1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

English, IS english over here, and over there, its american :p

HAHA

ok i finished it. i stuck straight through the middle, encountered few enemies, after the field waves died off. and got intot he heli with about 40s to go :)

now im chasing zakayev's son

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

SO paraffin gets converted to 'Ker' in aircraft does it? Don't wish to mock, but the american language has almost as many idiosyncrasies as ours...
    Holy brown balls on the voltage, had no idea...
    Waymon - if you do get two 4870X2s, for goodness sake, buy a bigger monitor. 1920x1200 is no challenge for that combo, not even Crysis maxed out in DX10 with AA, and I'm not joking either, they pull it off with ease.

Rich: I'm not lying, I did it on medium. Just let the credits finished. I thought it came up even if you skipped them.
    Also, two 4870X2s is four 4870s, he was considering that... :p

Surely you guys have heard the expression american english? I can understand most of the things americans say, except one:
    Aluminium.
    Did nobody spot the extra I at the end?

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam what are you talking about, aluminum - that's how we say it. What extra "i" ?? And what was that bit about parafin in aircraft ????? You lost me m8.

4. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Shaff, okay, dammit, we're going to get you to that LZ.

YOU FINISHED IT! BLOODY WELL GOOD JOB! GO CHASE THAT DUDE'S SON!

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

Back in 8th grade I argued with my American teachers that they did not spell Aluminium correctly. Apparently the American dictionaries saw fit to spell it "Aluminum".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it seems, do you know until this day I thought they still spelled it the same but pronounced it differently. Well well...

8. DInc

DInc Regular member

You know what's the worst crap going on last years?
    All the "yours" instead of "you'res" and all that dumb stuff.
    But hay, if you want to look like a retard, keep on doing it...

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, what? I don't actually understand that last post.
    You won't see 'your'es or you'res' because they don't make sense. The purpose of an apostrophe is to take the place of extra letters. In the case of you're, it takes the place of a space and the letter a, short for 'you are'. So to say you ares is meaningless.

10. DInc

DInc Regular member

Pft... I was naming them as multiple(s), just like that.
    You know like "thises" and "thatses", as things but not literally those words.

I just mean, all those "yours" in stead of "you'res" and all that shit...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Dinc has a point. I see your, for you're so often, I hardly don't even wince anymore. Of course still the most common is: the tendency to spell it's, when you mean possessive. Its = possessive, it's = it is. Of course that's confusing, because you use ' for possessive everywhere else!! LOL

But here is a new one that made me stop cold in my tracks: The other day a bright guy (I have to point out however that English is his second language - he's fluent in Spanish which is more than I can say about myself) sent me back an email about his real estate service "Are success rate is 80%." Ouch!!

(But like I say, English is his second language, and I hear he does a good job. Other following emails were spelled better.)

Yeah, I never heard of aluminium - well maybe - it has a faint ring of recognition to it. I am sure that I never, ever, spelled it with that extra i. I am surprised that at one time Americans had that spelling. Interesting! Paraffin - to me that's a wax. Are you sure Sam that it is the direct link to kerosene, or just one more by-product in the distillation/cracking refining process that creates all the petroleum-derived products.

12. DInc

DInc Regular member

It's exactly aluminium in Dutch too.
    It might as well be the technically the full name.

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

aluminIum. notice the I, thats the correct (read non USA) spelling :D

why must americans be so lazy?????? honestly, leaving out "U"s and "I"s..tsk tsk.

harv, have u seen this one game. it was translated exactly form japanese to english, and the baddie at the end goes "MY CATS ARE WON!"

14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ray, I just picked up on Sam's point - you're talking about not simply two 4870 cards, but about 2 4870x2 cards - 4 gpus. Wow!! Mother of God!! What is the wattage of that combo - isn't that about 700 watts of pure pixel generation!!

No question about it, Ray, Sam is right. You're not stressing your system enough at the weak resolutions you run. I mean, come on, even with my (cough cough) 2260 3dmarks, which is about 10,000 under the rest of you guys, at least my x850xtpe with 10000 fill can push my Sony monitor at its max 1600 x 1200 on most games including EP2 which runs smooth - minimal AA and probably not max anything.

I even put up with stuttering under 20fps on the action sequences, at that resolution, with my prior weeny 9800 if you can believe it, on Half Life 2 - all because, first, I had a monitor that would run that resolution, and furthermore, I had read in more than one review, that Half Life 2 at 1600 x 1200 is a beautiful thing, which it is. Since they support 2560 x 1600, Sam is maxed out resolution-wise, with the best picture on the planet!!

Come on Ray, I remember about 9 months ago, you were debating about why even run above 800 x 600 LMAO!! But I guess that Sam finally convinced you. He said in disbelief that the jaggies would absolutely kill him, perfectionist that he is, to run that low. Similarly, I have to gasp at imagining that - a throwback to the games of 1998, like monster truck relay, and that marine flying backpack thing that microsoft put out. Even lowly I aspire to Sam's 2560 x 1600 resolution - and I won't have the horsepower for anything like that for at least a year (not to mention the bucks for the Dell.) But you, on the other hand, you have a mighty system, and you're not letting out the throttle. You have a Lamborghini which you use merely to drive leisurely on surface streets to school and back "oh yawn." (I know you're not driving yet but you get my point.)

Look, Ray, I posted, back on page 81, a couple of Episode 2 screen shots. Here's one of them, a shrunken 1600 x 1200 screen. Notice I'm getting 34fps in the picture.

...[​IMG]

I am still trying to get Sam to play through and get to that point, the end of Under the Radar. I want to see Sam shoot it at 2560 x 1600 with all the good AA and anisotropic filtering and all that other beautiful stuff he can do that I can't do. (I DO have some minimal AA going however.)

Shaff saw the pic and got excited about the Half Life 2 series, (since he is officially the only person in the world left not to have even started the series yet. lol)

Sam is right, no doubt about it, Ray, your next $500 (ebay used) upgrade should be a Dell 30" 2560x1600 dual dvi monitor, before you do anything else.

Do you agree Samuel? :p

-Rich

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

MY CATS ARE WON!

What, you mean he meant, shaff, "my cats won?"

The early Honda motorcycle manuals were written like that until all the Japanese started coming here and learning english. Well, heck the gecube - "tec cools asic also not just his" - some such almost indecipherable Taiwan Chinese translation of english.

WAIT - so it's you limies that are putting the extra i in aluminum? I thought you were saying WE used to do it. Man, "zed", "aluminium", put the steering wheel on the wrong side - why don't you just check with us first from now on?

:D

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Talking about motorcycles, I want this soo bad.

[​IMG]

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, it's refined for aviation uses, but 'paraffin lanterns' and 'kerosene lanterns' both exist and are the same thing.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hell, speak to Abuzar about an L3065. I had no idea you could get them that cheap, but seemingly he can!

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Boozer we weren't talking about motorcycles. Lamborghini is a car. :p

That is a very mean looking bike - crotch rocket as we call it! Very nice looking - I am sure dangerously fast accelaration! Dude, before you start screaming around town on that thing - check out the special motorcycle airbags they are developing now - built into the suit. There's a YouTube video somewhere. And make sure your helmet is first rate.

I love bikes, but I've had several accidents. Cars are your enemy. They don't see you. Careful, careful, careful! (Hate to sound like a weeny, but those 8 languages will condense down to "ga ga, goo goo" if you get f**ked up on the road.)

20. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam are you referring to the gorgeous bike shot boozer posted, or are you talking about the Dell monitor?