1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Ok shaff, at the risk of getting raped by LOCO, I'm going to ask, what does E-Peen mean - you're not saying like electronic peeing? If not that, I don't understand. But to get banned over it - hmmmm. Well, that's how far a little subtle British humor will get you! (If I'm off, what the hell does it mean??)

So since for sure it wasn't the old sig, my vote is Bring it Back! It had power! Yeah!

(What was the subtle British humor in it?)

I know a little about soccer and soccer strategy - helped coach unofficially one AYSO team that my buddy Miles was on - knew everybody's name and yelled at each player like crazy on the sidelines - getting the boys into position when I could see what the enemy was up to. You bet there's major strategy and team playing. We were champs, then won second level, and headed to Southern Calif level and lost. Good, 'cause the season was getting way too long - a lot of fun. Beer and chips and 8 m8s, yeah I know what you mean!!

LOL

2. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I googled it and now I know what e-peen means. Hmmmmm. Come on Loco, lighten up.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam, that's an awesome chart you made on the other thread. At the risk of a slight amount of redundancy, I'm bringing it over here it's so good. You made it from actual game data, right?

HD3870: 1.08
    8800GTX: 1.49
    9800GTX OC: 1.53
    HD4850: 1.78
    HD3870X2: 1.86
    GTX260: 2.08
    HD4870: 2.11
    GTX280: 2.28
    9800GTX OC SLI: 2.56
    HD4850CF: 2.68
    HD4870X2: 2.95+, up to 3.8
    GTX280SLI: 2.95+, up to 4.1
    HD4870CF: 2.98+, up to 3.9
    HD4870X4: 3.00+, up to 6.0

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Bro, you're crazy and hyper as hell lol!

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

no its wasnt for my sig,a nd it was DDP not LOCO that suspended me. IMO i think soph told them, but i have no proof.

yeah i liked my old sig, and no its not me in it, its a football player :D, ok for you ill bring it back :)

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HP is a much more modern monitor, versus the 3007WFP it does offer some mild image quality differences, versus the 3007WFP-HC it seems to fare similarly, and I'll be honest, I can't tell the difference between my monitor and the HC (yes, I've seen one of those in action as well.. lol)
    The 3008WFP is superior to all 30" monitors right now, but it's also the most expensive...

Ray: Do you not see our point though, unless you are spending 800 on a monitor, spending 1400 on graphics cards will be pointless, you won't see the difference!

Rich: I'm not really going to comment on the actions of moderators. Their decisions, they run the place, they have the right to make them.
    Also, there's a post edit button... use it! :)
    The chart I made is from a set of benchmarks over at thetechreport, real world testing reveals those sorts of numbers. The 'up to's are speculative, but based on more limited benchmark sets at 2560x1600 thats what the cards could achieve if used in that environment - the CPU limit kicks in around 3.00 which is why the high speed sets are bunched together.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Just letting you all know, My friend ordered the parts for his rebuild and I rebuilt it and its working fine currently.
    He got the Zotac motherboard which is surprisingly pretty good for a basic board:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500005
    And this CPU Fan:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
    I didn't use an aftermarket retention bracket but instead used some plastic hooks that hook into the board. They are pretty crappy imo but it gets the job done. Lets hope the heatsink doesn't fall off when in use.

On last notice, My friends dad hasn't learned how to turn off a computer safely. He usually hits the switch or turns off the surge protector. The new build is running fine, except for his Seagate 160GB HD which needs to be replaced along with a new 80GB he just bought for his other work computer. When will he learn?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Some people, never...

As for the lack of retention bracket, be very careful with a cooler that size. On an expensive build, cheapskating 7 dollars on a bracket when it could cost you your CPU isn't wise. I've seen what happens to coolers that aren't attached properly first hand. Thankfully I spotted it before my PC was on...

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Eh, cheap build and yea, I agree that something could go wrong but yea, with his budget he couldn't afford that $7 piece. I couldn't use the old one because it was basically impossible to get of off the old board without damaging it.

It's stupid how a high end fan doesn't come with a $7 part and instead uses cheap plastic hooks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Sam, I am sure their will be future games like Crysis - and 1920x1200 is a pretty decent resoltion isn't it? I'm sure not all of the games that come out in the future will use all 4 GPUs, so maybe 1920x1200 might give a single X2 a run for it's money? But yeah... If I was still running my old 1280x1024 monitor then I can see what you're saying...

12. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Shaff - yeah yeah - that sig is SOOO cool! Boozer loves it:

Some more boozer:
    "ya talkin to me?" LOL. Bro, keep those cheap oem monitors coming!! :)

Nice move shaff, that sig rocks!!!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

One 4870X2 gets an average of 100fps in current games, maxed out with AA at 1920x1200. It'll be a while - you may as well get one, or two normal 4870s. By the time you need more, something better might be out.
    Don't get me wrong, 1920 is a respectable res, but the power of four 4870s is so vast, it'll sit there unused for a considerable time to come unless you really turn the res up.

14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam, that chart is very helpful. I copied and pasted into one of my upgrade text files for future reference. Really nice work dude.

Yeah, Ray, Sam's point is so valid - $800 that's the number. What are you going to use all that raw horsepower for if it doesn't translate onto the screen? Sure, your upgrade that you just did at 1920x1200 is way better than what you had before at 1280x1024.

Basically what you have now is the same that I am running at 1600x1200 except in wide format (and you have 10x the 3dmarks that I have!) So yeah, sure, it's a lot better than what you were running before. But it's still for sure not up to the level of your hardware.

Think of it this way, Ray, you're only looking at half the pixels that Sam is looking at. Sam sees over 4 million pixels when he looks at his screen, and you see about 2.3 million.

"So what" somebody might say.

Well . . . twice as many pixels means . . . twice as much detail means . . . TWICE AS MUCH REALISM.

Everything that the game publishers are doing, everything that my buddy Miles does with his modeling and animating, everything that the hardware manufacturers are doing, everything that the LCD display manufacturers are doing, is to DELIVER A MORE IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE.

Besides being virtually the world leader in 3dmarks, isn't that what you want, Ray, a more immersive experience? Of course!

(Besides, boozer has to get rid of that used monitor.) :D
    -rich

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Abuzar, speaking about Shaffaaf's awesome sig, I like that pistol that you are sporting. We all should work on Hot sigs like Ray and Shaff. (In my sig I should put up a pic of naked Alyx from the gametrailers patch - that would last for all of about 10 seconds before DDP busted my butt! lol)

Anyway, your pistol sig reminds me of Revenge of Juarez - I played the demo recently. Sam says the game is state of the art graphics-wise, which is what I've heard. I'll probably buy the game on ebay after my 3850 goes in and see what all the buzz is about.

But for me the biggest kick BY FAR, was the Billy the Kid part - the horse moves his head around and all - immersive - you actually feel like you're riding a horse! Giddyup! :D

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It's actually a revolver ;) Speaking of weapons I should get around to cleaning my 9mm, but I'm so damn lazy

And yes, it would be nice to get rid of that used monitor(it's been used a few times only). I dont feel like listing it on ebay.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah so I finally cleaned my pistol.

18. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Good for you boozer. What the hell are you doing with a 9? Do you take it out for target practice? How many bullets in a clip - 12 or some such big number?

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I snuck over to that other thread you secretly started last month (because Loco said to) and practically posted an ad for that monitor for you - not sure when I'll have the money - and I definitely don't have the horsepower to drive it anyway. Estuansis should probably get it. LOL

20. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah it's a Smith and Wesson 9mm and it holds 15 bullets in the MAGAZINE lol. I'm more of a Rifle kind of guy myself(got me TWO rifle using a 7.62x39 caliber. It's almost the same as a Winchester .308 but it's better at long ranges than the .308. To give you an idea this is the same bullet used in an AK47). Anyway the Pistol is my dads and I took it to the Range on Saturday. Anyway I was really lazy and I just cleaned it today.

And BTW, thanks for posting an Ad for me. Hope someone buys it.