1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Card Thread (Mostly Gecube x1950xt)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Waymon3X6, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Anyways I found a few thing that I thought were pretty interesting... The 9800GX2 appears to be delayed according to here:

http://phyxion.net/hardware/news/9600gt-recalled-9800x2-delayed.html

And it appears that Intel, AMD/ATi and nVidia could form a "Gaming Alliance" according to this article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_8238036

I dont think it'll happen, do you guys think the same? Also I remember reading on another forum a while back that the 9800GX2 actully does worse than the 8800GTS 640!!! Looks like ATi will have the lead with their 3870x2 for a while...

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Haha, Intel and AMD together, ATI and Nvidia together. I doubt it.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nehalem is going to have a GPU built in the CPU so it may be that Intel might be working with ATI for that.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

5. DInc

DInc Regular member

Lol, I know, I've been getting notifications ever since I posted here like a half year ago or whatever longazz time it was. :p

And by the way, they have that many cards to have a slightly different one every time.
    So that every customer can find one that fits their needs.
    Of course they can keep selling that, but I think it's both not needed and also nice that you have a choice.
    But then, there were already lower- or slightly above -end GeForce 8's and high-end GeForce 8's.
    This one might be more in between, I don't know.

*Looks*

Myea, like I thought, it's like a budget-version of the 8800GT.
    Which would be nice if you can't afford the GT, interesting.
    It's really similar, only all the details are a bit lower:
    http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=544&card2=551

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

NVM, turns out it doesn't even beat out the 3850 512MB.

7. harvrdguy

harvrdguy Regular member

Hey dudes,

(Yeah Dinc we live in this forum. Where do you live? :)

The 3850 AGP is out!!

saphire 3850 agp

I have decided to sell my truck, and fix my Jag and start working with buyers since it's a ferocious buyer's market (for houses) here in Cali (Orange County - South. Calif.). So as soon as I get a good figure (do any of the local yokals know I mean price??) then it's off to Newegg to pick up 2000 3dmark6 points and shader 4.1 !!

Hooray!!! (Best of all I don't have to go through all that pain of making the gecube work, changing my psu, etc. etc. - and all of you guys who got the gecube chucked it anyway as soon as the 3000 series hit!) Of course I won't be over 10,000 3dmarks like ya'll (that's how we say it in Texas) - but I bet I'll be at least in the 4000-5000 range, up from 2260 :)

(I know, MaccerM, Mike, and probably also Abuzar, who is not an Arab - Persian by chance?) will say "Bad investment - your measly 3.2 P4 will be the bottleneck" but we've been through that before - $200 lousy bucks, slide it in, and finally that stupid Medal of Honor Airborne demo is not going to say: CARD NOT SUPPORTED. Right, Sam?

- Rich

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

harvrdguy, long time no see (or talk, whatever!)

You're running XP right? I stumbled across an article in another forum on how Vista does not support the 3850 AGP card. Kinda weird since the DX10 part of the card is useless in that situation, but anyways heres the article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/16/3850-agp-supported-vista

Now I'm off to find some benches on this card.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nope not Persian either, keep guessing :)

Hey it's only 200, if it's gonna help you play games, go for it.

10. papola

papola Member

Exactly my point. But that is how we feel. Just because we are Americans people classify us as dumb. That statement was not directed at you either. If I wanted to insult you I would of made it more accurate. It is coming to be a more popular stereotype nowadays.

By saying "It Is America after all." Is really insulting. I know what you were thinking when you said that. It is stereotyping. After all, if that were true, we are the land of the immigrants(if you get what I am saying here) :) That would be like saying Italians are dumb,Africans are dumb, Hispanics are dumb, even your people are dumb etc.. Some of them may be dropouts, but then why would they be looking through an ad? :p Further adding to that point, if they were looking for an ad for a PC, they obviously know what they are looking for, otherwise they would go to a Bestbuy and whatever to buy a PC. PCs are getting more and more pricey nowadays. :)

It's all good...and I know this went way off topic, but it is a public forum and I will defend my country anywhere(as patriotic and corny as that sounds). :D

P.S and I am not someone that usually does that,but the whole intelligence and America bit really pisses me off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic.

Personally If you can afford to buy a GS but not a GT, I would save up until I can buy the GT. A GS 384MB with core clock of 680MHZ sells for $170. Also a lot of reviewers say that the fan on the card is very loud. A GT 512 600MHZ goes for $230. Even though its a $60 difference I think most will agree that it is worth the wait. Plus as time goes by, the prices drop. I still have my Radeon x1600PRO card that was about $220 back in 2005, Now it's $109.

I have never tried a Nvidia card, and I hear so much good things about them. Next system build I do,(which will be soon) I am definitely going with a Ndvidia GPU. I have noticed that ATI drivers aren't the best, maybe it is just my card, but I am still using the drivers that came with the card. All the other drivers crash my system after an extended period of time using them.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

US Navy FTW!

Guess what, I just put up the ad in my Masjid, so it's mostly gonne be immigrants looking at it. Rich, but frugal, immigrants mind you.

12. DInc

DInc Regular member

I'm a wanderer around all kinds of forums lately. XD
    My computer sits in Holland here though...

But I pretty much revived your home then. :p
    I came in here one day, finding the original X1950XT-thread.
    Posted some questions, more and more people came in, and now many months later it's still going. XD

At the same time, I'm still working on compiling an affordable PC.
    Still partly thinking about upgrades for this computer.
    But I think it's kinda futile and a waste of money to do.
    I might just invest in a computer for the long run, I don't know.
    Money... pft...

13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHA..... you think people from the masjid would buy it?

btw to ppl that dont know, masjid is urdu for mosque

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Bro, both my Parents are Doctors, what does that tell you about the kind of people at the Masjid. We have lots of Rich and lots of Upper Middle Class people. They are still Muslim though, so they will save every penny they can.

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I get 11k on the 3850.

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, but the AGP version runs at 8x bandwith, and that guy ran it with a P4 @ 3.8Ghz.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No hype? The complete opposite of nvidia usually... I did spot the 8800GS appear a few weeks back, I didn't feel it worth mentioning really, given that it's more than an HD3850, I'm not entirely convinced it'll be as fast, but who knows. Nobody's bought one, or even heard of one, so we've 'guinea pig' to test it.
    Ah, I see Abuzar confirmed my suspicions. To be fair though, it needs comparing to the HD3850 256MB since that's what else is available at it's price point, not that either are far from the 512MB HD3850.
    As for the HD3850 AGP, you obviously have my good luck wishes, let's just hope that it's significantly better than the last high speed AGP effort. Personally, I'm not envisaging a remotely trouble-free experience, considering how hard it's been to even get the PCI express version of the card working with XP.
    Papola: The recent ATI drivers are abysmal, nvidia's were never good either, but I doubt they're that bad. This said though, the 3870 could potentially be one of the last cards ATi ever makes as AMD seem to have almost given up on them. I can only hope if they get taken over by someone like IBM the company is revised. If AMD is solo, or is bought out by nvidia, it's the end for ATi. Remember how nvidia works as a company (remember back to 3dfx), just because they take on new technology doesn't mean they'll use it, they'll almost certainly destroy it.

Waymon: look at the resolution the test was conducted, 1280x768. That's not default res, so the test is skewed. In reality you're looking at the mid 4000s, that's not especially impressive. My X1900XT rig would pull half as much again, with a stock 4200+, let alone the duo I have now.

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

20. kardson

kardson Member

Long time since I posted last.

Just wanted to cut in and say I recently put my Gecube x1950xt away into its box where it will collect dust till my son's computer gets a needed power supply update.

I've upgraded from
    P4 640 3.0 ghz proc
    2gig ddr 400 ram
    Gecube x1950xt 256mb

to :
    Q6600 quad core @ 3.06ghz
    4gig ddr2 800 @ 845mhz
    ATI HD3870 w/ dynamic fan fix bios
    Windows Vista 64bit

New system SCREAMS! Finally off the AGP wagon WOoOhhOOoooo

Think I might have been better off waiting 1 month for the nvidia 9 series...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008