1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. stnadad

stnadad Guest

Hey Rick. Imation dvd+r 25 of them for 6 bucks

2. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I think that if you're gonna backup something important it's much better to use a name brand like Verbatim.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. C92

C92 Member

There was a time when the name brand of the media actually made a difference, but now days all media is the same... at least to my drives.
    The only unknown is wether some brand media last longer than others... seeing as how dvd's have not been around long enough to really test that, we just dont know. Be it Verbatim or Imition or any store bought DVD's they all seem the same to me. Except maybe memorex which seems to have the most disc errors for my drive.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

C92..You hit a nail their brother...Also I personally feel the DVD Burners contribute to a lot of errors,as they get older,I think the lasers get weaker,dirty,iffy, if ya catch my drift

5. C92

C92 Member

And so did you rick with that last post... Yes, i have personal experience as well that something like that does happen as they get older.

---commence start of boring personal experience story---
    There was one DVD drive that I had [and at the time i only had one which is why i didnt realize it] that I burned over 100 bad DVD's with before I realized that something was wrong.. They worked fine on my drive and in the playstation but when i tried the burnt DVD's in other DVD drives, they couldnt read them... It also happens occasionaly to me still with my and my wifes DVD drives, hers is getting older and every once and a while makes coasters. I will then burn the same image on the other DVD drive and it will work fine. Usually a reboot solves the problem for now, but i know eventually that the drive is on its last leg.
    --- end boredom ---

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

if by chance U have one of those portable air tanks YA might want to try & blow the dust out of the drive.You need a tank to get enough volume & pressure.If U Have ever taken the side off your computer after about a yr or so then ya know what I meen.Incidently while U got the side off blow if off.Shove the air hose in the fan vent on the power supply as well,on the back.Open the Disc Drives about half way.BLOW the sh#t outa everythin.This definetly helps on Longevity of all componenents.I make a practice of doing this every couple of months

7. EKnight

EKnight Member

Hello, I have signed on in order to ask a question. I too have the Philips DVP642. I love it. I have only the problem with some of the movies I want to watch having the audio and video out of sync.

I have also read about a firmware upgrade. I have been to Philips web site and looked I hyave also checked the pdf specs. I cannot find it. Is there somewhere else to get it?

I would really appreciate some info.
    Thanx

Eknight

8. C92

C92 Member

Which version on the firmware are you using... [unless its a very old one the firmware is probably not the problem].

9. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

I also have a Phillips DVP 642/37 And have a couple of problems.

Bye the way I have read about 80% of this thread and boy is it long

I own two units and one also (as mentioned in this thread)has a timer in the top right corner when you play .avi files. odd

My older one does not play some .avi files and when it does it identifies them as mpg4 the newer one identifies the files as Divx

So I was inquiring about firmware. Cant find any, Phillips does not have them and google is not helping and other links on this thread are dead. Does anyone know were these firmware files are?

10. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Ok found these. Con someone confirm they work? Thanks jefferson Ryan

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Thanks again..Jetster..U had posted this many moons ago..sure glad U got a good computer & HDD..i D/L'ed this B4 but lost it on a bd HDD...So again MANY THANKS

12. jazz20th

jazz20th Member

so this is a really noob thing to ask but. ive had my 642/37 for a year or so and only watch dvd and burned dvd's on it. the whole reason i got the thing was so i could watch divx and xvid files on it. i have no idea how to do that yet and would like to figure it out. the way ive been burning the dvd's is w/ nero 7 from either xvid or dvix format. this leads to out of sync video/audio files quite often. i also used converxtodvd and this leads to the video file stopping and restarting often. it makes it completely unenjoyable to watch my films.

now the process that ive just described is not playing a divx in my player is it? i would say no since ive converted the original dvix file to dvd. thanks so much for the help i really appreciate it, michael

13. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Jazz... simply burn those Divx or Xvid files straight to DVD or CD in Data format. When you open Nero, select Data disc type instead of Video. That's it! I can't beleieve you've had the machine for a year and have been converting all yer shiznit to DVD format... the reason for buying these machines is so we don't have to convert anymore, not to mention the wasted disc space! You should be able to get 5 or 6 movies onto one DVD (if they are the standard 700 MB size.) Good luck.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

jazz20th...Sounds like U have a bad burner..or more then likely very bad media..[possibly it could be the Player]..Quite a few reasons why U have problems..All that anyone can do is the possible RULE of Process of Elimination.Also it would not hurt to know what particular files U are having problems with..I burn a lot & have minimal problems.Also convert a lot of AVI's[DivX]to DVD.But being Frugal as I am I use a free program called VSO DivxToDVD.I have never had a problem with this program..When I do run into an AVI File that on my Divx DVD Player is out of sync & I definetly find it to time consuming to try to fix it.Its a lot easier to just use VSO DivxToDVD to just convert it to DVD.This little program has truely amazed me.With a decent Computer it does in real time 1 1/2Hr movie takes 1 1/2Hr to convert..Sometimes even quicker

15. wndrbygav

wndrbygav Member

helllo. im looking into buying one of these divx dvd players and i had a couple question if anyone could help me. first, if it says its divx compatible does that mean it will play .avi? i have many .avi files on my computer and to burn them to a dvd with nero it takes a long time. thats one of the main reason im considering getting a divx player, that and for vcds. and is it reliable for playing .avi and vcds? to burn these .avi files do you just burn a data dvd? or do you burn it a special way? and feedback would be great. thanks!

16. stnadad

stnadad Guest

I have the 5140 and i have been able to play anything that I throw ay it. I have had one problem though with one movie. When I play it it has no sound. Here are the proerties for it. Any help or ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Duration 1:31:20
    bit rate 126 kbps
    audio format mpeg layer 3
    frame rate 23/sec

17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

stnadad...I'm assuming U have sound when U play the Movie on your Computer? If So..Run the movie through NanDub,make sure under video U select DIRECTSTREAM.Then in file just select save avi,use the movie name,& save it to a different location.This should fix your problem

18. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Thats correct. With the Phillips 642 you can just burn a data cd or dvd of any avi. Most will play with out a problem and the player has its own menu to select which file you want to play.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

wndrbygav..Definety buy a DivX DVD Player..But I strongly suggest U go to Radio Shack & buy the Phillips 5140 it is a more Staple Player.
    Now depending on how often U use your Player,I would also suggest U buy the extended warranty.I payed an extra $20.00 bucks for a 3yr service plus replacement if needed.Now of course my player is on 24/7,not many people use a player as I do.I went through 2 642's in a Yr, B4 this one & Ive had this one since they 1st came out,with the most staple Playing of all my Players[4].It has proven to be quite a warrior

20. wndrbygav

wndrbygav Member

thank you both for your feedback. so if i were to get a divx player is philips brand the way to go?