1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Guide and FAQ to making a XBOX GAME BACKUP! LOOK HERE BEFORE MAKING "How to..." THREADS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Quadratic, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

A modded xbox will have a different dashboard than the standard. If you turn it on, it should load to a dashboard (evox, avalaunch, or unleash X are the most popular). If you're not seeing this, or even seeing the standard xbox dash, then it's probably not modded.

2. Julia27

Julia27 Member

3. gooses

gooses Member

hey Quadratic. i have 2 problems, but i suspect they might be the same one... i installed linux or whatever thru Splinter Cell, as well as EvolutionX, but I still get the standard dashboard when there is no disk in the tray. why is that? also, I tried to follow your tut, but the only game that I can FTP to is Splinter Cell, and EvoX has to be running from Splinter Cell for even that to work. If you could gimme a hand here, that would be great!

4. gooses

gooses Member

nvm, i think i figured it out

5. Julia27

Julia27 Member

So, I'm reading the "how to" stuff, but still a little unsure. If I'm soft modding, do I need to still flash the XBOX (which I don't understand how to do anyway). NOw, when I soft mod, am I automatically going to have a new dashboard, or do I still need to install that and how? Do I just buy any network cable? So, I guess I need a software program called FTP. And then, also, I need software called ISO or XISO files. Is a GDF image different? Do either of those softwares come free? I need a DVD R burner right? Does anyone have a suggestion of where to get an inexpensive one? I wasn't sure if Walmart would be better than an online source.

6. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Are you able to burn computer games using the modded xbox and DVD burner?

7. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Softmods are usually installers, so when it's done you will have a flashed xbox and a new dashboard. Also, you need a [bold]Crossover Cable[/bold]. If it doesn't say crossover, it's not one.

You need a xISO software program. These are free. Just go here: http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=isotools and pick one. And yes, you will need a dvd burner. I wouldn't suggest one too cheap, but you don't need an expensive one either. I say this because you probably will want to start backing up your dvd collection as well, and you want to make sure it lasts you a good while.

I don't understand what you mean by "burn computer games." You can't play games designed for PC in your xbox, but you can burn them on your dvd burner.

8. oxide2007

oxide2007 Member

Hey, I followed the steps of the procedure, I'm using Platnuim DVD-R's normal not dual layered, and I put all of my Mech Assault game onto my computer, then used Extract-xISO to create my .ISO file, the burned it to my DVD (which was scratchless) at a 6x speed rate. Loaded it into my softmodded xbox and it sees it as an Unknown disc still... what has gone wrong?

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Try another type of media (Verbatim, Ritek, and TDK are good), and try burning at the lowest rate possible.

10. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Exactly what software should I download off the XBOX scene website to softmod my XBOX and rip DVDS and games. Thanks

11. oxide2007

oxide2007 Member

Thanks for your feedback, I tried making the xIso with Craxion and I tried burning with DVD Decrypter, I have Nero, but I'll try Nero this time maybe, thanks for the tutorial, hope it works for me, it was much needed. Now rather than buying those d-Skins that are still able to be penitrated I can simply use backups.

X_X I tried doing it with Craxion, I tried burning in Nero and DVD Decrypt, I don't know whats wrong... Tell me exactly what the name of the folder needs to be, tell me every specific detail needed to be known, because somewhere in the procedure something is going wrong.
    I tried lowering the speed of burn rate to the lowest it would go, 2.4

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  12. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Am I correct that I just need the Action Replay, Splinter Cell, crossover cable, burner, the XISO, and that's it Correct???

13. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Did you try another type of media like I suggested?

Add a memory card, and that's it.

14. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Are all the sites to download the XISO pretty much the same, or is there a site that's better? aLSO, does anyone have any preferences on where to buy the DVD burner and crossover cable? Is there a brand that's better than others? Thanks

15. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Oh, I also need an FTP or not?? Where's the best place to download IPSwitch? Will I already have the evolution x dashboard with the softmod or not?

16. FCKL

FCKL Member

quick question...i am using evolutionx and i go into the settings and unclick "start when game is put in" or whatever...but still when i put a game in it still starts up...and when im connected with cuteftp and then close the tray with the game in it, the game loads up and the connection is lost...any help???

FCKL

17. gooses

gooses Member

nvm

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  18. xMoldx

xMoldx Member

i was able to copy halo 2 to my xbox hd and i have enuff space for another game i tried to copy gta sandreas and it fit with sum extra space but when i go to the option "launch games stored on hd"(on teh evox dashboard) and i select san andreas it shows the loading screen then goes back to the dash. the same thing happened when i put the disc into the dvd drive and went to "play games from drive or w.e" i deleted sanandreas off my hd then copied another game and it launhced fine.

19. harlemkid

harlemkid Member

quick question. Do you abosutely HAVE to have a modchip to read a burnt game, because right now my xbox is only soft modded

20. gooses

gooses Member

no u do not need a modchip. softmodded is just fine. where did u get that idea from?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005