1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting at the computer, I need one, what's best?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by insideout, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to get them cheaper than that :p

If you have Video Editiong on your mind, consider just a pair of 120GBs to start with and spend some more on other more immediatlye relevant parts (i.e., the HDD is for storage -- after you have processed the video -- you might want to spend money on getting a better subsystem to help encode the video faster etc). Just a thought._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Won't argue that. It's been a while since I've looked at any prices. That was a guess based on prices from about 6 months ago.

If it comes down to the third hard drive or a significant CPU/memory improvement, I'd agree.

3. shivera

shivera Guest

Just get a computer with atleast 256RAM, I perfer 512RAM, but 256 will do I suppose. Get one with atleast 2.0GHz, no less, and 80GB or more to store all your programs and wedding pics and crap. I would get a HP. I have on now and it works great. :)

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

For any video editng purposes 512MB might be a stretch... of course I never use 1GB ... so compromise :) 768MB hehe. On a more serious note, the HP systems, while nice and all, dont have what it takes to handle anything more than day to day stuff and certainly not (semi)profesional level work :)

5. vurbal

For any serious video editing I wouldn't consider anything less than 512MB RAM. Considering that I don't recommend less than 256MB for a normal Windows XP system, and video editing uses more RAM than most applications. I do a quite a bit of editing and encoding and I have 768MB RAM, which seems to work fine. I used to have 512MB, and there's a slight, but usually noticeable, difference in performance (about 5%-15% faster) with the extra memory.

The amount of memory isn't the only factor involved. The speed of the memory, CAS latency, and, at least in the case of nForce 2 boards, running in dual channel mode can all improve performance.

Oh, and I wouldn't even consider an HP. Actually, if you really want to get what you need for something like this without paying an arm and a leg I wouldn't recommend any OEM PC. Budget PCs just aren't designed for it, no matter who makes them.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I would go as far as say the absolute min for WinXp to work is 256mb!! But very true the speed of Memory is very key when doing high end graphics. I think it would be good to aim for 1Gb of 400Mhz. If that is out of reach then drop the speed down a bit, but 1Gb for high end is really needed. Especially with Windows based editing software. As for Hard drives, it is kind of point less to argue size. Get what ever and store or back up files on DVD's. Getting lots of Hard disks could be a problem, but I would leave selecting a Hard disk to the very end. The critical points are the Processor speed, the Frequency (I have seen 800MHz front side bus now) and the Ram. The Video card and Monitor then follow. The least important things are Hard disks. Best Best would be a SCSI, drive running at 10Krpm, or beter yet the 15krpm drives. As video running off those is semless. but if you have a bunch of firewire ports, you can buy 500Gb firewire drives that run close to 10Krpm. So I would leave Hard disk to the middle end of the list.

7. vurbal

If what you meant was wouldn't, I didn't say the absolute minimum to work is 256, I said it's the minimum amount I recommend. You can run it with 128 as long as you don't do very much, but XP uses a lot more memory than older versions of Windows. In my experience, it takes about 192MB-256MB of RAM in XP to get the same level of performance as 128MB in Windows 2000.

Depending on the length of the video and the codec being used, hard drives become very important. I believe HuffYUV requires something like 13GB for half an hour of capture (could be for an hour - I don't remember) so storing it on a DVD would be extremely inefficient and time consuming. Besides which, hard drives are already the slowest link in the chain and DVD is much slower.

I don't think the video card is particularly important for video editing, but I'd agree about getting a good monitor. A relatively inexpensive video card and decent monitor will perform far better than a DVD player and TV, and I can't think of any of features in the very expensive video cards that would help in video editing or encoding. The money saved could be used for more useful components.

SCSI drives are a nice thought, but for a budget system, they're pretty much out of the question. I'm not knocking the idea of using SCSI. If it's in the budget it's a great idea, but SCSI drives big enough to be very useful for video editing aren't going to be cheap.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was saying that I wouldn't recomend any thing less than 256 with WinXP. Have had a bunch of friends that needed atleast 384 for good performance. At 128 they wanted to kill the systems. SCSI is really expensive? I should have jumped on it here in Toronto. I am finding it hard to find PCI Scsi cards and most Scsi stuff in my area was cleared. You can still find Scsi Scanners for less than $50. Most placesing are becoming USB 2 as the only really option and Firewire for fast media drives.
    I do see what your seeing for Video, One program I had required at leat 40Gb free to do most editing and 20min of video was just less than 20GB. I have since deleted this program as there are a lot better ones out there.

9. vurbal

Okay, so we agree about the memory thing. ;-)