1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey Travis, I posted the pictures at the same time as you were posting. But I checked just now, and my ATI Overdrive 3 is grayed out - maybe not supported on my version of catalyst for x850 card. -rich

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It must have been up to 3 Ghz on air then. I guess thats pushing the limits of air cooling though. You know what I want to do? Put a friggin mini AC in my case lol.

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

abuzar,

You're right. A/C the case. From page 26:

Here's a review:
    air-conditioned computer case

And here is a composite picture:

....[​IMG]
    lol rich

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Is that a REAL AC? With freon and everything?

5. kardson

kardson Member

harvrdguy,

Your card might not support it... Or since ATI Hotkey Poller is disabled.. it may auto grey it out. Im not sure.

Honestly instead of using the autooverclocking ability.. I would use the Game Profiles. It doesn't rely on telling if the apps is 3d or not, just what EXE you run.

Much more reliable way to do it... but more cumbersome as you have to set a profile up for each game.

6. kardson

kardson Member

lol abuzar1,

No. Its basically a Peltier Cooler like the one found on the X1950 xtx we have all been talking about.

It blows the hot air out the bottom of the case and the cool air through the case. :)

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Wow, that case looks pretty cool.

For anyone who wants to know, the new omega drivers are out, and I just downloaded them but didnt get to install them yet. I think I'll run 3Dmark06 with the old ones, and then run it with the new ones to see if the newer version does make a difference.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

The aircon doesn't seem to make much of a difference. After market thermoelectric cooling would probably be of better performance.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 38dB fan? Eeewwww!

10. kardson

kardson Member

Sweet Waymon3X6 been waiting on those drivers!

Time to ditch the default ATI drivers once again :)

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

kardson
    waymon3x6

Hey Travis wait a second!

You can't switch to the omega yet, Travis, until you and Ray have your BF2 matchup to see if the framerates are going to actually be any better with the omega, right?

So yeah, Ray, once you get the new drivers hooked up, you should AIM Travis and get on the same server some weekend, right? You gave us your aim handle, Ray, a while back. Travis, maybe you should drop a private message to Ray to get hooked up.

LET THE MATCHUP BEGIN!!

(If omega doesn't win, I'll stick with ATI and not bother =)

12. kardson

kardson Member

You can contact me on GameSpy Comrade.
    Username Kardson

13. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I just sent kardson an email, and we'll play sometime on saturday. Still hasnt gotten back to me yet, but thats when I think we'll both be able to play.

Btw, should I update to the newest omega drivers?

14. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

IMO yeah, Ray. That way we'll know if the newest omega drivers rule - but since it's already thursday, maybe you should do it right away so you can work the bugs out before you guys matchup on saturday, if travis gets back to you.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Btw, when you talk with travis, ask him how his little daughter's broken leg is doing - I hope it's a lot better :)

16. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

waymon
    kardson
    abuzar
    sammorris
    dinc

Man, I did a full fledge multi-hour session on my gaming computer, and my case is so well ventilated, and my x850xtpe gpu is running so cool, I can't believe it. It always ran in the 90s, then I got it down to the 80s, and now my case is so cool, it maxed at 72 and stayed there the whole time. No screen jitters, no stalls, and no crashes. The default fan settings before were 14% all the time, 18% at 86, I think, then 100% at 94. (Ati factory defaults were letting it heat up to 94 before they ramped up the fan - can you believe that!)

Now thanks to everybody's great advice:

I have the kama bay taking up 3 5.25" slots in the front, with a 1600 rpm 120mm scythe fan. The other intake fan is the cpu fan - I think it's 100mm - pulls pretty hard - and I have that ducted to the side case cover round hole with the sunbeam overclocking kit - so it is totally isolated from case heat.

So that is two intakes, both with dust filters. I have four vent fans. 1. The psu has an inlet fan and an exhaust fan which used to be the only strong exhaust fan. 2. I replaced the weak 80mm back case fan, which was only running 1200 rpm, with a 2.5amp that blows hard 3. the lower rectangular opening now has the 120mm 800 rpm scythe that came with the kama bay, and 4. I installed the blitztorm pci slot fan with turbine, which includes a secondary regular fan blowing up at an angle on the graphics card. I normally leave the blitztorm turned off, which runs it at low rpms, but you can really feel it blow (and you can hear it) turned all the way up.

So ventilation-wise I am ready for the x1950 gecube. I hope I have enough watts left. I have an Allied 500 watt supply, but I figure that with the additional fans, I have probably added 100 watts (Edit 10 watts) of additional fan draw from how it was before. I showed my PC Trade buddy, Mo, and he said "I just hope you don't run out of power with all those extra fans." EDIT: I was off by a power of 10 - for example the powerful 80mm case fan I installed which really blows hard, is using .25 amps, whereas my memory told me 2.5 amps. With the true amperage at only .25, power usage is .25 amps x 12 volts equals 3 watts. That's all! Duh! So, like kardson told me a long time ago - fans don't use much power. I have probably only added about 10 watts of power usage with these extra fans! What the heck was Mo blabbing about!

Btw, for those of you who play Day of Defeat, and who don't like getting murdered regularly by the Axis side on Avalanche (the map where the Axis jump out of the window to get the Allied flag #1 and win the round) I have discovered the secret to allied dominance! We had about 12 guys on each team, and I was on a server that kept playing that map. We lost to the nazis 13 times in a row. I had decided that the reason was we couldn't control the house, so the little b**stards were shooting us from the window over our first flag and jumping down to take the round, toward the end, wiping us out in 30 seconds. It was humiliating! But working on the house didn't really help. Finally I decided to go through the first house and jump out the window whenever I re-spawned after we were down to just that last flag. I jumped down and recapped the flag, and set up a BAR on the ground partially behind the sand bags to try to cover the courtyard. That worked! I was just trying to stall the inevitable quick nazi victory, but astonishingly, they didn't get the courtyard. Then more buddies came up and we had all kinds of firepower on the ground covering that courtyard. Finally I advanced up and somebody else joined me, and we got that middle flag! And then we won! We proceeded to win 9 of the next 10 rounds, losing only when I tried something else beside a strong BAR defense of our flag #2. I think I like avalanche now! :) -rich

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  17. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey Kardson

I just got promoted to Member. (thank you in advance everybody for your congratulations :) I remember, Travis, when we both lost newbie status at the same time about a month ago, then your daughter got hurt (how's she doing - I hope better!) and now you're a few posts behind!

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well congrats on the member status! Anyways, we Travis and I are going to play on Saturday at 6pm EST (not sure what server yet, I'll keep emailing). So we'll probably have the results by next week...

19. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Thank you senior member Ray. Let the matchup begin!

20. kardson

kardson Member

Grats on the Member status.

Our plan is to play BF2 this weekend to final up the score and seem who reigns.

As for my daughter, she's doing fine. Starting to learn how to walk with the cast.

Should be off in like 2 weeks (toddlers heal fast)