first of all, i wanna say that this dvd player is awesome, i bought it at radioshack here, in Montreal, Canada for 90$ in october 2005, since then i changed it today for the same one because there was a problem with the disc tray, i was not able to open it. anyway, i hd no problem at all, plays fine all my R1 and All region discs (backups) without problem, the tv video mode is set to NTSC...now i saw on the videohelp.com website that there is a region free hack for both the DVP642/17 and DVP642/37 model...i have the second one, but i cant tell what firmware i had originally because the code 5,6,9 Ok code doesnt work for me, it doesnt show the version information..but i installed today the latest firmware, wich is 1109 (i dont care about the macrovision protection) but none of the posted codes on videohelp.com work for me (with the disc tray open of course), (the 5,6,9, Ok ; the 7,8,9,Ok,0 or even the 0,0,0,0,Ok, 0)..as i soon as i press the last digit/Ok button there is this hand icon that shows up next to the Open text but i dont see the 0 on the screen that indicates that my player is region-free...if i put a region 2 disc (original from europe), i keep getting the wrong region error..does anybody had success to set the DVP642/37 Usa player region free?? i know its not firmware related, because i had the same problem before updating...anybody has other code(s) that maybe work??

Dany24

20. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

London guy, If it won't play -Rs that your older player used to then take it back... this is a well documented "defect" on some of these players.
    For video that looks "garbled" try pressing the "system Menu" button twice while playing. :)

Dany22... Did you open the tray first?
    Here it is...

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Open the tray.
    3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
    7 8 9 OK 0
    4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
    5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy! :)