1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. wyntre

wyntre Guest

2. Thornfr

Thornfr Member

Does anyone know if it plays mkv files?

thx

Thorn

3. joelerois

joelerois Member

can some please help me with this problem,

I have the dvp642/37 and i burn a couple of avi files on different sony cdr's, now the movie itself is just as perfect as a dvd but there is no sound at all. when i play the avi files on my pc it is just fine and working. can some please tell me if there is any fix to this. The sound comes after a while when the movie is way playe a head. And there is a delay in the sound like breaks, u hear one word and then another word in a while. The firmware is also upgraded to teh latest from www.p4c.philips.com

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

4. lovefool

lovefool Member

joelerois - Please refer to my post on the same page. Try G-Spot to check your audio codec, if not compatible, use VirtualDub to re-encode. I hope this will help.

5. bartsi

bartsi Guest

i have on 630 and i have upgrade firmware for the last version...but the subtitles have one litle problem...they are white and no shadow and some times i can't see the sub...any one have the solucion fot this problem???
    thks

6. dvdcollec

dvdcollec Member

How much buffer memory does the 642/17 have?

7. dvdcollec

dvdcollec Member

To Estebins and Snaphook
    I can attest that on a Philips 727 that comes with 8MB buffer memory I have played a lot of region2 Pal/SECAm MOVIES (I own about 300 French movies issued mostly by Canal+ -all the Gabin,Belmondo,Delon,Louis de Funes...all region 2 PAL/SECAM ) and ply them without any problems on my Toshiba 56" NTSC retroprojector TV.The quality is the same whether I look at an NTSC native region 1 movie or a native region 2 Pal movie converted to NTSC for my NTSC TV.
    I am looking at the 642/17 for another apartment so I am intersted in the buffer memory because that is in my limited experience the key to smooth,jitter-free,freeze-free conversion of the video signal.
    Hope this helps

8. dvdcollec

dvdcollec Member

To Estebins and Snaphook
    I can attest that on a Philips 727 that comes with 8MB buffer memory I have played a lot of region2 Pal/SECAm MOVIES (I own about 300 French movies issued mostly by Canal+ -all the Gabin,Belmondo,Delon,Louis de Funes...all region 2 PAL/SECAM ) and play them without any problems on my Toshiba 56" NTSC retroprojector TV.The quality is the same whether I look at an NTSC native region 1 movie or a native region 2 Pal movie converted to NTSC for my NTSC TV.
    I am looking at the 642/17 for another apartment so I am intersted in the buffer memory because that is in my limited experience the key to smooth,jitter-free,freeze-free conversion of the video signal.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  9. bali

bali Member

Hi,

While playing a DivX encoded movie on my DVP642 player, the playback freezes at random intervals. The FF and Rewind keys stop working and I have to eject the CD and start from scratch to get it working again. Now, the problem doesn't disappear, but the freeze happens at a different point in the stream. I have observed upto 4 freezes during the length of a 75 min movie.

Symtomps - The sound becomes distorted (as if it is playing in fast forward mode). The video then becomes distorted and freezes after a few seconds. The FF and RW functions stop working at this point and you have eject the disc and start all over again.

DivX 5 encoded movie on a CD-R media.

Anyone having the same problem with their player ? Any help would be truly appreciated.

10. ponzan

ponzan Member

in my 642, DivX (5.x) frezzes when they are encoded at bitrates over about 1050-1100, encoding arround 1000 works the best for me

11. tdu

tdu Member

I was going to make a thread about this, but this thread seems to be the place to put general questions about the DVP642. I just bought this machine last week and so far I am very happy with it. It has played everything I have thrown at it so far. Except for one damn file! And I can't figure out why it won't play it because when I compare the movie properties to other files the machine will play they look pretty much the same.

The video and sound do 'play' but the video is a blurry, pixelated mess on screen. You can't even make it out.

encoded with 3ivx d4 4.5.1
    mpeg layer-3 audio, 48000 hz
    frame rate 23.98
    512x384

This also seems to be the only file that I can't open with Quicktime on my machine (Mac). Every other Divx/Xvid file will open. It does play fine in Mplayer though. I get a "compressor not found' error in Quicktime.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Torn Down Units - Quality Rock & Roll since 1998
    http://www.torndownunits.com[/small]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  12. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Look, no guarantees this will work, but when that happens on my machine (once in a while, not too often, usually only with Xvid), just press the "Menu" button... then press it again to exit the menu and go back to your movie. Usually, that fixes it, for me. Don't know what it does exactly, but if that doesn't work... well, mebbe someone else here can be of more use.

13. wyntre

wyntre Guest

To dvdcollec -

I have a DVD I picked up from Las Vegas a few weeks ago. It has NTSC on one side, and PAL on the other. Content is the saem on both sides. I have a 50" Philips rear projection that does not support PAL. With the DVP642 set to MULTI, I can play obth sides of the dvd without any noticable change in quality. Hope this helps.

14. tdu

tdu Member

I will give that menu tip a try and see what happens. Thanks.

15. castaban

castaban Member

I got this player shortly and read your commnets in this thread and found it very helpful. My comment is, this player works beatifully for DIVX, but I am having problems with XVID (And my understanding is, it is not officially supported). Funny thing is, so far (I have not tried a lot of files) when framerate of the XVID is 25 it works, but if I am using a file with 23.97 fps it does not (The time counter of the player starts increasing quickly and then it returns to the DISK MENU). Anybody had similar behaviour, so I am assuming I need a need firmware (I am using the latest, 531 I believe), or do I have a defective player

16. mwahal

mwahal Member

Hi all,

Just got this yesterday from fry's. I read in this forum that you can burn divx on dvd-r/+r. I'll be burning from Nero Burning Rom. What DVD type should I select ? Is it a data, ISO, UDF, etc etc ?

Thanks

Mudit

17. castaban

castaban Member

The default ISO settings for Nero will work...
    I discovered something, which I have not seen mentioned anywhere (or maybe I missed it). I was having problems with some xVID files. It turns out, the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" needs to be square, some files are using custom sizes and they don't work (Don't ask me what that is, I don't know) But there is a utility called MPEG4Modifier (from http www.moitah.net, but you need .NET framework from Microsoft), you can check it and change it if it necessary. They also say it should not use Packed Bitstream

18. tdu

tdu Member

"Look, no guarantees this will work, but when that happens on my machine (once in a while, not too often, usually only with Xvid), just press the "Menu" button... then press it again to exit the menu and go back to your movie. Usually, that fixes it, for me. Don't know what it does exactly, but if that doesn't work... well, mebbe someone else here can be of more use."

This tip worked for the file I was having problems with. It also worked with another file that was having audio synch issues when playing. I have no idea why it works, but it works. Definitely a tip to try before giving up on files that aren't playing right.

19. kinza

kinza Regular member

What is the difference between a Philips DVP642/17 and a Philips DVP642/34?

20. castaban

castaban Member

Unfortunately I don't know the difference between 17 and 32.

The problem I had with XVID was, that the counter will go wild and the movie will not play at all (Blank screen). I tried a lot of thing with those movies, inc. exchanging the unit I had, Changing them to DIvx with a 4CC changer etc. Nothing would work, then I saw a comment and square Pizel Aspect Ratios about a different player and I tried and worked. Can't imagine how happy I was as quite a few of my files would not play