1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty..can't tell U anything about DVP3040,but the DVP5140/37 PLAYS ALL THAT i'VE HAD TO DATE even [QPEL].tHE ONLY DRAW BACK THAT I'VE FOUND IS NO goto bttn,I would very much like to have this feature.The rewind is really to fast,the FF IS nice up to 32x.I bought mine on 5/26/06 & to date have not turned it off,I continue playing DVD's,its been a durable healthy unit
    just looked at the DVP3040,at BestBuy,it has the same remote as 5140
    If it does play QPEL then it is probably just as good a player
    Incidentely the 642 remote works on my unit
    Just no mention of the ULTRA DIVX w/the DVP3040 as w/the DVP5140/37 & about 10bucks difference..Go to best buy & take a QPEL/GMC Disc with U & see if it plays
    I just read some comparison pgs on these players,seem U are better off spending the xtra few bucks for the 5140..But if I read it right 5140 supporte QPEL but not GMC

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  2. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

bcounty, DivX = mpeg4

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty mpeg4 is the standard for all AVI-DIVX-XVID

4. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool Member

DivX & Xvid are mpeg4, but not AVI. AVI is a container format for any of a number of different codecs.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Mac_Cool..If it ain't Mpeg-4,then what is it

6. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

THANKS all just got finished reading that article
    Audio Video Interleaved

8. bcounty

bcounty Member

Thanks for the answers! Okay, then it must play mpeg-4 and the description is incorrect. So my first three questions remain:

1. The 642 only has 10 bit, 54MHz for the video. The DVP3040 (for only 50 bucks) has 12 bit, 108 MHz for the video (as well as it plays DivX 6.0). (I actually paid around 70 bucks for my 642 at the time, so $50 seems cheap.) Is it worth getting the 3040 for the increased video output? Will my DivX-burned dvds look that much better?

2. I've seen some discussion of the 5140 here, which also has 12 bit, 108 MHz for the video -- but no talk about the 3040. What does the 5140 have over the 3040, other than the Super DivX thing, which I don't think I'd ever use?

3. Do both the 5140 and the 3040 have 4x video upsampling like the 642?

You can do a comparison of all three players at the Phillips site, but it looks like it's TOTALLY INACCURATE:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...ER&fhquery=fh_secondid=DVP3040_37_US_CONSUMER

But here's the product description for the 3040 from Amazon.com -- they don't have them, but you can get them from Best Buy for $50:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G1WL32
    Product Description
    Key Features: Progressive Scan for razor-sharp and flicker free images 192kHz/24-bit audio DAC delivers high-quality audio Movies: DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX Music: CD, MP3-CD, CD-R/RW & Windows MediaTM Audio Photos: Picture CD (JPEG) Compact design Ultra-slim design Specifications: Video: D/A converter : 12bit, 108MHz Picture enhancement : Video upsampling, Progressive Scan Playback Media : CD-R/CD-RW, CD, DivX, DVD, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, Video CD/SVCD Compression formats : DivX , DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, MPEG1, MPEG2 Video disc playback system : NTSC, PAL Sound: D/A converter : 24 bit, 192 kHz Frequency response : 30-20000 Hz Signal to noise ratio : 100 Distortion and Noise (1kHz) : 85 dB Crosstalk (1kHz) : 100 dB Dynamic Range (1kHz) : 90 dB Sound System : Dolby Digital Audio Playback: Playback Media : CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, WMA-CD Compression format : Dolby Digital, WMA, MP3, PCM MP3 bit rates : 32 - 256 kbps Still Picture Playback: Playback Media : DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD-R/RW, Kodak Picture CD, Picture CD Picture compression format : JPEG Picture enhancement : Flip photos, Rotate, Slideshow, Zoom Connectivity: Rear Connections : Analog audio Left/Right out, ComponentVideo out Progressive, Composite video (CVBS) output, Digital coaxial out Convenience: Child Protection : Child Lock, Parental Control On-Screen Display languages : English, Canadian French, Mexican Spanish Power: Power supply : 120V, 60Hz Power consumption : < 10 W Standby power consumption : < 0.8 W Accessories: Included Accessories : 2 x AAA Batteries, Audio/Video cable, Remote Control, Quick start guide, World Wide Warranty leaflet, Product Registration Card, User Manual Dimensions: Set Width : 360 mm Set Height : 37 mm Set Depth : 235 mm Packaging Width : 415 mm Packaging Height : 82 mm Packaging Depth : 320 mm

Any further help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

bcounty..As stated earlier..Frm what I read & understand the DVP5140 will play Qpel,where as the 3040 won't.
    Not really a big issue unless U happen to burn a Disc without checking 1st
    in all my D/Ling I've only run into about 6or7 Qpel files.I've just never liked the fact,that U have to re-encode them.The 2or3hrs it takes is just inconvient,I'd rather just burn&play..Worth the xtra 10bucks
    Also like U STATED,you read more about the 5140 then the 3040,maybe that tell U a little sumthin.All though 5140 might have been available before the 3140,buy the 3140,use it for 3or4 mons then write us a review on it

10. bcounty

bcounty Member

rick5446 -- thanks for the post, but you still didn't answer my main questions! :)

1. The 642 only has 10 bit, 54MHz for the video. If I get a player with 12 bit, 108 MHz for the vidoe (which BOTH the 3040 and the 5140 have), will my DivX-burned dvds look that much better? Is it worth buying a new player for this? What does that mean exactly? (3 questions there!)

3. Does the 5140 have 4x video upsampling like the 642? Or even better? What does this mean exactly? (2 questions there!)

Thanks again!

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006
  12. Flynt

Flynt Guest

Hi, I may sound like a moron...but oh well.

I read on page 8 of 55 about changing the widescreen avi to 4:3 to trick the DVD player to show the A/R correctly. However, I need to know how to do this... what software? how long it takes? Is it just changing an AVI header (don't know how to do this)? I read to use dr. divx but I don't know how.

Can someone lead me to a post that shows me this? Guess I'm lazy, but I did spend some time reading this thread. I know Doug (dx9s) probably has it in here, but I can't search for individual posts on AfterDawn.

Thanks in advance.

By the way...thanks Doug and others for posting info so far.

13. akc21

akc21 Member

bcounty, I asked the same DAC question before and I got mixed answers. Most people agree that the importance of DAC greatly comes into effect during progressive mode, where the deinterlacer is twice as fast (54 vs. 108 mhz). I have heard that DAC is not so important on HD or LCD tvs, because they are digital sources, so there is no need for a converted digital-to-analog signal. In this case you should get a HDMI compatible player. I also heard that DAC becomes very important on bigger CRT TVs (larger than 32'), where you can see artifacts and pixelation more clearly, especially on divx/mpeg encoded movies. Also, remember that a dvd has a data rate ranging from 3–10 bits, which means that a 10bit DAC is sufficient. Generally speaking the higher 108 mhz means that the processing would be faster. This minimizes lag, skips, and synchronization issues. The extra 2 bits should give a slightly better resolution, but again, this is clearly apparent on larger screen TVs.

As for the video upsampling, I think it is the zoom function. This makes a digital image larger by adding pixels. However, since pixels are created by software, no matter how good the algorithms, the larger the increase in size, the softer the resulting image. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know, as I am still not exactly sure what video upsampling is. And yes, the 3040, 5140, and 5960 have 4x video upsampling (according to the Philips website). The 5960 also has video upscaling.

Also, remember that the 642 is the ONLY Philips dvd/divx player with an S-Video out. For people like me, who only have a TV with composite and S-Video outs, this is important.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  14. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Maybe so-but it doesn't change the fact that it's outdated garbage at this late date.

15. bcounty

bcounty Member

akc21 -- Thanks for the post. I only have a 27" Toshiba regular ol' tube TV (flatscreen though). Nothing fancy. So am I correct in thinking that it's not even worth the $50 to get a new player with the higher video capabilities I described, as I wouldn't see any difference on my TV? Let me know...

And thanks for the help!

16. mmurakami

mmurakami Member

I bought this DVD player off of ebay because my extremly old Toshiba died on me, and I was in dire need of a cheap DVD player that could play my extensive collection of Japanese concert DVDs...

The only thing is, is that when I turn it on, I am not able to see the video.

I'm pretty sure, after looking through every single page of this thread, that the Progressive Scan is still on from the last owner (who refuses to help me, the -bleep-).

I tried opening the tray and pressing one, but that doesn't seem to help. I can hear audio, but not see video.

Can anyone give me the stroke guide to get the progressive scan off? I've been trying to figure this out all day (really... ever since I woke up at nine this morning) and I just can't find any website that helps.

17. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

18. mmurakami

mmurakami Member

Ah, thank you so much.

... but now I have another problem... I can only watch my DVDs in black and white.

I tried going through all of the colour things and changing them, but nothing makes any difference.

Watching Malice Mizer in black and white isn't exactly the coolest thing... after all, half the reason I watch it is because of their colourful costumes.

19. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

mmurakami: What output are you using from the player... if S-vid, you may have a bad cable there (you are getting the picture info but not the colour info).
    If you're using s-vid or the composite (single yellow RCA jack), then it is possible the problem could be a standards setting on the player. NTSC-PAL: try changing them up and see what you get.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

mmurakami..Could be setup for PAL & your TV will only show it blk&wh..check yous settings