Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello zerome,

Never happened to me for over 2+ years and more than 1000 DivX files. Have you tried to burn the same file on CD-RW or CD-R? How does it look? If the file is big, you can make it smaller to fit a CD (using Virtual DUB or something like that). Good luck!

Roma

2. zerome

zerome Guest

putting my files on a cd-r or cd=rw is not an option I have way to many files to do that.

And I have tried virtual sub But as I said before on the cd-r and cd-rw, it isn't an option, to many files.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2006
  3. boczo777

boczo777 Guest

hello, i have 2 exactly same dvp642 and one is playing every movie like a champ but the other one is not playing sound in exaclty same movies from the same cd/dvd's, can anybody have any idea what happened to my player??

thank you

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

boczo777..U don't mention if its new or its old & used to work.Either way sounds like replacement time,or firmware check

5. boczo777

boczo777 Guest

i kno that teh answer for my question is somewhere on this forum but im new here so can anybody explain to me in couple simple steps how to update or modify firmware??

thank you

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

boczo777..Do a google search for what U need

7. umaa

umaa Member

I recently bought a Philiphs DVP642 DVD player from CircuitCity. It can play most of AVI movies which were burned as data files on DVD-RW, but can not play two of them so far. The picture was distorted and just stopped after playing for 2 seconds. One of them plays Ok when I hit System button twice on remote. But the other one still can not be played. Anyone know what's the problem? Is the player defective or AVI movie is not compatible with player? If it is the latter reason, how to fix it? Otherwise, maybe I should return the player. I appreciate your help very much!

8. lilricky

lilricky Member

umaa, it is impossible to tell since you didnt tell us anything about the avi file. What codec is used to encode it? Bitrate? Reminds me of my tech support days, when people would call up and say, "My pc is broken, how do I fix it?"

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

umaa..IN G-Spot if Qpel or gmc lights up.player will not play these.Ya might try running them through Nan-DUB or Virtual DUB in direct stream prosses & C if that fixes them IF NO Qpel or gmc shows up.Definetly invest in some DVD RW's to test your VIDS

10. GhStRdR2k

GhStRdR2k Member

I have a problem and I am hoping that I can find a fix for it here. I have the Philips DVP642 and I am having trouble with some of my anime divx files. I copied the avi straight from my PC to dvd no editing to the avi. The player plays it just fine the only problem is it seems like the picture is too big for my TV, which is a sony KV-27V35. It dosent resize the image to fit the screen so it cuts off the bottom of the screen and I cant read the subtitles. Is there a way to correct this or do I need to buy a new TV? Thanks

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

GhStRdR2k...Check your TV Manual..Some TV's have an adjustment on the back to resize the picture,to properly fit..Something on horizontal,vertical fit..should be a couple of holes on back of TV,,Look for a white plastic tube with a screwdriver slot inside the hole..use a mirror when adjusting..Newer TV's might have these adjustments in their
    setup menu..Hope this helps..Also if U have another Divx player check & see if it does the same thing

12. kolina04

kolina04 Member

hey all
    this is my first forum post here.

I have been an owner of the DVP 642 for about 2 months. had no problems at all. Except for a few unplayable Divx/Xvids. Now, the questions I have is a fairly simple. I just wanted to known if anyone can help me out here.

1) I burnt of the first season of The Sopranos and the picture comes up great and sound is in sync and whatnot, but the picture it's has a whole bunch of different colors. The skin of the characters in the video is blue.

2) I have read a nice bit around about the whole firmware update thing and about Macrovision and how people are downgrading to the 0531 I think it is. What is Macrovision and how would one go about downgrading and is it even workth it. I just don't know how you would go about getting the firmware to get on the DVD player.

3) Is there anyway that I can test to see if a DVD will work on it. I read a few pages back about the MPEG4Modifier/GSpot/VitualDUB programs and was wondering if there were any other things to spot. I followed Lisa's guide and I just couldn't see anything wrong with the Soprano videos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for letting me join the community.

--Colin

13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kolina04..1st off U don't say if U made the the Divx[avi] Sopranos or D/L.If U D/L frm where.It might be a case,that all U need do is run them through VirtualDub 1more time in directstream to fix..ALL MY D/L Series type AVI's come out fine
    How long U had your player?New that could also be problem,different 642's have diff problems..If ya got 1 that works it works,if not it won't
    How does it look on your PC
    Just a suggestion always use DVD RW's to start with,alway burn in DVD ROM ISO..I use multi session so I can continualy add to the Disc

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2006
  14. kolina04

kolina04 Member

I have had my player for about 2 months maybe. So it isn't that old. Also, the Sopranos was downloaded from I do believe it was Demonoid or Mininova. But I can view them fine on my comp but they come out blue on my screen on my TV.

Also, you wouldn't have a good guide for using that virtual Dub to just run it through and hope it works.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

--Colin

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kolina04...open VirtualDub...or VirtualDub Mod..Go to File...Open AVI file...Next..Go to Video...Select Direct stream copy...Check Audio,make sure its set to Direct stream copy & source audio...Now go back to File & Save as AVI..I just give it the same name & save it in a different File.This should fix it.
    But like I said,before U burn it to permenant Disc.But it on a DVD RW..I use DVD RW's Cause they are faster & U can Ad 12 Episodes to A Disc

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kolina04...open VirtualDub...or VirtualDub Mod..Go to File...Open AVI file...Next..Go to Video...Select Direct stream copy...Check Audio,make sure its set to Direct stream copy & source audio...Now go back to File & Save as AVI..I just give it the same name & save it in a different File.This should fix it.
    But like I said,before U burn it to permenant Disc.But it on a DVD RW..I use DVD RW's Cause they are faster & U can Ad 12 Episodes to A Disc

17. kolina04

kolina04 Member

I did what you said and burnt it off onto a CDRW, the file still comes out blue and I have no idea why. Tested it on my friends Dvix player which is a Diamond one and it plays just fine. What could be wrong?!?

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kolina04..Well you've halfway figured it out..there is nothing wrong with your files so it has to be your player..heres an address to upgrade your firmware & see if that helps

http://www.geocities.com/ryanxor/arquivos.htm#english
    For english users:

So, you have the DVP642/17 or DVP642/37 and need to upgrade (or downgrade, due to the
    stupid Macrovision) to 0531 version? You are lucky, because altough I´m brazilian and I
    have another model, I downloaded your firmware by mistake and had it stored in my backups

Look no further, because here it is! (or here) :)

The archive has 3 files:

* dvp642_17_fur_eng.pdf - Philips Instructions
    * dvp642_17_fus_eng.zip - Philips Firmware
    * readme.txt - A file placed by me

This software can be used to upgrade the following Philips DVD Players :

DVP630/00 DVP632/00 DVP640K/69 DVP642/17
    DVP630/02 DVP632/02 DVP640K/75 DVP642/37
    DVP630/04 DVP632/04
    DVP630/05 DVP632/05
    Don't forget to finalize your CD after burning,or your player may not reconize the disc
    If U can't find this page. PM me your E-Mail address & I'll send it to U,this particular firmware removes macrovision

If all else fails go buy a phillips DVP 5140/37 at Walmart this is an EXCELLENT,excellent Player about 50bucks

19. kolina04

kolina04 Member

I already had the newest firmware and then I downgraded to 0531. That also never helped. :(

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

kolina04...Time for a new player..find out who does Philips service work in your area..or luckily you'll have done what I do on these inexpensive players & bought the extended warranty for the xtra 30bucks..that way U get at least 3yrs for your bang