1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamada dvx 6600

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Daljinec, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fishily

fishily Member

The only firmware fix I want is packed bistream support, adding GMC would be nice if the DE can support it, but lack of packed bitstream support is my major bugbear.

I don't really need subtitle support and so aren't really bothered that the 6700 has .sub support and ogg and the 6600 has only srt support.

Fish

2. jsbhachu

jsbhachu Member

does anyone know of any firmwares for the 6600 that support ogg vorbis audio or when they are coming out?

3. kurgan666

kurgan666 Guest

I don't think we will ever see another firmware release, but I hope I am wrong.

4. fishily

fishily Member

@jsbhachu

Your best hope is the chap from OpenMTK figuring out how the servo is controled in the firmware and porting the 6700 firmware to the 6600, assuming memory issues are not a problem.

Fish

5. BigMuff

BigMuff Member

Cheers fishily for all your help.
    Gonna check out everything you've recommended soon.
    If there's any problems no doubt i'll come back here again and ask for advice again

:)

6. BigMuff

BigMuff Member

Hi...

I tried everything you suggested Fishily but still had no joy :(
    The picture is still jerky when i play certain avi files.

I think it's time for me to purchase a new Divx Player. Does anyone out there no any good Divx players that have had nothing but rave reviews about the product (ideally in the same price range as Yamada AVI Players)

Cheers :)

7. fishily

fishily Member

@Bigmuff

Post the output from avichecker into the thread and the peeps here will look at it and see what the file is.

As far as better players, the mediatek chipset is one of the best. The only one better, ignoring the zoran in the seimssens one (not too sure how much better it really is, long story involving 3 point GMC), is the new sigma chipset which will be in the Kiss DP600.

You haven't said where you are from but the Kiss DP600 should be out in the UK fairly soon.

Don't replace you yamada without finding out what was wrong. You may just get the same thing with one of the new advanced players if you do not work out the problem.

Fish

8. kurg666

kurg666 Member

My Yamada 6600 which i have had for over a year seems to have died suddenly.
    It no longer reads *any* disk (have tried dvd-rs, dvdrws, cdrs and 'real' cds and dvds) making a high pitched whistling noise and clicking.

It doesn't take an expert to know that it is broken at this point but has anyone had any experience with this (or knows if - i doubt it - it is repairable)?
    I think it is out of warranty so I am screwed.

Does anyone have tips on a replacement with similar features/price? I would rather avoid yamada and go for one with more robust software support!.

Cheers!

9. baldrick

baldrick Member

The same happened to me, but luckily before the end of warranty. it looks like it is a classic on 6600 and in service they had spare parts (the optical drive itself) and replaced it. So just try to go to the repair shop and have it repaired.
    Good luck!

10. kurg666

kurg666 Member

Thanks for the tip!
    Where did you take it to get repaired?

11. musukebba

musukebba Guest

This is a known fault with an internal ribbon cable and may be easily repaired. See here:

http://my-yamada.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1984

12. kurg666

kurg666 Member

Thankyou!
    I cleaned the contacts and reinerted the cable and it is working again!

13. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Hi,

after reading through this tread I'm a little confused.

I want a player to play my DVD-r, avi and mpeg files that I have download, the latter two hopefully from CD, after searching I found the 6700 for £42 delivered.

1. does the player, play avi and mpeg files from cd
    2. is it worth the hassle of firm upgrades
    3. can anyone recomend another player

Regards
    Dayspring

14. peterpan1

peterpan1 Member

Hi there dayspring.

1) Yes the player does play AVI and mpeg files from cd, but you wont get much on 700MB media...
    2) Big YES to the "hassle" :) of firmware upgrades, check out the following sites to see the kind of unofficial support offered:
    http://mtz.softpedia.com/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=2&Itemid=4
    http://voyager222.no-ip.com/pyps/yamada6700_more.html
    3) I couldnt possibly recommed anything else for that kind of price. Using a 6600 at the moment, considering a 6700 myself (upgraded a friends 6700, def a good buy)
    Trust I was helpful.

15. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Peterpan 1

Thanks for the note very helpful.

The links were very hepful, all i want to do is play my torrent files on this baby I usally download the 700mb files so I don't have the hassel of converting to DVD and with CD's so very cheap it seams ideal. I have to be sure this can do this straight from download to play (any help/comments here would be good)

Assuming it does, what DO I have to do once i have brought it i.e.

1. I unpack it
    2. how do I make it multi region,
    3. firm up grades (I assume these are only for subs)(is there one big upgrade file somewhere that will do everything
    4. disable micro vision
    5. etc (what else do I need to do to make it kick a**)

Thanks for any help here

Dayspring

16. kurg666

kurg666 Member

it is multi region out of the box.
    Macrovision I'm not sure about.

Essentially you just burn the files to dvd and stick them in the machine but there are some that may require a little tinkering wih to remove the packed bitstream.

17. peterpan1

peterpan1 Member

DaySpring

Whether you burn to cd or dvd is irrelevant as to how good the video playback is on the 6600/6700 yamada player.

You will find that 99% of downloaded series, any series, incorporates packed bitstream technology. 6600 cannot and most probably NEVER will support it. The 6700 model supports it for the first firmware only, and any modified firmwares thereafter based on it.

If you have a packed bit stream file (not only for series, some full feature movies have this technology incorporated also) it will be jerky on the 6600 and the 6700(unless u have the 1st firmware on it).

To diagnose and remove any packed bit stream element from a video file you must use the following progam: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=680 (MPEG MODIFIER)
    (which can be also found on the websites I gave u above).Once you run this program is will tell you if its packed, allowing you to resave it WITHOUT packed bitstream(and thus avoiding any jerkiness)

The 6600 comes region free. For the 6700 - http://www.divx-xvid-players.co.uk/...codes/yamada-dvx-6700-multi-region-codes.html
    Mind you, saying that, if you use a modified firmware it automatically
    becomes region free.

Finally, keep an eye out on the sites I've given you so far, and just keep reading strings like this...

Macro vision? Dont know, havent really bothered...

Good Luck

18. dayspring

dayspring Guest

Wow Peterpan 1 - thats a lot of info for me to take in.

If I understand it correctly what you are saying is that if i buy the 6700 i will have to upgrade the firmware this will make it multi if it is not and stop any jerky picture.

I still don't understand about this unpacking the stream - do i still have to do this to the movies I download to burn to CD to play on my 6700 or is this only for the 6600.

looking on the Kelkoo site for the uk and searching for DivX there are a few players if they play DivX Xvid Mpeg4 will they play avi files if they don't state it?

Thanks for any help still undesided if to buy the 6700

Dayspring

19. meanieme

meanieme Member

read peterpans post again you are nearly right :)

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  20. peterpan1

peterpan1 Member

Thank you meanieme... :)