1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

wndrbygav..Not really it is your preference ! Just keep in mind price. They have a multitude of Players now,& more&more are hitting the consumer market everyday.Where as a year or so ago U would have to get one through the net
    Now they have Divx Players & DVD Recorders Combos,Can't remember the site but it lists 100's of players.

2. wndrbygav

wndrbygav Member

thanks again for your help. yeah i think ive made up my mind. i think im gonna pick one up in the next couple of weeks. i'll probably look around some more and do some comparing. thank you:)

3. wndrbygav

wndrbygav Member

4. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

5. chandupos

chandupos Member

Hello there,
    I did an upgrade for my DVP642/17 from "VER0113 642/17 02 1" to "VER0531". Everything went well except that the pciture had a few lines. I assumed it was beacuse of the PAL vs NTSC and changed it back to NTSC. That did not help.
    I read somewhere that the US 642 was the same as the British 630 and hence changed the version to a DVP630, inspite of my player being a 642. After I did this, My TV does not recognise the DVD player. The DVD player is directly connected to the TV. I am unable to revert back to the 642 since I cannot see anything on the screen. The DVD player itself seems to be working fine. I reloaded the 642 v 5.31 upgrade, but the TV still does not get any signal from the DVD player? Any suggestions? Do I dump my playeR?

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

wndrbygav..I truly do not believe Lite-On is the true mfgr..I would try to find out whats inside..Do U truly need another VCR for the xtra 50bucks?

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

chandupos..I do believe the 642 is PAL,NTSC compatible,lines kinda says chipset[program] problems.
    Did U unplug the unit for a few mins before U tried reloading the 642 v 5.31...Also ya might try inserting the Disc then unplug & restart see if it will boot frm Disc

8. Michael0o

Michael0o Guest

This is the best player i have ever had.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Michael0o..If U are refering to the 642! Its a good buy for the money,providing it last a yr or more.I call any Player under 100bucks[Throw Aways]
    Hay by the by-whats the worst player U ever OWNED? MINE was an LG which is definetly a better Player.Sadly I had to return it.The picture was excellent,all the bells & whistles U could ask for[HDMI,Pan& Scan,up conversion,etc]it played any Disc I threw at it.I payed 140bucks for it a yr ago.Sadly I had to return it,as it was a front loader,no tray.It would not eject my printed surface Discs.at the time they did not have a tray loader or I would've traded.Hopefully they will correct this in the next gereration Player.I would gladly buy this player again,well worth the money for a true Couch Potato

10. Shardel

Shardel Guest

If you are looking to buy a Philips 642 you might check out
    Techbargains.com. A couple of weeks ago I picked one up for $39
    with free shipping. Every couple of months you see this particular
    model mentioned at a really good price. I also purchased a
    Philips 5960/37. I paid $70 for it at Best Buy. I think they are
    both really good units for the money.
    When I back up movies I usually do movie only to keep the definition
    as high as possible. The thing I like about the 5960 is it remembers
    the point at which you quit watching the last 5 movies that were
    played in it. Works for me because I seldom do the menu-and I often
    watch a movie in several sessions.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Shardel..very nice the way your info is short to the point.make & models
    really great

12. i8death

i8death Member

Hi! Have been using the player for a few months now and love it. However, recently tried burning AVI files w/ separate subtitle file w/ extension .SRT. The player dowesn't recognize the subtitle files at all. Is there a way to burn AVI files that have separate subtitle files so that the player recognizes them? Do I need to rename the extension of the subtitle files? Thanks.

13. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

You have to encode the subs into the video. The 642 will not read subs in a folder

14. oscarin

oscarin Member

hey i8death the philips 642 will read subtitles in SRT format if video avi. file and srt. file have both the same name and they both are located in the same directory or folder, they must have the same exact name or else it will not work, srt files with more than 140 kb wont work in philips 642, movies with more than 2 gb wont work in philips 642 with its subtitle.

15. i8death

i8death Member

Thanks for the advice jester and oscarin. My .srt files are in the same directory as the .avi files and they both have the same file name, but the DVP642 is still not picking up the subtitles. Is this a firmware issue that I need to update? If not, how do I go about encoding the subs from the .srt file into the AVI files as Jester had suggested?

Thanks

16. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

Its quite the process to transcode video but I use VSO.ConvertXToDVD adn encode them to DVD format. The process takes about an hour, just put the sub in the same folder as the video and drag the files to the program when its started.

17. oscarin

oscarin Member

hi i8death, i know what your problem is, assuming you are using the philips 642, put dvd in the player wait 'til it loads, now when you see the menu on pick the subtitle first with the subtitle button on the remote and after you did that you pick the movie you wanna watch with the ok button on the remote, follow these instructions carefully or it will not work.

18. C92

C92 Member

www.vcdhelp.com in the DVD Players section. Hundreds listed as well as what they can and cant play.

19. i8death

i8death Member

Hi oscarin,

I have the 642/37. I tried your trick but no cigars. In the menu, the subtitle files are showing up w/ question marks at the beginning of the file name. Is this a firmware issue and do I need to downgrade to ver 0531? Or do you have any other tricks that you think might work?

Thx

20. oscarin

oscarin Member

hi i8death, another trick that might work for you try this: whenever you see the ? question mark reload the disk no matter how many times, just reload until you see the cloud and then when you see it try the tricks from the previous post.