1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Anyway I just checked and it seems only the wolfdales are coming out in January, but the yorkfields are March now. Also they have a measly 7.5x multi. You would need some fast RAM to OC it as much as the Q6600.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

400FSB for 3GHz, so PC6400 for 3Ghz, PC8500 should still suffice for 4Ghz right though?

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

My pc-6400 can manage 3.8 ghz, so it would be 3.52 ghz on the Q9300. Trade offs, Trade offs.

While the Dual Core wolfdales have a 9.5x multi!

EDIT: On my RAM that's 4.5 Ghz! I'm still not gonna get a dual core for my new build though, I believe the time for Quad Cores has finally come.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, but I'd still only put on in my PC for futureproofing purposes. Nothing yet has made me go "I wish I had a quad core CPU" - eventually that'll change, but it hasn't yet.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Crysis seems to use more than 2 cores. I believe many games will be based off from that now. The time that you will see quad core programs is near. Think of it as a watershed moment, when things wont trickle through, but many programs will announce support at the same time.

Plus it sounds more impressive and I have to make sure that my computers sell.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I still don't see why you don't just keep a PC of your own, separate from ones you sell, you must have made enough money for that to be possible now. You can use additional money you make to perpetually upgrade your own system. It's far less hassle that way, at least that's the way I'd do it (if I could, if there was a market!)

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Because I haven't made enough profit yet for that. Right now I've sold several PC parts and one whole PC. This new one is about to go soon hopefully.

I'm not doing this to make money per-se. Each time I make a little bit more money I put it towards the new PC. So slowly I'm upgrading to the point where I have a quad core crossfire machine. Similar to Rays, except with a "real" case(lol I mean a full tower), no watercooling, and 2-3 gigs of PC-8500 ram.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like a real man's crossfire build lol.
    Well, best of luck with that endeavour, hope you've got a decent enough monitor to make good use of it!

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Haha yeah I'm still on the 17inch CRT. It's decent enough for now.

I have a question. Do you have to mess around with stretching the image and centering it on LCDs? Is there an easy way to do it on CRTs? I still haven't gotten it just right. When i increase the resolution in a game it gets all screwy and it doesn't use the whole screen.

10. MaccerM

MaccerM Regular member

Pretty much all TFTs will have an auto-scale that will re-adjust the picture to fill the screen at each different resolution you select, so no stretch or positioning, it'll do it within a second or two at each res change.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Abuzar: Unfortunately the downside of CRTs being analog is that there's no way of getting the image perfect, you just have to play around with it. LCDs fit the picture exactly right all by themselves, so you don't have to worry about it.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Oh well. I'll get a LCD monitor soon hopefully. Till then I DO have an HDMI port in my video card. I suppose I could use my PS3s HDMI cable and play Crysis on my 65inch LCD tv in 1080p glory lol.

You know I honestly don't see that much difference in regular DVDs and Blurays.

EDIT: How is this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005096

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  13. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I prefer the Dell LCD monitors mainly because the have a USB hub and many inputs on them like VGA, DVI, SVIDEO, Compsite, 4USB and the quality of it is amazing.

14. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I want that antec 1200!!!! Either that or a Antec P182, the silver kind. (With a mod for a window of course!)

Twelve-Hunder pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hear it will be out soon. Unfortunately I will have to buy more coolant and tubing as I am out of tubing and have about .5 liter of coolant left...

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Why? It looks kinda Ugly. Try these instead:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IF you want something flashy and gamingish looking, this is what I have.

[​IMG]

16. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Ahh, I was considering a Cosmos, but I dont like the outer look - it's not a "flashy gamer" look. The Thermaltake is more like it, but I dont want the Watercooling to come with it as I wont be using that, and that just adds onto the price. I also am not sure how things will fit inside of it. I was looking at the Kandof, or maybe a Lian Li V2000, although thats not that flashy either.

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

It doesn't come with water cooling. You can buy a special edition that does but the regular one doesn't.

18. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Kardson popped back!

Hey Travis, I thought you were going to get that mobo that would take your gecube along and allow you to upgrade your cpu to one of the core twos. Now, instead, you're getting a whole new rig, and saving the gecube rig for your 4 year old son. (What about your 3 year old daughter - doesn't she get a computer?) Was it the announcement about the 3850/3870 family that did it?

Anyway, you'll soon be pushing 10000 3dmarks like most of these guys I guess - you say you can't wait - so when is all this going to happen?

Rich

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Crysis at 1920x1080? Good luck with that on an HD3850 mate, it'll be Low detail mode for you!
    That LG monitor's alright, but people rave these
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

Waymon: Antec fanboy is as Antec fanboy does eh?
    I look at it, and while I'd prefer a full tower version of the 900, I'm not so sure that takes my fancy, it just doesn't really look nice to me.
    The Cosmos case is relatively slick, but also not to my taste.
    The Armor looks ugly in that photo - primarily I think because of the unnecessary cold cathode at the back, but nonetheless that picture puts me off the case after realising what it actually looks like, rather than CGI.

My two cents on cases:
    If I were rich (but then again the 1200 won't be cheap) I'd be looking for one of these:
    http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8158/cs831cyberpowerlh1.jpg
    http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2854/cs831frontflashgx1.jpg
    http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2569/cs831sideoffms2.jpg

Photos are poor quality because they're effectively spyshots of CES - proper images will hopefully be available when the case ships - for it's huge P190-style price tag... :(

20. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Damn sam, I think you found my next case! That thing is freakin awsome! What kind of a case is it??? I see the Cyberpower badge on it, so maybe its a prebuilt custom case?? That is more like it!

EDIT: Nvm, it is a NZXT CS831, around the $400 price mark, and is suppose to ship Q1 2008... so soon!

Anyways, I've been following a guy by the name of "maxishine" on youtube for a little over a year now, and he has the SICKEST pcs you will ever see. He just recently put up a video on youtube in which he bought 3 8800Ultras, and coupled them with the new 780i board from ASUS. This thing f*cking screams! I must say that although he currently only has part 1 of the series on there now, he will have Crysis benches, 3DMark06, and a lot of other crap! Here's his link: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=maxishine

He inspired me to put building series videos of my pc on youtube as well, but his pc far exceeds anything I have ever even seen.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008