1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamada dvx 6600

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Daljinec, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fishily

fishily Member

@jami01

As you have found out later firmwares for the 6700 do not do packed firmware.

Only the first firmware will do packed bs, the 2nd and 3rd do not. If packed bs is important to you stick with the 1st firmware and put up with the bugs.

It will be interesting to see if packed bs support returns to later firmwares.

Cheers

Fish

2. jami01

jami01 Member

3. jami01

jami01 Member

4. jami01

jami01 Member

5. fishily

fishily Member

@jami01

Nice link, Thank you.

Like I said, the 3rd firmware doesn't support packed bs.

The biggest change is subtitles - 124 characters in 3 lines. Disappearing subs is fixed, sub sync-age is fixed like v2, ff is fixed like v2.

With my 6600 the big thing is packed bs, almost all the hacked firmware is fixing subs. Not a big deal for me being an anglophone. Almost all my downloads are packed bs and although unpacking it only takes minute, I really don't like doing it.

Again, thanks for the link

Fish

6. libero61

libero61 Member

Hi, i'm new to this, i've just got a yamada dvx6600 and dvx6700 i can't seem to get the subtitles on dvix or xvid to work i've tried many different versions of firmware, put the AVI and SRT file in the same folder and named the file the same burned them as data file on cd-r and cd-rw using nero, recordnow and easycd.
    both players see the avi file and play it but not the srt file and when i press the subtitles or aungle button i get a no entry sign comes up.
    can anyone help please

7. wobblyway

wobblyway Member

***fishily***

Just a quick note to say "Thanks" for all you helpful info/advice & your program to unpack the juddery films - you've solved all my 6600 problems.

*Big sloppy kiss!*

8. fishily

fishily Member

@wobblyway

Glad you found some of the stuff in the thread to be useful.

It seems while yamada and mediatek 'refuse' to sort out the packed bs problem on the yamada 6600, that this thread lingers on like some kind on zombie. I think it's nearly dead though. Most people buying new players are going to be getting 6700's and using the first firmware if downloading tv etc is their thing. Or buying the new sigma players if they have a load of spare cash.

Cheers

Fish

9. BigMuff

BigMuff Member

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP!

Over the last few months avi files on my Yamada dvx 6600 have started getting jerky. Someone told me i have to download the latest firmware to fix this problem.

I found a firmware. The latest firmware i could find was from August 4th 2004. I upgraded my dvd player with this firmware, but the avi files are still playing jerky.

All other files play ok...

Is there a more recent firmware update that will correct this problem? If so could someone give me the link to it as it's driving me insaneeeeeeeeeeee

Cheers :)

10. idoubtit

idoubtit Member

Hey Bigmuff try reading through the last 20-30 messages and you will get your answer. Unfort there is no firmware as yet to fix this, but there is a software solution called [bold]mpeg4modifier[/bold] you can download which is not ideal but really works. As I said read back through this topic for details.

Hope this helps.

11. zaf2005

zaf2005 Member

Hope someone can help ....

I have a Yamada DVX 6600 ... Whenever I watch some xvid movies, i can select them in the file browser window ... however upon selecting them, the movie fails to start, instead I hear the sound and I get a frozen file browser window (slightly expanded) !!!
    The only common thing I have noticed with these unplayable movies is that they seem to be of a high res. i.e. higher than 640 x 272 ... If i re-encode to a lower res, they play OK.

Is there a patch/workaround to resolve this problem as it seems a shame (and a lot of wasted re-encode time) to reduce the quality of the movies

p.s. I have the latest firmware loaded ...

Any help would be most appreciated ... Thx.

12. fishily

fishily Member

@Bigmuff

To save you looking back at the thread, here is the info you need.

So the jittering with newer xvid is the yamada trying to play packed bitstream. The solution is to remove the packed bistream with Mpeg4modifier. This can be found at

http://www.moitah.net/

download the binary

It need .Net, so install it at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

Another useful for telling you what encoding a file has is

http://w1.261.telia.com/~u26119659/Avicheck.exe

Which will give an output like this

Total Streams: 2
    Running Time: 0:44:06
    Index Chunk: Yes
    Interleaved: Yes
    Max Bytes Per Sec: 0
    AUDIO: 0 - AC3 (0x2000) --- Dolby Digital, it could say MP3
    Average bitrate Per Sec: 192 kb/s --- The bitrate, with MP3 it's often 128
    Samples Rate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits Per Sample: 0
    SuggestedBufferSize: 3840
    Sample Size: 1
    VIDEO: DIV3 --- The video type here DIVX 3, but could say XVID
    B-VOP: No --- No packed bitstream
    S(GMC)-VOP: No --- No GMC
    QuarterPixel: No --- No Qpel
    Frame Size: 512 x 384 --- The resolution, the yamada won't take above 720*576(in PAL)
    Frames Rate: 25.000
    Color Depth: 24
    Total Frames: 66171
    SuggestedBufferSize: 48548

Hopefully that helps explain lots of the previous threads.

Unofficial firmware with better subtitle support (only .srt) and better audio options is at

http://mtz.softpedia.com/

Hope that helps

PS Packed bitstream, GMC and Qpel are fine if it is a divx, for example if it say DX50 in avichecker.

Fish

13. fishily

fishily Member

@Zaf2005

The yamada won't take above 720*576 in PAL, less in NTSC. This is a limitation of the chipset and there is no workaround. Downloaded movies should not generally be higher than this, some high resolution TV episode that are 700mb are higher than this and won't play.

If it is a movie, re-encode, same with TV episodes. In future is downloading stuff, if it is TV go for the 350 mb version. If it is a movie check by starting the download and get enough to throw in avichecker to see the res.

Fish

14. baldrick

baldrick Member

Hi Fish!

I guess I can confirm that 6600 doesn't decode DTS. It says so also as DTS digital out, and the sound you get from DTS coded files is just some high pitched noise.
    Haven't tried yet with coax to receiver DTS decoding, becuse I do not have any.

15. zaf2005

zaf2005 Member

@Fishily

Many thanks for the reply .... at least i now know that I'm not going mad nor that there is a fault with my dvx 6600.

Thx.

16. kellaken

kellaken Member

I've just bought a second hand Yamada 6600 and would like to know how to find out which firmware is installed.......On my previous 6100 the procedure was open the tray and type 123....the version would then appear on the screen but it doesn't work on the 6600...Please help....Ta Ken

17. fishily

fishily Member

@baldrick

If you don't have a proper coaxial cable, you can sometimes use a normal audio/video phono to phono, you know the yellow-red-white ones. It depends, some work, some don't on some things if you know what I mean. The DTS not working from the analogue is not suprising since it would cost money :).

Fish

18. fishily

fishily Member

@baldrick

just re-read what you said, and I've reply assuming you meant you had no co-ax rather than you have no receiver which I now think it said. Sorry.

Fish

19. fishily

fishily Member

@Kellaken

You can get info about firmware by

Make sure there is no disk in the drive
    Press the Setup button on your remote control
    Move cursor to Preferences
    Press the 1 3 6 9 on your remote control

This won't help you much since yamada/meditek have been very poor with firmware update and the information there will not tell you if you have the latest modded firmware.

I would just go to

http://mtz.softpedia.com/

and download the latest modded firmware for the 6600, which at the time of writing is Yamada6600_1252_v15_Mtz if you are UK based or other roman alphabet based language. Make sure you do the resets mentioned in the gumpth.

Fish

20. kurgan666

kurgan666 Guest

The firmware support has been absolutely awful from yamada, less than a year old and lack of updates have almost killed it. I would never buy another Yamada product and will reccomend everyone I know to avoid them also.