1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Yeah, seriously dude, point it the other way. Each clip holds 15 rounds - bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang! bang!

Damn! That's like Alyx with her inexhaustible supply! Fiddy caught 7 - but if the shooter dude had had your clip - we wouldn't be singing "Go shorty .. it's your birffday!"

Are the clips reliable? - do they ever jam with all that ammo? Must have really good springs. Have you ever just pumped out all 15 at a target as fast as you could squeeze the trigger - just for the hell of it? Come on, fess up. Surely you've done that at least once when your dad wasn't around. Lol Did you hit anything? :p

But you're mostly a rifle guy. And you use AK-47 ammo. From what I recall from Counter-Strike, the AK is POWERFUL! So is it true? Are those bullets a high-load type, you know, like a magnum? How do they compare to regular 30/30?

Oh, and if you're ever mad at me, I apologize right now, up front, you've got it all wrong bro - total misunderstanding! :D

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I'm sorry did I say .308 Winchester before. lol I meant the 7.62x39mm round is about the same as a .30-30. At a distance it has more velocity and accuracy than the .30-30.

And no I have blazed away with that pistol. They frown upon that at the range lol.

And yes the AK-47 ammo(7.62x39mm) round is QUITE powerful. More than enough to kill humans. It can take down medium to large-medium sized game. Not big game. It can still punch a hole through a thick concrete wall.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

You blazed away!! Bang! Bang! Bang! ...... 15 times! They frown on that at the range. Hahaha! Well let them frown a little. "Don't point that thing at me kid!"

That's just funny as hell to imagine you blazing away and the guys who run the range are scowling - "f**king kid think's he's wild bill hickock!"

Hahahaha! So like I say, did you shred the target? Were you pretty close? Did you get them all near the bullseye?

No all kidding aside, if you have that much fire power, and you are ever going to need to use most of them to stop some mad, drug-crazed rapist, then you have to be able to blaze away accurately, and that takes practice - screw those guys who run the range - they don't know anything about that wild neighbor of yours, named shaffaaf, I mean, dinc. LOL

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

lol

THAT WAS A TYPO!!! LOL

I meant I have NEVER blazed away. Hell dude, It's bad enough I'm one brown dude shooting alongside a bunch of rednecks. I'm freaking scared to piss them off.

P.S. I practice shooting so I can hunt better. That's why I'm a rifle kinda guy. A pistol has no place in hunting.

5. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I have to cross-pollinate this thread from that other thread just this once - estuansis put up the most gorgeous screenie I have ever laid my eyes on, and I don't care about my shots anymore. The gaming rig gets turned on for gaming Wednesday, and maybe I'll find this idyllic location:

[​IMG]
    "The combine is on the march, the portal is opening, the missile needs the codes. Screw that. I'm going to float my raft down this here stream, like Mark Twain, and that high-falutin' stuff can just all go to hell in a handbasket."

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hey, dont you DARE put this thread back on topic. Seriously this thread is so redundant by this point, this is the official "safety valve" of the PC Building forums!

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Well THAT's even funnier, a brown guy shooting alongside a bunch of rednecks. I'm telling you what dude, just go down the line to the ones on each side, and ask them if they mind if you unload the whole clip -

- tell them you have to test the gun for jamming in case you even get in a really tight spot and YOU HAVE TO UNLOAD ON A REDNECK!

No! No! Don't say that. Seriously, I swear dude, I know rednecks, and if you ask them politely they'll not only say yes, but they'll get everybody to cheer you on. It's all in the approach.

"The clip holds 15 rounds, but we've heard that it could jam, we want to see if this gun does that - do you mind motherf**ker?" LOL ....(that's it - i'm banned)

8. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

I wouldn't know On-Topic if it slapped me alongside the head!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You'd choose a GTX280 over two 4870s, even though even one 4870 beats it half the time.. A curious decision.

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Are you talking to me? I'm kinda confused.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, shaffaaf. Sorry, should have made that one clear.
    My my, what have you guys done to this thread in my absence? lol

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

yes sam i would, and no i dont believe that the 4870 beats the GTX280 in half the games. id say it beats it in a few, and comes within about 80% of the others, that is ofcourse untill you get to 2560x1600 with lots of AA and AF wehre the gap increaces. but i am not denying that two of them wont whoop it. 2 4870s will no doubt destroy it, and two 4850s were the ones i was thinking of.

the point i was making was that in a new build id go for 2 4850s (THE HIS ICEQ4 ONES :D) BUT for me upgrading, over 2 4850s id get one GTX280 as i wouldnt need to upgrade my mobo, which would cost more, and need a re-installation of the OS etc etc.

yes i can get one 4870 instead, BUT IF i have £270, id rather go with one GTX280 over it.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

£100 extra is a lot for between minus a few percent and 20% extra performance, given how cheap decent cards are today. If you don't want the faff of crossfire and play nothing but Crysis, blowing it all on a card like the 280 perhaps makes sense, but for anyone who wants to try dual graphics, the 4850s have it sewn up really, and if they don't, 4870 time. I genuinely don't think the GTX200 series is defensible at its current price.

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

see i really wanna be an ATI fanboy for this series, but realistically, id need crossifre 4850s, or one 4870. the 4850s in crossfire is what i would go for, had i a p45/x38/x48 mobo, but seeing as i have a p35, thats out of it.

next its between the £170 4870 and £270 GTX280.

yes your right its not worth a hundred, but in the games i play so far, its beating the 4870 quite a lot (at 1920x1200) but seeing as i will most likely upgrade my gfx card within a year, and i doubt anything will tax as much as crysis, the 4870 HIS ICEQ4 will be for me.

but originally, it was a thing that xfire 4850s or GTX280. and between them, IF you had a P35, wouldnt you go for the GTX280?

15. DInc

DInc Regular member

I don't see why anyone HAS to be a fanboy of anything.
    It's about if a single product works for you or not isn't it?
    I could almost call myself an nVidia-fanboy.
    But that's only because I'm more comfortable with their products.
    Since I never got any ATi-card to work.
    And that's not just about the GeCube-thing, I've had more cards.
    Still one upstairs in an even older computer that I can't control.
    It's in there with a driver, I can't get into the controls, stupid thing.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't. Let's see, at your res (maxed out, that's what these cards are for)

COD4: HD4870: 69, GTX280: 69 - no gain there
    HL2E2: HD4870: 80, GTX280: 93 - would you be able to tell the difference?
    ETQW: HD4870: 95, GTX280: 104 - see above...
    Crysis, high: HD4870: 27, GTX280: 30 - £100 worth of difference? hardly
    Crysis, VH: HD4870: 19, GTX280: 20 - even less significance
    Assassins Creed: HD4870: 42, GTX280: 37.
    GRID: HD4870: 80, GTX280: 68.

I'd say that's a reasonable cross section of current games. Would you fork out all that extra money on those results? Crysis on high at 10% better is the best the card can do. The fact of the matter is, if you run 1920x1200, the cards are too closely matched, and if you run 2560x1600, you'd be mad not to have a high end board anyway, that's basically the long and short of it. I'd have my reservations but be understanding if perhaps the GTX280 was 10-15% better in all games, but as it is, it's not worth any extra money, let alone £100.

DInc: even only a few months ago, ATI drivers were poor, no argument. Now, however, they're pretty solid, and software is no longer an excuse not to buy either competitor's products. Performance per pound, however, is.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

where are you pulling these numbers from? becuase reading reviews in the last 2 days dont agree fully with what you have said.

btu as i said, in my situation CF 4850s vs GTX280, and the GTX280 wins due to a need for the mobo upgrade, BUT i am getting a 4870 HIS ICEQ4 (my god they look sexy) lets look at it again:

[​IMG]

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  19. DInc

DInc Regular member

Ooo, well good to hear, they better keep improving stuff. :p
    It's not that I wouldn't try some of the later products.
    But I've never had a card by ATi really work, it's ridiculous. :S
    So I would be kinda hesitant to just buy anything.

20. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

that is the 4850 version, i should have said.

and its meant to be $225, so thats about £135-£140