1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dany22

Dany22 Member

nevermind guys..i got it to work :)..the problem was i pressed too fast the numbers on the remote..this is why i didnt see the 0 on the screen...both the 7,8,9, Ok, 0 and the 5,6,9 Ok codes work fine...i press them slowly :)

Dany24

Yep, my tray was open all the time when i put the code

2. LondonGuy

LondonGuy Member

Thanks for the tip. It worked :). Just too bad that little trick didn't work for The Warriors, which is done in 6.x I guess. edit: it also didn't work for the season 3 batch of Family Guy that's been around for a while. Anything that's static looks perfect, but once it moves it's blocky. I guess an easy way around that would be to just re-encode them as raw mpg's and play them that way.

And something weird, both Stand By Me and Thinner had weird problems. The sound was out of wack by a good five seconds and the bottum half of the video was shifted to the side a bit. Just kinda odd seeing as they're both Steven King movies, maybe they get cursed if you download them, haha. :-D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  3. siblyn

siblyn Member

Hi fellas,
    I am sure this 'topic' is covered elsewhere in a different manner. But couldn't find the exact issue I am having. So here it goes:
    The AVI files I created with Handbrake (with AC3 soundtrack) plays perfectly well on my mac, the DVDs burnt with Toast again have no issue, plays perfectly on the computer. But, in the philips player, it leads to several audio glitches like stutter that leads to severe (2-3 second) lag between audio and video. This seems to be a playback issue and I am wondering if you guys have already troubleshot this.

Thanks,
    Siblyn

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Has anybody seen the new Philips player that replaces the 642 at Walmart? It looks to have much better specs than the 642.

5. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Syblin,

Check out your AVI file with MPeg4modifier. There is most prolly NVOPS present or there may be 3 or more consecutive BVOPs. Ti=his player will have trouble with these files. Re-encode with Dr Divx or use some of the other re-enc techniques described in this thread. I have found that the easiest and most reliable way is with DR. Divx.
    Good luck! :)

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zrdb..Hello fella why don't U give us some directions,model no.,link on the web...sumthin !!etc

7. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

DVP5140, Divx 6 "certified", 12 bit 108mhz video dac, I've seen stacks of these at several local Walmats selling for $54.99-looks to be a good deal-can't tell about performance-I don't need another xvid/divx capable player-I already have 3 of em'.

8. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Thanks zrdb.. will check it out! :)

9. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

DVP5140 hmmmm... no S vid (does have component and composite), no optical (does have analog L&R and digital coax). It's black, looks nice, looks like they may have gotten rid of that blinding big red light!! LOL!

Here's the full specs:

Picture/Display
    Aspect ratio : 4:3, 16:9
    D/A converter : 12 bit, 108 MHz
    Picture enhancement : Progressive Scan, Video upsampling, Smart Picture

Sound
    D/A converter : 24 bit, 192 kHz
    Frequency response : 30-20000 Hz
    Signal to noise ratio : 100
    Distortion and Noise (1kHz) : 85 dB
    Crosstalk (1kHz) : 100 dB
    Dynamic Range (1kHz) : 90 dB
    Sound System : Dolby Digital

Video Playback
    Playback Media : CD, CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DivX, DVD+R/+RW
    Compression formats : MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra
    Video disc playback system : NTSC, PAL

Audio Playback
    Playback Media : CD, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, WMA-CD, CD-R/RW
    Compression format : MP3, Dolby Digital, PCM, WMA
    MP3 bit rates : 32 - 256 kbps

Still Picture Playback
    Playback Media : DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD-R/RW, Picture CD, Kodak Picture CD
    Picture compression format : JPEG
    Picture enhancement : Flip photos, Rotate, Slideshow with MP3 playback, Zoom

Connectivity
    Rear Connections : Analog audio Left/Right out, Composite video (CVBS) output, Digital coaxial out, ComponentVideo out Progressive

Convenience
    Child Protection : Child Lock, Parental Control
    On-Screen Display languages : English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish

Power
    Power supply : 120V, 60Hz
    Power consumption : < 10 W
    Standby power consumption : < 0.8 W

Accessories
    Included Accessories : 2 x AAA Batteries, Audio/Video cable, Quick start guide, Remote Control, World Wide Warranty leaflet, User Manual, Product Registration Card

Dimensions
    Set Width : 435 mm
    Set Height : 37 mm
    Set Depth : 235 mm
    Packaging Width : 490 mm
    Packaging Height : 82 mm
    Packaging Depth : 320 mm

10. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Member

Hi. Anyone have a somewhat definitive list of what dvd-r's will work with the 642? I've been having problems with Memorex and I was wondering if it was just my player or not.

Also, CompUSA is having a sale on dvd-r's and I was wondering if they worked well in the 642? Thanks for any help.

11. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

I use Sony 50DMR47LS3's from Walmart... 20 bucks CAD, no problems.
    Check out this page for a great guide to media quality: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm . Read this whole guide, this is an excellent source for beginners and experts alike. Just because a disc has a good name on it, doesn't nessesarily mean it is good quality. You'll see what I mean after reading this guide. Cheers!

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  12. akc21

akc21 Member

I am interested in buying this dvd player but my main concern is the video processing. Most dvd players on the market today have 12bit/108mhz VDAC, but this one has 10bit/54mhz VDAC. This is the only thing that is holding me back from buying it. Would this be a big difference in picture quality on a 32 inch Sony CRT TV? I would be using the S-Video extension for connecting to the TV. Thanks for the help..

13. akc21

akc21 Member

The LG LDA-511 looks attractive and does play divx files, but the video processing is absolutely horrible, and the audio processing is below standard as well. Even the much cheaper philips dvp642 has better VDAC. The LDA-511 has 27mhz/10bit VDAC, as compared to Philips' 54mhz/10bit VDAC. And even the Philips dvd player is below the current standard, which is 108mhz/12bit. As for the LDA-511's audio DAC, it is 96khz/24bit, which is below the standard of 192khz/24bit (which the Philips 642 has). So if you care about video and audio quality, the Philips 642 is actually better.

14. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Might I intrest you in the DN191H, a brand new model that does everything the LDA511 does and has a 14 bit 108 mhz video dac, 194 mhz 24 bit audio dac, has a loading slot like the 511 and lists for $129.99 at BB? Sounds interesting, huh? Think I'll fost my 511 on someone and pickup one of these babies.

Last edited: May 14, 2006
  15. akc21

akc21 Member

My question still stands.. how exactly important is the difference in picture quality of a video DAC 54mhz/10bit vs. 108mhz/12bit? Mind you, this is on a 32 inch Sony CRT TV, using the S-Video extension. And is video DAC even that important when deciding on buying a dvd player? Again this applies to the 32 inch CRT through the S-Video connection. Thanks for any feedback.

16. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

I can tell you that I have my DVP642 connected to my 32 inch toshiba and the picture is very acceptable. Having been in home theatre for a good part of my life, and ISF certified, I am quite picky when it comes to video.

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

LG Progressive-Scan DVD Player with HD Upconversion
    Model: DN191H

LG Progressive-Scan DVD Player with HD Upconversion
    Model: DN191H

Watch vivid 1080i visual images with this upconversion DVD player that gives you an HDTV-compliant picture via
    an HDMI output for spectacular picture quality.

* Stumped over which features to choose? Our DVD Player Buying Guide can help.

* 14-in-2 media reader supports a wide range of memory cards, so you can display photos on your TV

* Progressive-scan video output maximizes the picture quality when used with a digital TV or monitor

Product Features

Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA, VCD, SVCD, JPEG, MPEG-4, DivX and XviD formats

14-in-2 media reader supports Secure Digital, Mini Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick DUO, Memory Stick
    PRO DUO, Microdrive and ST1 Microdrive

14-in-2 media reader also supports MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, RC MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Mobile,
    xD-Picture Card and CompactFlash

High-resolution JPEG photo playback allows you to view your photo images in their true resolution

1080i video output gives you an HDTV-compliant picture with roughly twice the resolution of progressive-scan
    DVD players via the HDMI output

Dolby Digital and DTS 2-channel audio recording; 3D surround sound

Progressive-scan component video output delivers extraordinarily colorful images to compatible TVs and virtually
    eliminates dot crawl and flicker

108MHz/14-bit audio digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion

192Hz/24-bit video digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion

DVD playback controls include chapter skip, slow motion, zoom, repeat play, auto play, resume, bookmark search,
    smooth scan and subtitle still

Outputs: 1 optical digital audio, 1 coaxial digital audio, 1 stereo audio, 1 component video, 1 S-video,
    1 composite video and 1 HDMI

Parent lock controls prevent your children from being exposed to undesirable material

Trilingual on-screen display allows you to choose from English, French and Spanish
    Standard remote included

I'll give this one a try,I bought the LG LDA-511,but had to take it back TWICE..The printed surface DVD's would hang on inserting or ejecting..This player[DN191H] seems to have all the pluses..Priced reasonable..Hopefully will go on sale soon

18. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I wonder if it can be hacked like the 511 and 418 to upscale through componet?

19. JesusC

JesusC Guest

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet with the DVP642?

-> File menu system cuts off name at 8-11 characters.

I love the player, but also like to use long file names for descriptions in my DivX files :/

TIA!

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Update on the DN191H-I got one last night and tried the 511 and 418 hacks on it-guess what-they don't work, only one that did was the information screen display. I'm gonna take it back today-It seems that even though it will upscale xvid/divx and unprotected dvds through the componet output like the 511 and 418 the better quality video dacs don't really seem to make much of a difference in pq. I'll just stick to my 418 and 511 for the time being. What I really want is an h.264 capable player.