1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slow comp

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mscrosity, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

leave it alone.

2. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

lol ok...comp seems good right now. still don't know why i have icons in my documents that changed. some changed that i had removed the programs but icons stayed. other changed but i didn't do anything to those. ??

3. ddp

uninstalling a program doesn't alway remove everything off the desktop & programs folder besides registry.

4. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

is it better to get rid of these icons or does it matter. and how can i get rid of them? nothing happens when i right click. then there are those that i didn't remove that look exactly the same as ones i did and they dont do anything when i click on them either.

5. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

i'm a clean freak. hate having things i don't need. lol

6. ddp

no menu shows up when you right click on 1 of those icons?

7. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

no. nothing happens. when i left click says it will search but nothing comes up. the icons changed andthey are square with a blue strip at the top. a few there i never deleted changed like that too.

8. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

just in case i'm confusing you...the only icons that changed and wont do anything when i right click are the programs i removed. plus a few that i did not remove. but other icons in my documents work fine. look for a registry cleaner now. good idea?

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Link below is for a free utility by system internals,it attach's itself to the task manager processes,it will then put a check mark beside each running process,clicking on said mark it will open a webpage & let you know just exactly what that process is & does,very handy if you get a new process & you don't know what prog started it

http://www.download.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

Setting page file to the same size as min & max stops the majority of defragmentation,otherwise you have a continually expanding & contracting area on the hdd,hence increase in fragmentation of hdd,setting pagefile to none before defraging in safe mode basicly deletes it so a proper defrag can be done,as pagefiles are not defragable.

Removing a program will stop any icons from starting it,hence it will give message "browsing blah,blah" those icons can be deleted that don't work.

Removing programs from add/remove will usually leave behind folders in the "program files" list inside Drive C:,most times it's just an empty folder & can be left there.

As for other people using the comp the best thing is to password your user account then create a non password for all other users under a limited account,or install ubuntu or some other linux distro as a dual boot or if you just want to try it out,the latest ubuntu linux distro can be installed & run inside windows,if you don't like it just delete it from add/remove,as linux is a safer option against any spy & virus issue,the other way to play with ubuntu is inside msvpc 2007,basicly installing into a virtual pc means you run xp & linux at the same time,tho your amount of ram could be an issue for multitasking efficeintly

10. mscrosity

mscrosity Member

hello :) just wanted to thank you all for helping me the other day. it is MUCH appreciated. thank you thank you... :)