1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey thanks, Trav.

Oh, she's a little toddler, poor kid. What, like around 3 or 4? I'm glad she's healing fast. You guys must of been upset!

The matchup is finally gonna happen!! Yea!!

2. kardson

kardson Member

3. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Awww, that's little! You bet, grumpy. I don't blame her. She hasn't even been walking all that long. So did all the kids draw cool pictures on her cast?

4. kardson

kardson Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Harvrdguy: Please be aware that when you add the X1950XT there's a high chance of all your components being fried by that Allied power supply. Get rid of it and get something of higher quality.

6. kardson

kardson Member

I should mention that the FPS dips of 0 were because I was not In game.. not because my card was at 0fps

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How did you produce those graphs? I'm interested.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

its a function in ati tray tools. i will try to get something like that up here in a little bit, but probably not today. kardson, what were the avg fps? i cant really tell with that graph... Can you do something simular for the Crysis beta? Thanks.

Also, why are your env. temps so high? You're still using the Tec cooler correct?

EDIT; btw kardson, how long did you play for?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  9. kardson

kardson Member

The Graph was made by Ati Tray Tools

Go to the options and under the HARDWARE --> Monitoring Graphs
    you'll be able to monitor different things on the same or seperate graphs...

Then start your game up and play for a while.

10. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

sam

What symptoms will I suffer if I turn out to be underpowered with the Allied 500watt psu - (gecube minimum says 450, and a newegg reviewer said his 460 Antec was running it fine.)

You say "fried" - will I suffer crashes, blue screens, or will my computer just die?

In other words, can I give it a try first? Or would that be like "trying" to mix a little nitroglycerine in with my petrol to see if my car develops more horsepower? :)

11. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Nice graph - looks like a minimum of about 30 fps, with average of about 40-50. Why did you turn off AA? Does even minimal AA like 2x, or 4x, have that much of an effect? (I thought 4x AA didn't take too much horsepower.)

12. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well for me it does. I tried a singleplayer 16 map, fushee pass, with AA on all the way (I think its 8x, or maybe 6x, I forget), and I got around 20fps. Usually its a lot lower than that, like in the teens.

Regarding the PSU, I think sam is just worried because its an Allied PSU, and I havent ever heard of that brand before, so I think he worried that its not putting the watts out that it says it does. Most "other brand" PSUs put out less than what they're rated for.

kardson

Also, why are your env. temps so high? You're still using the Tec cooler, correct?

btw, how long did you play for?

Also, can you do something like this for the Crysis beta?

Thanks

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Harvrdguy: It's not the wattage, it's the brand. Allied isn't exactly a well known PSU brand, and it has appeared in a few 'do not buy from' lists I've seen. Essentially, cheap power supplies can never deliver the amount of power as written on the label, not that some won't work, but that not a single one will, due to the fact that the components inside are so cheap they will only work up to 200W before melting, shorting or just failing.
    When you exceed the natural limit of a good power supply, it will shut down. When you exceed the natural limit of a cheap power supply, what I mentioned above happens. If you're fortunate, the PSU will be destroyed but nothing else. If you're not fortunate, a huge amount of current gets sent through your components, damaging several of them. When it happened to me with a 450W Qtec, I lost a hard disk (and of course its data), a stick of RAM and a floppy drive, the latter of which started to catch fire. if left on when you're out, a cheap PSU could in fact burn down your house.
    If you 'give it a try first' you may very well regret it.

14. kardson

kardson Member

It was about a 30minute session from that big dip to 0fps to the end.

I don't have the pactience to do the same for crysis, but I will say I was getting mid teens to low 20's FPS in crysis on LOW settings and 1440x900 resolution. There were dips to single digits making the gameplay unenjoyable.

15. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

What lower resolutions do you support - I wonder how bad it would look to scale down, like 1000 x 625 or some such, which would be about half the pixels - should help a lot on framerates I would guess, maybe 20 to 30 - much more playable.

I just wonder how much of an effect that would have on the look of the game? How about taking some screen shots of your current 1440 x 900, and then screens at half the pixels.

16. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Sam, you've got a future in the insurance business!

Wow, giving it a try doesn't sound like such a good idea any more. What power supplies do you recommend?

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ok, I just played with kardson in bf2 for a short time, maybe 10-15 minutes, and it seams that he is getting about the same frames as me. Which was kinda odd since I have the omega drivers and was expecting an increase. He got around 70+ fps, while I got about the same.

heres a graph at the end of the game:

[​IMG]

As you can see BF2 uses up all of the x1950xt's vram, which isnt real good. I'm sure if there was more, maybe 512mb we would have way better fps as well.

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Oh man thats a small pic, I'll try to get it inlarged in a minute....

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, 1440x900 is a low resolution to find a game unplayable at, the lowest I've had to go down to in order to get decent frame rates is 1680x1050, if you can't even get good performance at 1440x900, I'd say it's to do with running out of VRAM.

Harvrdguy: I recommend the OCZ Stealthxstream 600W and the Corsair HX 520W PSUs, they're well built, offer solid performance and the latter is incredibly quiet.

20. kardson

kardson Member

Correction - My FPS hovered around 80 more than 70.

With Peaks to 93

so average was mid 80s with lows in mid 70s and highs in low 90s