1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I couldn't get Explorer 7 without it verifying through windows genuine advantage.

It's not a problem now anyway. My XP copy is now "legit" - sort of.

Where there's a will there's a way!!

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

you WANTED ie7?

3. WFIH

WFIH Guest

OK What's wrong with IE7 then?

I like it.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To me it just seems like ie with the features of firefox, and on quite a few occasions I've seen it be unstable and cause endless hassle. I never bothered and I'm alright!

5. WFIH

WFIH Guest

I tried Firefox. I downloaded it and tried to install it but nothing seemed to happen - nothing at all. Something else i gave up on!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bah, do you have no attention span?

7. WFIH

WFIH Guest

A daily dose of prescribed opiates doesn't help!

I did try a few times before i gave up.

8. kardson

kardson Member

Now that everyone is defending their way of cooling the card...

I never said that the stock setup was the BEST way to do it.. I just said it would get the job done if you made the proper adjustments to the card.

I think If I was going to design the card I would have at the very least made it exhaust out the back of the computer directly. Rather than rely on the case fans to do this. Not to mention the power requirements of the peltier as previously stated by someone else, but

Some people have had better success with just removing the peltier and putting some thermal paste between the 2 plates where the peltier was at. Honestly, after seeing Waymon3X6's cooling setup..The "Tide water" If I had the money I would switch to that. But I don't. And not everyone does. which was what my original statement was all about.

Regarding Vista.. Honestly man forget it. Unless your rockin a DX10 card there is no reason (and even then there are ways to get it on Win XP). If your worried about not having xp pass validation, there are ways to fix that as well. Message me and I'll reply... I'll direct you to where you can get the files needed.. but I offer no "support" in using them.

I would also check your BIOS... make sure your using one that is up-to-date... something as simple as that MIGHT fix your problem..

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed on Vista. However, I have to say I've had more than sufficient results with the Thermalright HR-03, no water cooling needed, indeed it runs games fine with my case fans on 500rpm, that's barely turning...

10. afaik

afaik Member

Ok I am new to this board, I just wanted to chime in since I have been having tons of problems with the Gecube X1950xt agp but all is well now.

I have taken this puppy apart about 20x's, litterally for various reasons raniging for moving the fans around (each fan needs to be plugged in to it's original power pins to work for some reason), removing the pelt several times and other tests.

First removing the pelt and running with no pelt is a bad idea, with just the HS and 2 fans, the thing idles at 70 and loads at 100+ before shutting down.

Installing a FC VZ9 works great. Idle at 47 and loads 60 during bioshock.

The biggest reasons for my problems I beleive was that my AGP voltage settings in the bios were set wrong. I finally selected "NORMAL" and now everything works as it should. I would crash constantly even when the load temps were fine before this change.

Also, I am running the current omega drivers.

11. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hmm, voltage settings. Never thought about that. i think mine is working like it should though... Maybe I'll see what the settings are in my BIOS.

12. kardson

kardson Member

I believe the correct voltage should be 1.5v or 0.8v
    depending on the board...

Preferably 0.8v since its a 8x agp card.

13. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I just looked, and cant seem to find it... There is an agp/pci voltage in the tab where I overclock my cpu...

14. kardson

kardson Member

Don't Mess with the AGP/PCI Frequency
    this can cause baadd things to happen. You mess with this and you start screwing with all your cards, the IDE frequency.. this is nothing to mess with.

what you are looking for on the ASUS P4P800-E motherboard is a setting called "AGP VDDQ volatage"
    Make sure it is set to 1.5v as yours doesn't support 0.8v

Since your overclocking your card.. and your watercooling, you can try 1.6v to see if that helps with overclocking at all.. I wouldn't go above that though

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Allright, will look for that. Now when you up the voltage, does that automatically up the mhz for the core and the mem?, or does it just give you more overclocking headroom to up the mhz in ATiIool?

16. kardson

kardson Member

By upping the voltage, it does NOT automatically increase the device speed. In this case the agp slot/card.

All this does is provide more power to the slot, which in turn will in some cases give you more overclocking headroom. It also increases the heat output of the device running on it, AND if you crank it to high.. WILL kill your card.

I do not recommend going over 1.6v, though some overclocking sites say 1.7v is ok... I like to be the safe side.

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Just looked, voltage is at 1.5 where it should be...

18. DInc

DInc Regular member

Man, this is a huge thread lol, I wonder who started/continued it. XD
    I haven't been here in a while, I also had problems with my Toshiba USB 2.0 drive.
    Yea, it wouldn't start anymore when I switched to an ASUS-Motherboard, not even when I switched back.
    So I just ripped the external casing open and found a Western Digital Caviar SE (Mainstream) in there and put it in my case. XD

So I should put the AGP's Voltage to 'Normal' or '1.5'?
    I'll check what it's at and maybe change it.

I was almost going to send it back today and instead buy an XFX 7950GT which got a lot of positive comments from AGP-users.
    Plus, it's like at least 50 dollars less...
    Maybe it would even out with the rest of my system too since I believe the X1950XT is newer than the 7950GT right?

It's weird, I have a feeling it would work a lot better despite it's lower specifications...

Edit:

My so-called 'OverVoltage' is at 'Normal', the only other options are '+0.1V', '+0.2V' and '+0.3V'.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  19. WFIH

WFIH Guest

My experience of this graphics card gets dafter and dafter.

Apparently owning one of these in the UK means you must also have a TV licence!?!

Ebuyer gave them my neighbours address - who doesn't have a licence - and then mailed me accusing me of using this AGP without one.

Having bought it i'll keep it - but i'm sure it's been more trouble than it's worth!

20. DInc

DInc Regular member

Well, I just switched to Omega-drivers.

Wait, first of all, when I uninstalled the Catalyst-drivers and restarted, the screen showed as if the drivers were still installed.
    So it wasn't in the wrong size and it was at a good frequency, just like before.
    So they might not be uninstalled "good enough" which may interfere with the Omega drivers I have a problem with which I will describe later.
    But the thing is, there's nothing left to uninstall.

I've had this before, and also in some cases when I started a game, it would look like as if the driver were not installed.
    So the size was wrong and the frequency would drop down to like 59Hz instead of my usual 85Hz.

The drivers or card are just instable man, it's messed up.

So, the Omega-drivers don't work either.
    First problem I saw was that the 'ATI 3D Control Panel'-icon on the Desktop doesn't do anything, it will just search for it's application.
    Nothing happens when I click on the ATi Tray Tool in the tray, but I don't know if that's the meaning(?).
    Besides that, no game will start, and 3Dmark06 will just tell me there's some kind of internal driver problem.

I'll try to (un)install some things again, but the software is sure being a b*tch.
    I can't wait to try the XFX with some nice ForceWare... :p